• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops are gonna start a war.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Parliament is dangerous due to the Covid virus even if the country is in extreme trouble.
    Crowded mass protests are acceptable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
      Parliament is dangerous due to the Covid virus even if the country is in extreme trouble.
      Crowded mass protests are acceptable though.
      Privileged people like JT have no concept of getting anything done because everything has been handed to them on a silver player their entire life .
      The Budget will balance itself ..... 🙄

Comment

Remember? Power to the People and John Lennon. Nothing new.

And then in 1970 the FLQ, leftest leaning group who issued propaganda accusing “White, Anglo-Saxon Imperialists” of oppression. Pierre invoked the war measures act.
        Last edited by sumdumguy; Jun 8, 2020, 03:13.

Comment

FLQ and similar uprisings against govts has been ongoing forever. Swings like a pendulum

So much that is called racism is also the battle of the HAVE NOTS against the HAVES. It also goes both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            You seem to have trouble with English language comprehension. Those aren't opportunities, those are factors that conspire to keep people from taking full advantage of opportunities presented to them on a silver platter.

If first nations are so well off because "opportunities are presented to them on a sliver platter". How come first nations receive less funding per child for primary and secondary education, their incomes are lower, poverty rates are higher, their health is worse, their housing is terrible, they don't have potable drinking water? The reality is many first nations live in third world conditions and suffer from the ongoing trauma of residential schools and systemic racism. Which have all been well documented.

Lets look at some specific barriers to post secondary education.

https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/documents/research/policy-briefs/PolicyBrief-Post%20Secondary%20Education%20in%20Canada.pdf https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/documents/research/policy-briefs/PolicyBrief-Post%20Secondary%20Education%20in%20Canada.pdf

Barriers to Post Secondary Education from U of R

"Currently, only “status Indians” are eligible to receive federal funding support for university, and there has been a cap on the federal funding since 1996. Annual increases have been limited to two per cent, which is often lower than annual university tuition increases. Even if a student is eligible for the federal funding, the funding is decided and distributed at the community level. As a result, in many communities there is simply not enough funding available to support the growing number of students who wish to pursue a university education. In 2009, for example, more than 5,000 eligible Aboriginal students could not access federal funding for their post-secondary education (Laboucane, 2010).Communities often have guidelines that students may find challenging, such as maintaining a certain grade point average, specific course load, and certain attendance criteria. These are not illegitimate conditions, but need to be taken into account in efforts to accommodate and advance Aboriginal education. Another challenge is that a community may focus on students who are recent high school graduates, leaving mature learners without funding support.

There are multiple other barriers Aboriginal students uniquely face. Many live in the north, with no or minimal access to university education in their home communities or regions. Students often have to relocate to attend university, and end up leaving their support networks behind. It also is very expensive to leave the north and live in the south. In addition, students often find it challenging to obtain the funding to go home for holidays and summer. There are few jobs for students in their home communities, so they do not have the opportunity to save for school.

In summary, the financial obstacles and lack of support students from our north experience are significant. Geography and finances can also pose barriers to post-secondary access for non-Aboriginal students, but coupled with the legacies of colonialism, such limits to access can be heightened for Aboriginal students.

Another Call to Action from the TRC is requiring “the federal government to eliminate the discrepancy in federal education funding for First Nations children being educated on reserves and those First Nations children being educated off reserves”. This highlights the importance of all Aboriginal people being treated fairly. A first principle in education should state that where you live should not have a significantly negative impact on either access to or support for education"
            Last edited by chuckChuck; Jun 8, 2020, 07:12.

Comment

All these things are true.
              But maintaining special status is racism of another kind.
              Keeps them isolated and teaches our kids to stay guilty and keep paying.
              Deed their land end the checks. No more special anything.
              Sorry I never took the time to cut paste peer reviewed articles.

Comment

There are entire RMs without any schools at all yet every reserve has pretty new one.

Tuituions is free and they have their own university which they control the curriculum.

Please tell me the education barrier again.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  If first nations are so well off because "opportunities are presented to them on a sliver platter". How come first nations receive less funding per child for primary and secondary education, their incomes are lower, poverty rates are higher, their health is worse, their housing is terrible, they don't have potable drinking water? The reality is many first nations live in third world conditions and suffer from the ongoing trauma of residential schools and systemic racism. Which have all been well documented.

Lets look at some specific barriers to post secondary education.

https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/documents/research/policy-briefs/PolicyBrief-Post%20Secondary%20Education%20in%20Canada.pdf https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/documents/research/policy-briefs/PolicyBrief-Post%20Secondary%20Education%20in%20Canada.pdf

Barriers to Post Secondary Education from U of R

"Currently, only “status Indians” are eligible to receive federal funding support for university, and there has been a cap on the federal funding since 1996. Annual increases have been limited to two per cent, which is often lower than annual university tuition increases. Even if a student is eligible for the federal funding, the funding is decided and distributed at the community level. As a result, in many communities there is simply not enough funding available to support the growing number of students who wish to pursue a university education. In 2009, for example, more than 5,000 eligible Aboriginal students could not access federal funding for their post-secondary education (Laboucane, 2010).Communities often have guidelines that students may find challenging, such as maintaining a certain grade point average, specific course load, and certain attendance criteria. These are not illegitimate conditions, but need to be taken into account in efforts to accommodate and advance Aboriginal education. Another challenge is that a community may focus on students who are recent high school graduates, leaving mature learners without funding support.
                  Interesting choice of words they use, with repeated use of the word community. So how I interpret that is that the cleptocracy that is the band council is not distributing the funds equally or appropriately. So that definitely sounds like a lack of opportunity if one is not amongst the privileged few with control over the funds. How do you read that? Perhaps the " community" isn't the best entity for distributing said funding?

The second bold statement regarding basing funding on academic merit, and showing up for classes, last I checked, those racist policies apply to the rest of us too, even though we we don't get mostly free tuition.
                  There are multiple other barriers Aboriginal students uniquely face. Many live in the north, with no or minimal access to university education in their home communities or regions. Students often have to relocate to attend university, and end up leaving their support networks behind. It also is very expensive to leave the north and live in the south.
                  Really? more expensive to live in the south than the north? Every cost of living index for Canada that I have seen indicates it is completely the opposite, and drastically so, the further north you go. I would like to see their sources for that statement.

All of the concerns you bring up point to a simple solution. Free universal education including room and board and relocation costs, remove the students from the negative influence of parents and community, and ensure that they all have equal access to this service. Then you go and proclaim that residential schools are part of the problem? Propose a better solution? I can, perhaps we should try it without the church being involved this time...
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 8, 2020, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Interesting choice of words they use, with repeated use of the word community. So how I interpret that is that the cleptocracy that is the band council is not distributing the funds equally or appropriately. So that definitely sounds like a lack of opportunity if one is not amongst the privileged few with control over the funds. How do you read that? Perhaps the " community" isn't the best entity for distributing said funding?

The second bold statement regarding basing funding on academic merit, and showing up for classes, last I checked, those racist policies apply to the rest of us too, even though we we don't get mostly free tuition.
                    Really? more expensive to live in the south than the north? Every cost of living index for Canada that I have seen indicates it is completely the opposite, and drastically so, the further north you go. I would like to see their sources for that statement.

All of the concerns you bring up point to a simple solution. Free universal education including room and board and relocation costs, remove the students from the negative influence of parents and community, and ensure that they all have equal access to this service. Then you go and proclaim that residential schools are part of the problem? Propose a better solution? I can, perhaps we should try it without the church being involved this time...
                    They are referring to the cost of travel by air. But you wouldn't know that because you don't travel to remote northern reserves by air.

I don't think you read the report. Do you think the U of R made up all the barriers? Show us your evidence. If you are not busy?

How do you know how the bands are distributing the funds? There only several hundred of them! Is this the "everywhere" generalization again. Still haven't learned your lesson yet? LOL

Comment

They are referring to the cost of travel by air. But you wouldn't know that because you don't travel to remote northern reserves by air.

I don't think you read the report. Do you think the U of R made up all the barriers? Show us your evidence. If you are not busy?

How do you know how the bands are distributing the funds? There only several hundred of them! Is this the "everywhere" generalization again. Still haven't learned your lesson yet? LOL
                      It was a question. They don't Define community in the article. So I asked you what You think that refers to. You have a better explanation? I won't bother waiting for your response.

Comment

Trudeau decides RCMP must move forward with body cameras. Hold your breath. I suspect there will be a push-back, delay-delay-delay.

Comment

This is getting ridiculous now ....
                          https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/defund-the-police-movement-gathers-momentum-in-canada-1.4974625

Our city would turn into a raging lawless slum like some areas in Mexico without adequate police presence.
                          Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 8, 2020, 16:24.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlbertaFarmer5;454833]It was a question. They don't Define community in the article. So I asked you what You think that refers to. You have a better explanation? I won't bother waiting for your response.[/QUOTE

It’s pretty obvious it means the band.
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Jun 8, 2020, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              This is getting ridiculous now ....
                              https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/defund-the-police-movement-gathers-momentum-in-canada-1.4974625

Our city would turn into a raging lawless slum like some areas in Mexico without adequate police presence.
                              I'm sure that this movement is a totally organic, spontaneous thing, right?

Like, nobody would be working behind the scenes for a long time already to destabilize western society, would they?

And now is the right time to push their subversion into the public sphere when their plants are fomenting broad, social unrest, surely not.

Defund the police -They don't know what they are asking for.

There are far more useful idiots in this society than the handful with whom we are so familiar.

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...