• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Payment Program

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
    5 year fixed is 2.3%. 10 year fixed is 3% or less and can be written off. Just curious why that needs to return 1.5 to 1?
    And when your competitions is will to leverage 4 to 1 how do you compete? If you don’t buy land or grow you have a very poor business as you know. You can scale your other business’ but very difficult to scale primary agricutlure. There is a reason 97% of farms are family farms because normal business practises don’t work. Every Corp who has tried has failed

Comment

5 year fixed is 2.3%. 10 year fixed is 3% or less and can be written off. Just curious why that needs to return 1.5 to 1?
      That is the exact same comment in business circles

"Debt is cheap so why does it need a return!?!"

Answer: because shit happens and when you're highly leveraged you are f**Ed and relying on government programs.

Point in case: look at Canada's business environment right now.

Anyway I'm gone again for a few 😏

Comment

And when your competitions is will to leverage 4 to 1 how do you compete? If you don’t buy land or grow you have a very poor business as you know. You can scale your other business’ but very difficult to scale primary agricutlure. There is a reason 97% of farms are family farms because normal business practises don’t work. Every Corp who has tried has failed
        Not everyone. My neighbour seeds 100,000 acres and does it better than most.

Comment

Zephyr, I'm probably too late, if you said you will be gone for a while, but I would be curious as to how you accumulated the seed capital to start your enterprise to begin with. When personal income taxes are so prohibitively high, but you need a viable profitable business to justify getting into corporate tax rates, so that one can reinvest the profits and grow a business, how do you ever save up the capital to get started?
          The way the system works, it helps the big get bigger, and almost locks anyone on the outside from ever getting a foot in the door, having to compete while paying multiple times more taxes on every dollar.

This has been a very big pet peeve of mine, from the first time I paid any taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            Not everyone. My neighbour seeds 100,000 acres and does it better than most.
            When I say Corp I don’t mean a family Corp I’m talking about public company or multiple investors/BOD type structure

Comment

When I say Corp I don’t mean a family Corp I’m talking about public company or multiple investors/BOD type structure
              One main guy and his investors from out of the province. Not a family Corp.

Comment

I am pretty old Zephyr and during our life we never feared debt. We would have never had a farm without it, nor would we have expanded. Furthermore when a business opportunity presented itself to us, we leveraged some bonds into a low-interest loan because we were up to our eyeballs in debt. Our moral is - Have no fear. You did well and your advice isn’t wrong, its just wouldn’t have served us very well. Good Luck with all of your future endeavors🍀
                Last edited by sumdumguy; May 24, 2020, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                  Have you priced out a new cnc mill? Or a robotic welder? Makes a combine look cheap.
                  Like I said, used to a pretty nice fellar now he is a welder.
                  Last edited by makar; May 24, 2020, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                    Have you priced out a new cnc mill? Or a robotic welder? Makes a combine look cheap.
                    Anyone that has a machine like that is using numbers to include a profit on every piece made along with a replacement and maintenance cost built into the price of the piece machined...

When still at Ipsco and designing the quote coming back from Brandt Industrial or Hylar/degelman were always very close but when explained they had to factor in keeping the lights on and staying up to date ...

Farmers are not afforded that luxury . So while I appreciate your comment ...its not valid.

And to add ...those businesses are receiving government money as well all along to keep updating....

If you think Degelman , Brandt, dyna Industrial were built without government money....you are dreaming in 3D technicolor.
                    Last edited by bucket; May 25, 2020, 07:42.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...