• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change in Rotation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodland View Post
    30 miles .......... was that yourself or a contractor? Hats off either way as there’s a lot of other work besides just the posts and wire.
    Most myself but with someone helping me to pound posts. It's all electric 1 or 2 wire so not the work of your multi-wire or net fences.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
      We’ve started doing that as it’s frustrating having calves out in the ditch especially along the pavement which is quite a few miles for us. The cost is a little more but the maintenance seems lower on the stretches that have been in for 30 years at home vs barb wire. Gone to 8 foot posts as well which helps in the hills a lot. Hopefully it’ll be a generation or more before it needs attention......... 😉
      I've been thinking about going that way too. Looks to be double the wire cost. What happens when a moose lays on it or a car goes through it? Can you repair it easy enough? Just put a piece in and bend it around? Kinda hard to stretch?

Comment

Jazz, Judging by the direction this thread took, Looks like you should add fenceposts to your rotation.

I have planted many acres of fenceposts in the past , And I have also harvested a lot of them.

I have observed that they rarely reproduce.

Occasionally one becomes two, but the Total weight remains the same.

Harvest losses can be high, Testing on how many years you let them grow first.

I've also noticed that the seat pricing is similar to canola. Seed posts are worth a lot more than Post harvest a few years later.

But perhaps I just don't fertilize them heavy enough, For my fungicide timing has been off. I also don't recommend applying PGR's.
        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 12, 2019, 08:08.

Comment

We were in the cattle business for 30 yrs. You couldnt give me 100 head of cattle right now. We went through hell with them in the 80s trying to feed and water them. Calving in storms. Yes its nice diversifcation from crops but comes at a big price too.

Thats half the reason we relocated to Regina where people could be just grain farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...