• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth growing canola? ???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to be a god damn moron to handle this situation this way. It's the tax collection treaties and access to the swift system we have with the US that's forced the hand to arrest this lady in the first place. Very good points were raised that we could have diverted her, or informed her. Also could have had her delivered to the US before it hit the press, if you weren't trying to make hay politically with her. Interesting that it was this week a year ago soybeans came off the top. Now we are in a situation where economically, China is hurting, their hog herd has been reduced by a third since 2014 due to various factors. This isn't good folks. I suspect they'll be $7-$8 canola bids in the fallout of this. That's IF we have access to the US market and the conservatives or dems don't put a halt to USMCA.

Comment

Potash that’s interesting, not sure if we can survive any tit for tat battles, but..

What if the sask govt were to increase provincial tax, royalty, or whatever scheme on potash to off set:
      Regionalized climate change 😀
      Carbon offset (_ax) 😀
      Provide sustainability support for interprovincial/ Fed transfer program 😀
      Freight rejuvenation and sustainability programming 😀

What ever, you want to call it ( not _ariff), fund provincial coffers program.

Hate to put one industry against the other, but
      Last edited by Rareearth; Mar 5, 2019, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Yes, we start negotiating acceptance into the Union of States south of us immediately. They are the only ones with any leverage in trade negotiations with China, they will win the trade war with China, and China will do as they say if they want to survive as an industrialized exporting nation. There is zero point in being on the outside looking in, our survival depends on being a part of that. Who here has connections with Washington to get the ball rolling?
        The signs at the Conservative rallies need to say "The West Wants Out, Not In".

Comment

What the hell happened today with China and Richardson international.

Canola down.

Little potato is done.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
            What the hell happened today with China and Richardson international.

Canola down.

Little potato is done.
            Contracts cancelled with Richardson, Viterra and somebody else. Trumps big china deal on tap.

Can I interest you in a discussion on the intersection of gender diversity with canola prices?

Comment

Last sentence sums it up....

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                Trudeau has handled the SNC case badly.

But what would have been the right way to handle the Huawei case without interfering in a criminal case for extradition?

Do you want Andrew Scheer to let her go and what impact would that have on US relations?

The reality is China is in a trade war with the US and we are collateral damage. Australia has pissed them off as well.
                We are a land of laws.....so it was the right thing to hand her over the Americans. If you don't live in a land of laws, you turn in to Russia, China, Saudia Arabia, Iran, etc etc. How many of you would like to make any of those places to lay your head down every night????

I'm proud to live in a country with a constitution that we live by, so as much as it pains me, and every other farmer on the prairies, to have an event like this effect our canola market, right is right and wrong is wrong. They did the right thing.

Honestly if your saying it was the right thing to just give her back to the Chinese, then your basically saying our fearless leader did nothing wrong in the SNC Lavin scandal. The law is the law.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyFarmer View Post
                  We are a land of laws.....so it was the right thing to hand her over the Americans. If you don't live in a land of laws, you turn in to Russia, China, Saudia Arabia, Iran, etc etc. How many of you would like to make any of those places to lay your head down every night????

I'm proud to live in a country with a constitution that we live by, so as much as it pains me, and every other farmer on the prairies, to have an event like this effect our canola market, right is right and wrong is wrong. They did the right thing.

Honestly if your saying it was the right thing to just give her back to the Chinese, then your basically saying our fearless leader did nothing wrong in the SNC Lavin scandal. The law is the law.

Not give her back to the Chinese. ...but let the Americans deal with it.....

Trudeau had the option to do something different....that didn't make us ...as in western Canadian farmers.....collateral damage..

Comment

I think Trudeau’s plan was to protect her from big bad USA. Maybe she votes😹

Comment

They need to send an envoy to China or even get communication going again to smooth this over. Don’t give up Meng though. There’s more to this than us simple bumpkins see. However, with the state of disarray the federal government is in that won’t be happening anytime soon. Her extradition will be tied up in the court long enough to see events which will prevent her from going stateside. China’s reaction is typical of someone we shouldn’t be doing business with anyway. Instead of getting confrontational with the Americans we should at least entertain them and stroke their ego. China will break eventually and anyone depending on them will be collateral damage. At least this pissing match is early enough we can make changes to canola acres or be prepared to store if possible. I honestly wonder if China is already out of money and trying to bomb the market.

Comment

Most farms can’t afford not to grow canola.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                          Canola - ag - more than ever !

We need to say enough........

Comment

At least this china shit has hit the fan before the canola is in the ground. We need a new thread about what to replace canola acres with now. Right now I'm planning to cancel a third of my canola acre seed. Current bid is $9.50/bu locally. There's no money in that and God forbid it goes to $7-$8 by fall. Feed wheat looks good by comparison. Who has a favorite variety? Does Faller have proper legs on it?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                              Contracts cancelled with Richardson, Viterra and somebody else. Trumps big china deal on tap.

Can I interest you in a discussion on the intersection of gender diversity with canola prices?
                              So they sent the message thru the Canadian companies, now will they let the multi-nationals unload the boats?

Those same companies will be shipping commodities from other countries and will be leary about trading if they are getting screwed on canola

Probably own processing plants there.

Comment

Trump completely set up Trudeau and Freeland on this .
                                Freeland and JT tried to embarrass the president of the US a year ago . Trump no chump , he seen this coming and laid it on the Canadians lap now . He will stroke a deal with China , Canada will be left out looking like complete fools .
                                Anyone remember that ignorant T shirt that Freeland wore to the first meeting with the Trump organization???? And the press was soooo proud ??
                                Well Trump never forgot that slap in the face , this was set up as a slap in the face , don’t **** with me lesson to Canada’s Liberals .... open the eyes to reality folks... this just cost us all a fortune on the back of Freeland and Trudeau.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...