• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New seed royalties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still trying to figure out seed business. Do seed growers have to buy new registered seed every year to be able to sell product as certified?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      I think once they are done with the grain guys they will start a royalty scheme on livestock as well....just wait....

Buying purebred bull is the same as buying a new variety. ....not sure why we need royalties on grain...
      Most likely, this industry is a shitshow at best and getting worse.

Comment

Anyone know if it is legal for grain cos to just take an automatic one percent dock on feed barley ?
        One company does an actual dockage on our loads and it always .2 -.3 % . The other one just takes 1% . This is $45 we are losing every load ?
        I bet it gets sold at other end with no dock , certainly doesnt get cleaned ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Anyone know if it is legal for grain cos to just take an automatic one percent dock on feed barley ?
          One company does an actual dockage on our loads and it always .2 -.3 % . The other one just takes 1% . This is $45 we are losing every load ?
          Every elevator here doing the same , unless you call them on it and force them to do a dockage .

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
            Are we going to allow the seed synergy group to steam roll us? Where are our producer groups on this issue? not hearing much out of them.
            I guess you weren't listening either when one producer group spelled out the dangers and implored farmers to make their views known - back in 2004
            http://www.nfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2005/12/uf_december_2004_january_2005.pdf http://https://www.nfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2005/12/uf_december_2004_january_2005.pdf

and constantly since then including this from 2012
            http://www.nfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NFU-Seeds-Factsheet-6.pdf http://https://www.nfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NFU-Seeds-Factsheet-6.pdf

Time to face reality - most of you weren't paying attention when you had the chance to influence the outcome and must accept some responsibility for that. It's too little too late starting to complain now.

Comment

In my mind the method of collection is not the issue.
              Our opportunity to use any off patent variety freely.
              Without restriction. Is the issue.

Then seed breeders can charge whatever they want.
              And collect it by whatever method.
              And the market place will determine how much compensation, they receive. For the improvements they have
              Made. Compared to off patent stuff

The problem arises , when the seed Co.s , or grain Co.s restrict.
              Or eliminate the off patent choices.

The reason that there is only 10-15% range in canola seed prices..
              When lower performing varieties should be available
              At 40-50% cost of the best ones.

If that restricted choice market is what you want in the future.
              For every crop.
              Then just keep buying the BS

The seed growers are just another tool for the seed
              Companies . And they are disposable too when it is all done.
              As are public and grower breeding programs when the time is right.

Comment

If the CDC was for sale what would the price be?

That’s University of Saskatchewan Crop Development Center

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  Dockage is recorded to the nearest.1%. As in Grain Guide and is the law.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                    Dockage is recorded to the nearest.1%. As in Grain Guide and is the law.
                    Unless you haul to my local... its 1.5% on cereals whether its there or not...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                      Unless you haul to my local... its 1.5% on cereals whether its there or not...
                      "TOOKAGE" definition:

The difference between the actual dockage and what was taken above that amount.

Comment

BGMB....
                        we have been sidetracked I believe!!!

This seed royalty issue... is already 100% in the control of plant breeders/seedcos right now.[look at Canola and private varieties today] PBR is the law now... PERIOD. UPOV 78 and 91 gives PBR legal teeth.
                        We are being distracted... an easier more 'palatable' contractual system... is already enforceable...[Again PBR]
                        Seed Synergy... is [should be I maintain] really about the administrative cost... of maintaining varieties 'stock seed' distribution function... [Breeder seed [seed lots] till the variety is in commercial growers ownership for seed multiplication ] ... the 'value add'...for all farmers... should be about how to LOWER ADMINISTRATIVE COST TO INTRODUCE NEW VARIETIES and maintain genetic purity on present good varieties of planting seed. AGAIN... PLANT BREEDERS/Seed Co's HAVE EXISTING Plant Breeders Registration...PBR... LAW TO COLLECT... WHATEVER .... THEY CHOOSE [BREEDERS/Seed Co's]... THROUGH ... CONTRACTS [available to them NOW...IF THEY WANT] ...[just like canola and private varieties that require new planting seed each year]
                        WE SHOULD BE WORKING ON ... LOWERING OVERHEAD COSTS[TO COMMERCIAL GRAIN PRODUCTION ULTIMATELY... TO BECOME MORE COMPETITIVE... INTERNATIONALLY ON GLOBAL FRONT.
                        Cheers! Merry Christmas!!

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                        Are we going to allow the seed synergy group to steam roll us? Where are our producer groups on this issue? not hearing much out of them.

I can't figure out why seed companies think they should get special treatment from the government. Seems like they want a legislated system to collect payments from farmers. What ever happened to the free market? There is absolutely nothing stopping a seed company from requiring royalty payments on saved seed with a contract or requiring that new seed be purchased every as is the case in Canola and Soybeans.

This BS would be like farmers demanding a checkoff from grain companies to fund research for our farms with the idea that grain companies need to support our R and D in order for us farmers to supply them with quality grain.

I am happy to pay for good wheat varieties but show me the goods first.

Comment

As explained recently, synergy is another name for "collusion".

Comment

Checking,
                            I agree... the 'lack of clear vision' is troubling. The 700 member owners of Secan... which is a non-profit seed group... that has unrestricted membership by any Canadian farmer who needs clear transparent access to quality seeds.... is a good start to assure we move in a direction that seeks a profitable outcome for Canadian commercial farmers... who grow grain especially in Western Canada.

There are approximately 3500 seed [farmer]growers [CSGA members yearly registering] ...in Canada... the vast number of which desire a competitive efficient transparent Canadian seed system that produces best quality grain for global endusers who must provide high quality food tor a world that demands safe, nutritious food.
                            This is what we need to focus on... and be better equipped to provide.
                            Cheers!
                            Originally posted by checking View Post
                            As explained recently, synergy is another name for "collusion".

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                              Checking,
                              I agree... the 'lack of clear vision' is troubling. The 700 member owners of Secan... which is a non-profit seed group... that has unrestricted membership by any Canadian farmer who needs clear transparent access to quality seeds.... is a good start to assure we move in a direction that seeks a profitable outcome for Canadian commercial farmers... who grow grain especially in Western Canada.

There are approximately 3500 seed [farmer]growers [CSGA members yearly registering] ...in Canada... the vast number of which desire a competitive efficient transparent Canadian seed system that produces best quality grain for global endusers who must provide high quality food tor a world that demands safe, nutritious food.
                              This is what we need to focus on... and be better equipped to provide.
                              Cheers!
                              Only 3500 seed growers and CGC and CSGA couldn't/wouldn't trace Triffid flax back to culprit that let it out? In fact I don't think all 3500 had access to original seed stock. Transparency should have started with the growers names that had that access and obviously caused all the problems.

Comment

I am really interested in a valid answer to walters question ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...