• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Probe removed from RM of Sherwood council

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll put out a challenge to any LEP type of council member.

You support having your council (and every other council) allowing open council proceedings to be recorded live in some fashion (or multiple fashions) for the public at large; heck even as far as the internet reaches....and I will have no need to expose the situations which I have found to be true.

In most cases all that I have reported is in the adopted minutes; which I have repeated verbatum. That information is never meant to be cleansed or subject to rewriting and its just too bad that so few ratepayers have an active desire to know what has happened or is happening.

Comment

I have no problem with any of that.

I also have no problem defending any decision. But what council does is "thankless" and is "cheap" imo.

9 townships by 3 townships and total per diems of all members of council total 45k. Hardly spendy.

Comment

Well LEP...there's a big difference between saying you have "no problem with that" and actually promoting that idea; and a further bigger gap in seeing it implemented. I'm willing to wait for your next council meeting and your reporting back to this forum what the outcome is. When that happens please tell the audience exactly where we can see the quite progressive idea both of us apparently agree on.

I await your relaying how it turned out; where to tune in and I will then congratulate yourself for doing what only a rare few councils have done in that area of accountability

If council's is as reasonable as you have portrayed; then I see no reason for a big disappointment. Please keep us informed; but until then I will move forward on other fronts so as not to afford just another couple months stonewalling delays.

Comment

So, is one of those fronts getting ready to run in your division next election?

Actually none of our meetings are in camera. Ratepayers welcome anytime.

Comment

Maybe need to look at recorded meetings as a way of council covering their own ass.....but then there will be accusations of having a meeting before the meeting.

Got to wonder if a more divisive council yields better results

Comment

There was one too many chirps made about "peanut galleries"

And a meeting before the open council meeting. Well what would you call having an hour scheduled from 5:00 to 6:00 pm. Regular meeting at 6:00 pm. Must not like the kids or the cooking at home or something. Could it be used to advantage to discuss parts of the agenda; so everyone is on the same page.

Never heard of anyone respecting the rule that council members DECLARE, DISCLOSE, ABSTAIN, REFRAIN AND LEAVE when it come to "supper hour".

LEP doesn't appear sincere in championing making it easier for his "peanut gallery" and making it more convenient (using today's technology) to enable those who say they location, time, inconvenience et al ad infinitum of attending council meetings or keeping up on decisions is too big a hardship.

As it is; we all know that LEP isn't much interested in more full accountability. Maybe its like one councillor explained a decade ago..... worried about getting caught picking their nose or scratching their hairy chest let alone having your name connected to moving a motion.

I would certainly like to be proven wrong; but what a waste of time counting on seeing the discussion and reasoning that goes into a raft of policies and bylaws that aren't uniformly adhered to,

Three cheers for those in the gallery; the reporters from the media and those who are emailing adopted council minutes. Well the minutes of rare RM's actually did happen a few months ago; but it took 30 some years of advocating for that simple step.

Oh I forgot those things don't happen through council initiatives. They have to be told by someone like the Ombudsman.

Municipal amalgamation is inevitable and is coming BECAUSE of those who say they see no problem.

And finally; some people wouldn't know what a volunteer was until they get paid to oversee the community recreation boards etc. Apparently only the paid employees expect to get any respect.
              Last edited by oneoff; Feb 11, 2018, 01:35.

Comment

So asks LEP.

The answer is: No not until the overwhelming majority of councillors begins acting as elected representatives are supposed to do. I'm waiting for the ratepayers and residents to get caught up as to how those councillors have acted as well. You know there is such a thing as an aware electorate who understands the importance of democratic governance. Then there is the rare thought of being sought out by the electorate for what should be considered as both an honor and duty.

And finally you assume that someone would run as one of the six councillors. Maybe having actually read the Municipal Act, knowing what conflicts of interest are; being able to see both sides of a story; followed council closely for some decades; seen things first hand; and potentially being able to apply motions and bylaws in a uniform manner (in similar circumstances) would qualify a person for nothing less than being the reeve at even your council table.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post

So asks LEP.

The answer is: No not until the overwhelming majority of councillors begins acting as elected representatives are supposed to do. I'm waiting for the ratepayers and residents to get caught up as to how those councillors have acted as well. You know there is such a thing as an aware electorate who understands the importance of democratic governance. Then there is the rare thought of being sought out by the electorate for what should be considered as both an honor and duty.

And finally you assume that someone would run as one of the six councillors. Maybe having actually read the Municipal Act, knowing what conflicts of interest are; being able to see both sides of a story; followed council closely for some decades; seen things first hand; and potentially being able to apply motions and bylaws in a uniform manner (in similar circumstances) would qualify a person for nothing less than being the reeve at even your council table.
                  😀 I believe I just heard the cracking of peanut shells.

Comment

I believe I can see the end of "LEP's" attitude

Comment

Good luck getting asked to be Reeve as apparently in your opinion its the only thing your qualified to be asked to do on council.

Bahaha.

Comment

For those of you (which are the goodly majorities sharing each and every perspective)...just what is society to do when the judges; and "FBI type institutions"; and elected representatives are all seen as tainted; biased and not impartial.

Society and democracy is obviously left with no respect for the law; but only firmly held beliefs that are not open to debate and actual facts and the decisions of courts and judges that are held in contempt by too many.

Divided societies which have little in common across lines drawn as permanent red zones.

Don't you see what is inevitable?????

Why would someone encourage others to get on council and then disparage, bully and demean those persons... There is no intent to break the good thing some councils have going for themselves by way of use of inside knowledge; protection of themselves, friends and associates and potential substantial financial benefit, and now satisfaction that they have taxpayer supported soapbox to promote their status quo and their long term self preservation.

I'd run on impartiality and accountability...and accept nothing less. And seeing as how the public gets the government they deserve; there's a need for support for those ideals as a prerequisite.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Maybe need to look at recorded meetings as a way of council covering their own ass.....but then there will be accusations of having a meeting before the meeting.

Got to wonder if a more divisive council yields better results
                          The local rm council in my area had quite a few "meetings before the meetings" a year or so back, reason being the reeve had egg on his face for hiring a new administrator that wasn't worth a damn, and wasn't willing to compensate the admin asst for doing the work of two people when the administrator bailed on them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...