• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End of the Week Thursday Report.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aware of that. Merely pointing out that it was illegal for your board grains.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
      Of course there will be wall to wall canola. What else are farmers going to grow to make profit? Seriously, what else is there to grow for a profit?
      Canola takes little to no talent to grow. Wheat it tougher to grow. This year our wheat is every bit as profitable as canola and once you get into a 3 year rotation yields of everything climb

Comment

Horse in my opinion in australia what killed single desk was not the principle but the cost of running it. Was obscene in the end apparently close to $40 per tonne and AWB had pool sales and cash sales and was a fair bit of smoke and mirrors.

But the advent of black sea becoming the big kahuna in the wheat market single desk in 2017 would have trouble against black sea a race to the bottom

Comment

Another comment from a trader freind who worked at awb and i quote if remember one conversation towards the end "its just so hard to sell a huge amount of wheat with only 2 single desks" meaning your and ours.

Maybe free markets here in austrakia dont have impediments like you guys being freight costs, availability and a orderly manner of handling freight, and lack of bulk handling storage facitlities, plus you have crazy weather, which causes freight disruptions.

Comment

No one misses the Single desk. Ask any farmer the new ways are taking some time to see whats going on and how we farmers fit with the system.

But go back to 2 dollar initial and get piss all grocery checks for two years then no final or oh look we did so good final payment.

No its dead leave it their.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
              No one misses the Single desk. Ask any farmer the new ways are taking some time to see whats going on and how we farmers fit with the system.

But go back to 2 dollar initial and get piss all grocery checks for two years then no final or oh look we did so good final payment.

No its dead leave it their.
              Now wheat is the hardest crop to market on the farm which isnt bad just different. Lots of little tricks played by elevator companies. For example this year some guys locked 8 dollar wheat 13.5 pro. When they locked protein spreads were 2-3 cents per tenth when they harvested 11 percent pr wheat spreads widened to 8 cents

Comment

Agree the elevators still play games but the 6.75 i had left after the spreads was still better than the best year with the CWB.

Comment

Maybe we each need to be negotiating the terms of our sales....not just taking what is offered. My wheat should average 13.5Px but the deep discounts for below that level have me nervous to pull the trigger. If the magic number was 13Px I would feel more confident. Here's the rub....I had my samples(very representative composite samples) retested at a CGC office....pretty much the same results as in the fall after harvest. So the myth about Px dropping in the bin over winter is debunked. Now the real rub....terminal protien testers could be out a tenth or two...."only a tenth or two"....but when discounts are measured in almost 10 cents per tenth, measuring two tenths low is too expensive! So I need to sign a contract for 13Px at the same price as 13.5Px to build in some protection from the deep discounts. Guarantee a floor price based on your Px level.....don't stand on the gallows trap door and wait for it to open...nail that ****er shut! If Px is in such huge demand why is the discount and premium schedule inverted? I'm so sick of the games, scams and schemes.
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 13, 2018, 10:16.

Comment

PX machines are only accurate to with in .3 so price of grain should be based on .3 tolerance.
                    Who do we get to Lobby for these kinds of changes?

Comment

Farmaholic

What you want a reasonable contract that could specify the premiums or discounts when you sign the contracts as opposed to signing early and finding out when you deliver what the contract is?

Why not ask for a unicorn as well....lol.

It would be nice if our checkoff money went to getting a better contract written for farmers in general..

No reason protein spreads can't be determined in February for a September contract....the grain cos are signing contracts to the end users ....they have to know that schedule.....

Comment

I agree bucket.... but this is the equivalent to spot pricing..... Not months down the road. This is current shit.

Comment

The message here was "mitigate the downside"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Comment

Yes but if I know that a 13.5 px is worth 8 bucks in February for September delivery.....it's would be nice to know that 12.5px is a 35 cent discount in February not a buck in September ....

You could sign a 12.5px contract and like to know what the premium to 13.5 is as well...

Durum has no protein premiums which is stupid but the end users are good with a 3cwad....so who gives a shit. ...

I think we are on the same page.....just wish the contracts were better defined....so much for a modern grain industry. ....we haven't adapted falling numbers for grading yet....

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                              PX machines are only accurate to with in .3 so price of grain should be based on .3 tolerance.
                              Who do we get to Lobby for these kinds of changes?
                              yes that is the other problem some elevators make sure their testers are reading a bit low but i think that has been going on since the beginning of time.

Comment

My own experience marketing low pro wheat has been interesting this year. Only grew one quarter of hard red the rest was CPS. Protein on CPS ranged from 11.1 to 11.6. Protein on hard red was 11.7. Before christmas best price I could get was 6.16 for March. Didn't sell. Took samples to local ethanol plant that also mills wheat to sell gluten. Best price he could give me was $5.50 on farm, first week in Jan. At that time best price was $5.85 at Pioneer, the same place that was $6.16 before Christmas. Best price from Viterra was $5.50. Now last Monday wheat started to climb a bit and the CAD softened a bit. By Wednesday pioneer was back up to $6.16 so I sold it all. Friday USDA report comes out wheat goes back down. Now did I sell to soon, probably, but wheat has been fairly flat and elevators are full to the brim here with low pro wheat and show little interest. In this case certainly glad the CWB is gone, I set a goal of getting $6 and was lucky enough to get it. With CWB you shipped it and took what they gave you, you had no control.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...