• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the trucking industry be behind this?
    You know building highways needs a lot of gravel hauled?
    Lots of gravel trucks in Edmonton............................

Iceman Out

Comment

Hm every one of the gravel haulers is Alberta plates or just about every one

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        Just throwing it out there. I really don't know

Iceman Out

Comment

I drive lots every day and yes seeing Alberta plates on vehicles pisses you off in construction sites. Not to the NDP supporters on here because Alberta is NDP.
          If you want crews here for years doing jobs switch you vehicles to here
          Maybe AB plates are cheaper. Last I heard, if you are in another province for more than 6 months, you have to register the vehicle in the new jurisdiction but then there are complications, like residency, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Maybe AB plates are cheaper. Last I heard, if you are in another province for more than 6 months, you have to register the vehicle in the new jurisdiction but then there are complications, like residency, etc.
            Not sure how it works for commercial but for private you need plates in province you reside.
            Farm plates is dif you need plates in prov where the vehicle is going to be used. Issue comes that you can't get Sask plates inless you have Sask hospitalization number. So if you live in AB but farm in Sask you can't get Sask plates on farm truck and you can't get AB plates because vehicle main use is in Sask.

In my case SGI made me a phoney Hosp # just so I could liscence my farm trucks in Sask.

Not sure how they are going to make this work. Have to get out of province insp and plates everytime you cross border.

Comment

I drive lots every day and yes seeing Alberta plates on vehicles pisses you off in construction sites. Not to the NDP supporters on here because Alberta is NDP.
              If you want crews here for years doing jobs switch you vehicles to here
              I thought the western provinces were working towards eliminating barriers between interprovincial trade? Silly me I guess Brad could take a page out of Trump's book and build a "Wall".......😜

Not aware of any restrictions on who works here and neither should there be. Competition is good😎

Comment

Most of our feed grain leaves here with BC plates........ maybe it's a conspiracy??

Probably 25% of Edmonton's gravel comes past our house and they run Alberta plates too. They have funny names and might run you over but the cows are safe when we move them down the road.

The rumchata and eggnog is kicking in good now. Better sign off. 🍻

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Most of our feed grain leaves here with BC plates........ maybe it's a conspiracy??

Probably 25% of Edmonton's gravel comes past our house and they run Alberta plates too. They have funny names and might run you over but the cows are safe when we move them down the road.

The rumchata and eggnog is kicking in good now. Better sign off. 🍻
                  Don’t the Sihks have the Edmonton gravel haul sewed up? Old Pete dumps pulling quad wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    Don’t the Sihks have the Edmonton gravel haul sewed up? Old Pete dumps pulling quad wagons.
                    Pretty much they got the market cornered and drive like the load needed to be there yesterday. At least cows are sacred to them which is nice when we move them down the road😎

There's Border Paving on our road too and they pay their drivers by the hour which I believe is much better and safer for all.

Comment

If you have IFTA / Apportioned plates you can run through all provinces at all times.... You submit your fuel tax report and then the fuel taxes get divied up by how many km/province you run in... Same with your plates, your PST gets divided over the provinces you run in. That's an A plate.

Most of the large grain haulers run these... along with fleets like Kindersley, Bison, etc... The plate will say Apportioned on it, and the side of the truck has a 3x3" IFTA color sticker (probably many because you get a new one every year).

A "C" plate allows you to run commercially only within your province of registration, unless you have a permit... and pay PST in the new jurisdiction... this is what a lot of pebble pushers do...

The reason why alberta companies get the gravel haul comes down to $$$.

When I was hauling in Saskatoon for Allrock [ Lafarge] you were making $1300 to $1700 a day gross if you knew how to drive and worked from 5:30 AM to 6 PM, and could run a loader. That's hauling 46,500 gross on a tridem end dump.

You got these guys from Alberta coming in with there combo units (which aren't safe, and the drivers are really bad)... but they haul more tonnes, and do it for way less money... basically now it's hard to break $1,000 a day gross with the quad combos.

It ends up being just more money leaving the province because a company like Lafarge gets a contract, hires out the hauling to Albertans, charges the Sask gov / city / company rates like they did 5 years ago, and pays the truckers 35% less.

More profit for them at the cost of jobs, and infrastructure spending staying at home.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...