• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fix for pulse root rots????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix for pulse root rots????

New Discovery Lends Hope To Ending Soybean Fungal Disease
    Researchers have discovered a soybean gene that provides resistance to a devastating and costly fungal disease. Phytophthora sojae, a soil-borne pathogen that causes U.S. soybean farmers to lose approximately $250 million per year, may soon be a thing of the past as researchers have pinpointed a gene called Rps11 that confers strong resistance to multiple types of the fungal disease. As I understand it, molecular markers can now be developed to incorporate the resistance gene through traditional breeding techniques thus protecting crops from yield drags resulting from stem and root rot. It's worth noting that this discovery was made through a collaboration between Purdue University and Dow AgroSciences researchers, illustrating the power of public/private efforts to advance agriculture. I'm told the findings were to be highlighted at the World Soybean Research Conference in Savannah, Georgia, U.S., but the meeting was canceled due to Hurricane Irma. The teams working out of labs in West Lafayette, Indiana continue to work for soybean growers claiming as more Rps resistance genes are identified, they might be stacked to enhance the strength and endurance of soybean resistance. There are practices that can be done to provide a less habitable environment for the spores - improving field drainage and soil tillage are standards that can help minimize the effect, but certainly not stop it. I'm told that the spores can remain stagnant in the soil for a long time and therefore simple rotation is not effective enough. It is recommended to have proper drainage as preventing flooding will assist in inhibiting certain spore movement towards the host. I imagine the transparency brought about by public/private working relationships is welcome by all. Moving forward, I suspect we will see more joint teams come together to tackle a host of our current and future concerns. (Source: World-Grain)
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...