• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Land Ownership

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask sacrificed some of it's own resident's futures for a huge capital injection into the province, some of which will leave the borders as fast as it came in. Rules suppressing land prices are hard to swallow but now the prices have gone beyond making sense....is it still a good investment? Over the looooooong term probably. But twenty years is also a l-l-l-looooong time to wait for the price to recover if it corrects....better make sure you have the "time" to wait. Think about it---it happened before and will likely happen again.

Comment

Average age of farmers is what 57.....most are probably second generation. ....and getting sick of it....improving equipment and soil over the last 30 years only to be paid less....capturing carbon and then being told to pay for it as well.....

I'd ****ing leave to and let the foreigners farm it.....we have become pawns but it was because we worked hard and lost sight of what happened. ....better yields with better agronomy and poof we end up with 14 dollar a pound canola seed...

Same thing with wheat pretty soon and seed treatments. ...

We lost sight of the perfect pitch and struck out....

Comment

Land my favourite topic.

Yes maybe I should of bought from a neighbour the 8 quarters that would of completed my puzzle. It's now owned by a guy who has a address in Vancouver and lives in China full time. Yea he's Canadian wink wink. I like the guy we talk every couple of months about land and different things. Probably if I wanted to I could rent it. But why is the question. Lately most things I have looked into that are farming related I ask why work for someone else. Every thing from insane machinery costs, to insane seed costs to insane chemical costs freight and labour. Rent more they all say the payments are easy just rent more. Dah that's the pry that pisses me off rent more. So wtf we work as farmers for **** all. Just to keep the others in buisiness. This farming is getting more insane every year.
        Now on land yes it was a investment that paid big time if you bought in th 90s after the last **** up of 80s.

So yes the 8 would have been a very nice fit but do I regret not buying hell No.

Sooner or later this shit show game called farming is going to change. We farmers can't keep paying unbelievable high prices for everything and hope to stay profitable.

Oh then throw in idiot boy and his catch the tax dodger corporations "Farmers, Dr. And small buisiness owners" so he can hand out our hard earned cash and take selfies and travel the world.

We do run the stupidest occupation out their. Let them buy their food from Costco and Safeway and Walmart because that's where most think it comes from.

Enough rant I still believe this chineese thing isn't going to end good for Canada as a whole.

Comment

what so many people don't realize that the actual governments of India and China would gladly invest billions of dollars into Saskatchewan farmland if they could. Food security to them is paramount. Once its gone its gone.

Comment

So instead of them taking over a country by force we'll just sell them parts of ours?

I wonder what the foreign ownership rules are of other nations.

Then there's the rules that get bent or skirted around by industrious individuals.....providing investment oopportunities.

Comment

ive never heard of a non farm business complain about the valuation of their business being too high.

Yes land is expensive, $4000-5000.acre here. but it mostly local farmers buying the land, not Chinese. Land always seems too expensive. 20 years ago land was $1000 an acre and it was deemed too expensive. a smart farm is always buying some land, building an appreciating asset base in which will assist in leveraging the means to grow their business. if you are a farm that relies heavily on rented acres, I'm sorry to say, but you will have a harder time sustaining the business.

Comment

Cheaper to rent than to buy right now, but I do agree..... ownership is where it's at!

Comment

Money brings people.people bring money.Nany farmers had the oportunity to buy more land before investors and did not.Would be nice to turn back the clock but you can not.Sask needs to stay open for business.you better believe the farmers saying they are against investors wold change their tune when they are ready to sell their life's hard work.

Comment

Yup...depends what stage you're at.

Comment

Mb local maybe buying but the price is being dictated by foreigners and Chinese on the doorstep, sellers and buyers both know this. Farms are risking too much equity and security to expand with a new generation stepping up to the plate. Western Canada used to be a competive ag producer, but we are quickly losing that edge on the world stage. Our high land cost is putting us at a disadvantage, Black Sea region can put a bushel of wheat into export position for three dollars less than us. That gives them a great competive advantage. As commodity prices continue on that downward trend they will destroy us.

Comment

Black Sea land for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Black Sea land for sale?
                          The instability of the area would keep me out! Send in the Investors.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            The instability of the area would keep me out! Send in the Investors.
                            Yup, politics ruined the BEST location to grow crops, Ukraine. Climate for every crop, close to ports, 6' of level stone free black soil, close to market of millions!
                            But shit for politics, for hundreds of years, that is why most of our ancestors left for this location on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                              I agree. should be a big issue for western canada. dont hear much about it.
                              Maybe you have the wrong people representing you? One farm organisation has studied and commented on this many times - the NFU.
                              This 2015 update to their earlier 2010 paper on the same topic is well worth the read:

[URL="http://www.nfu.ca/issues/losing-our-grip-2015-update"]http://http://www.nfu.ca/issues/losing-our-grip-2015-update[/URL]

Of course it is in our best interests to have Canadian land farmed by Canadian but to do that it needs to be profitable enough to attract and retain young farmers. Which leads back to the central policy of the NFU which is always to ensure sustainable, profitable family farms. It seems like too many have been led down the path leading to the false holy grail - the "global marketplace". Some of you seem surprised when you get there to discover that there is no guarantee of sustainability or profitability merely a race to the bottom with every level beyond the farm gate extracting a good margin but not the farmer.
                              Oh well, can't say you weren't warned!

Comment

But now Trudeau wants to tax intergenerational transfers .....it's a no win situation if you saddle a young farmer that is getting some help with a tax burden on a paid for farm.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...