• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic works

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilton Ranch, you can build OM a lot quicker than realised until recently. Take a look at these results from SE Saskatchewan under intensive cattle grazing. Source website: soilcarboncoalition.org

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 12.58.35 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	765962

Interest is waning in the crop cocktail deal in the circles I move in as it becomes apparent the pushers are just another group of input pimps trying to get rich selling overpriced seed. When seed gets to be $60 it's more than seeding down a perennial legume based stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	norgold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	765963

Building organic matter on our place on a pasture that had previously been grazed like a golf course, likely for multiple decades. Sweetclover seeded for less than $10/acre.

Comment

Patures have been badly abused in these parts. Obviously rain would help immensely but even with it I still think they are poorly managed, over the long-term. Seems some people can't get their head around excess grass.

Comment

There is a drought happening. Canola will reach $14.00/bushel and wheat will reach $9.00/bu. In 100 days this thread will be long forgotten.
        Stay the course. This whole thread sounds like pre harvest jitters.
        Pay your bills, leverage another quarter so you can pre buy the best canola genetics,the proper amount of groceries ( plenty of phosphorous mines in the USA, buy direct) and herbicide family on your canola next year. At the very least, invest in a new sprayer with the strobe lights so you can see the pattern. If you do well, buy out that organic fool down the road.
        Organic is for small farmers who like to do summerfallow and just get by with their old equipment. They think somehow the are still contributing to society.

Comment

[QUOTE=Partners;353681]It gets worse the longer it goes..1st yr organic was the best this guy had.
          Cultivation only makes the thistles angry.[/QUOTE

Its just not worth the risk.
          Imagine what the neighbors will say.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            Wilton Ranch, you can build OM a lot quicker than realised until recently. Take a look at these results from SE Saskatchewan under intensive cattle grazing. Source website: soilcarboncoalition.org

[ATTACH]2049[/ATTACH]

Interest is waning in the crop cocktail deal in the circles I move in as it becomes apparent the pushers are just another group of input pimps trying to get rich selling overpriced seed. When seed gets to be $60 it's more than seeding down a perennial legume based stand.

[ATTACH]2050[/ATTACH]

Building organic matter on our place on a pasture that had previously been grazed like a golf course, likely for multiple decades. Sweetclover seeded for less than $10/acre.
            Agree. Grazing a cover works. Haying depletes.

Comment

My thoughts for an organic or a lower input system to dollar out you need livestock to cycle the covers faster and add revenue. Not practical for most but doable for some.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Patures have been badly abused in these parts. Obviously rain would help immensely but even with it I still think they are poorly managed, over the long-term. Seems some people can't get their head around excess grass.
                Don Campbell the SK HM educator and rancher says "once you've grown grass it's impossible to waste it". Once you understand that you can make all kinds of progress.

Comment

Klause nitrogen is nitrogen, there is no such thing as synthetic nitrogen. Go take a chemistry course or talk to a real unbiased soil scientist. They will tell you nh3 is as good as any other n source.

Micros are a waste of time 95 percent of the time. The universities have done trials and research it doesn't pay.

So you aren't really organic just but don't use nitrogen or sprays I really can't graso how the economics of that can work with no premium for the grain.

Comment

This thread is crazy you anti chemical and conventional fertilizer guys are like a religious cult. Totally irrational

Comment

Quite the discussion. In 1988 i direct seeded for the first time. The whole neighbourhood was in an uproar. The fool has really gone off the deep end. He will be broke in 2 years. It will never work. the fields are so rough. WEEDS will take over he is not cultivating. The land will turn to cement.It looks like shit. By the year 2000 the neighbours were all doing it and they didn't go broke either. We have now come full circle and the accepted norm is direct seeding and all that goes with it. It didn't take long. what will be the norm in another 30 years?
                      I leave you with A thought from Gandhi.
                      First they ignore you
                      Second they laugh at you
                      Third they fight you.
                      Fourth you win

Comment

Still laughing and feel sorry for the organic farmers, the WEED infested fields, with enough seeds for many years, they stay viable. There is NO solution after they fall into the soil, land is screwed. Tillage is a joke. Grass for years may work if you want that business.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                          This thread is crazy you anti chemical and conventional fertilizer guys are like a religious cult. Totally irrational
                          I just posted above that its not worth the risk.

Comment

I am going piss some people off here.

I was talking to a very senior individual with a grain co. And he commented that somethings make him uncomfortable with organic. He has an organic facility and stated that all product is delivered under affidavit. Meaning it isn't tested for pesticide residue.

There are several customers that are partially organic and part conventional. But miraculously the organic land far out yields conventional.

Sounds like a pretty big loophole to me.

Comment

There is only one reason to go organic. Only if you can make more money.

Comment

Making money is a cardinal sin, Aggie. Pray for me. Hard. Pars.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...