• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well its 90 Days till Seeding whats the crop of Choice and why?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If canola price tanks.
    There will not be many net dollars in any crop.
    Grow what you like.results will be the same in the end.
    Lots of malt bly accepted in this area last yr?

Comment

The problem I see and it was starting last year is price drop in some commodities. We discussed what would happen if the world grows another big crop?
      Our lower dollar saved us somewhat on grain prices but on some inputs and equipment wow!

Comment

If it starts to dump snow or early May rains, we will not have to worry about seeding much of anything..

Comment

HRS Wheat
          Malt Barley
          Canary seed
          Canola

Comment

SF3 you stated two wks ago your canola acres were going to be lower this yr. If my memory serves me correct the number from last yr is on par with your plans this yr.

Comment

Canola acres staying as was. Almost doubling soybean acres. Wanted to grow malt barley but Busch is sold to InBev and Trump is unpredictable so malt barley is a question mark. Our wheat is all bound south this year but again, unpredictability leaves us wondering about new crop. So, maybe no wheat. Maybe lots of beans, including dry beans, likely black, possibly navy. Working towards corn. Don't have a dryer yet so maybe a year out.

Comment

probably down a 1000 from last year but back to more normal size of our canola acreage. My pea acres are up plus adding oats that I locked in just today. Not price I wanted but works.

Comment

not sure if I missed it but why don't you guys use your farmer kept canola seed?

standard practice in oz is to buy the latest and greatest seed and bulk it up for seed for following year and do it every year.

exhaustive testing by companies agros etc has shown little if any yield penalty by doing so in non hybrid varieties.

some even do it with hybrid at about 10 to 15% yield loss.

same with cereals nobody uses fresh seed each year and some guys still growing types that were bred 20yrs ago

Comment

Well in Canada you go jail or they take the farm for farmer saved seed. Its a No No.

but they get us farmers by decommissioning a variety just as its able to be off patent. nice system all in industry win except one group the guys who do all the work.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      not sure if I missed it but why don't you guys use your farmer kept canola seed?

standard practice in oz is to buy the latest and greatest seed and bulk it up for seed for following year and do it every year.

exhaustive testing by companies agros etc has shown little if any yield penalty by doing so in non hybrid varieties.

some even do it with hybrid at about 10 to 15% yield loss.

same with cereals nobody uses fresh seed each year and some guys still growing types that were bred 20yrs ago
                      Are you growing any of the same varieties or close relatives of what we grow?

The reason I ask, is are Canadian farmers subsidizing farmers elsewhere with different laws by paying for R and D costs when we buy expensive seed?

Comment

Saved seed in western canada? Ha ha ha ha. Longer jail term than first degree murder.

Comment

Its always been a sore point with me. We created canola at the UofM or UofS and gave it to the world. Yet nothing comes back to those places. In canada you save seed you get a life sentence and they take your farm. your basically done.

Comment

Agriculture Canada is expecting domestic producers to stampede out of durum this year but plant more canola and spring wheat, says a story from Syngenta Farm.
                            In its first look at the upcoming 2017-18 marketing year, Ag Canada on Monday pegged 2017 Canadian durum planted area at 5.26 million acres, down 15% from a year earlier in response to projected heavy 2016-17 ending stocks of 2.6 million tonnes. The sour taste left by last year’s harvest and quality problems are also likely to chase some producers out of the crop.
                            With the reduction in seeded area, and a drop back to more average yields, Ag Canada forecast an even steeper 25% reduction in 2017 durum output, to 5.8 million tonnes. However, the total 2017-18 durum supply is still only expected to decrease by only 5% as higher carry-in stocks mostly offset the fall in production. New-crop durum ending stocks are estimated at 2.2 million tonnes, down 15%.
                            Nationwide soybean planted area is seen up 8%, also due to good prices. On the other hand, barley area is forecast to decline 3% and corn 2%.

Comment

this year may be the first year in over 50 years that I can remember that there will be no durum on my farm.canola majority acres.I even have some durum seed from 2015 and may still not seed it.Was #1 15 protein last March.Now they say #3.

Comment

newguy..... re old durum, makes you want to bitch-slap them back to reality!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...