• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PM Harper 'Matters to All' SARM on Grain Transportation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM Harper 'Matters to All' SARM on Grain Transportation

I see the Star Phoenix published our PM is misguided for his Farmer v grain transportation comments at SARM.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Election about Harper base/10885952/story.html

"“By now you might have gathered that SARM types are a set-in-their-ways lot, highly protective of their own self-interests. This was evident in a few of the delegates' questions to the prime minister about the need to get tougher with the railways, which some say are still not making the movement of western grain their priority, plus addressing U.S. trade barriers on beef."

"Matters to all"
    Letter submitted By Bryan Rogers from Grain Growers of Canada, TO The StarphoenixMarch 19, 2015

"Re: Election all about Harper's base (SP, March 13). We are disappointed to see Murray Mandryk characterizing Prime Minister Stephen Harper's concerns over Canada's rail freight transportation deficiencies as merely an example of the rural community's "self-interests."

Let's be clear. The agriculture and agri-food sector is a significant contributor to the Canadian economy. In 2012, it employed more than two million people and generated $103.5 billion, accounting for 6.7 per cent of Canada's GDP. Saskatchewan contributed about a quarter of that. This is remarkable, considering how quickly rural populations have shrunk in recent years. Much of our sector is export-dependent, with $56 billion in sales last year. This demand for Canadian agricultural products continues to grow across the globe, especially as new markets are opened and access to existing markets is improved through trade deals such as Canada-Korea, Canada-EU and the ongoing Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations.

The key point is that rural issues impact Canada's economy and international reputation, and thus are in the interests of all Canadians. Canada has always had a strong agriculture sector of which we can all be proud.

Bryan Rogers"
    Executive Director Grain Growers of Canada

Link to the letter, as it appeared in the paper: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/business/Matters/10901988/story.html

Hard core NDPers like Murray Mandryk ywill complain about everything Harper says.
    I'd be more surprised if he didn't.

Comment

if Harper had any real concerns, why has this mess cost me more than the entire railway?

Comment

yada yada yada to the grain growers.

Comment

Tom4cwb

Its funny how your hunger strike hasn't resulted in any action by Harper towards the RR's. All that's resulted is a lot of lip service from Harper to rally the faithful. Tom, I'm sure with all your connections with the CPC party that Harper and Ritz are aware of what your doing.

Comment

Thanks Forage,

You are very helpful... this is a interesting problem and will require innovation and careful consultations for the best solution that acheives balance of fairness.

This problem did not just appear... it has been building for decades!

Comment

Building for decades ….. and you never even thought it was a problem last winter. As usual behind the 8 ball. Next you'll be giving Danielle Smith a call as the Wildrose is sure to form the next AB government, lol.

Comment

Grasssy,

Lighten up a little!

I was hurting... and sensitive about out of hand arbitrarily badmouthing them.

The railways had just won over us in our class action...

YET I clearly commented on Hunter Harrison's lay offs and Loco move to reduce power/cars at CP.

I know how cold snowy winters can be... and am not one to easily add insult to injury... when I see someone (the RR) struggling like the RR were last winter.

Thanks for reminding me!!!

Comment

Tom4cwb

"I know how cold snowy winters can be... and am not one to easily add insult to injury... when I see someone (the RR) struggling like the RR were last winter"

In other words when it's closer to home it becomes an issue for you. As usual it's all about what's best for Tom.

Comment

Forage,

I can't see how you got that.

My ethical morals are:

1. Do unto others as you would have done unto you,
                    And the Negative Golden Rule, which states;
                    Do not do unto others as you would not have others do unto you;
                    2. The two fundamental principles of common law:
                    *Do not infringe upon the Rights, Freedoms or Property of others, and
                    *Keep all contracts willingly, knowingly and intentionally.
                    3. These maxims in common law which include:
                    a) That for every wrong there is a remedy,
                    b) The end does not justify the means,
                    c) Fundamental principals cannot be set aside to meet the demands of convenience or to prevent apparent hardship in a particular case,
                    d) Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law,
                    e) Two wrongs do not make a right, and
                    f) One can enlarge the rights of the people; however they cannot be taken away without their informed consent.

If the RR is having a hard time... I am to be compassionate and understanding to the particular plight they face. Rule 1.

How on earth is this being greedy???

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...