• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I here or read one more time "excellent growing conditions" I'm going to puke!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiwaydude, Straight cutting canola on a heavy
    stand won't be quite as much fun as you think. If
    its RR then forget it. If its invigor or clear field I
    would dessicate it with glypho so you get some
    stem dry down. Green material wrapped around
    your front feed accelerator is ZERO fun. Only
    canola I ever had heat came off straight cut fields,
    just doesn't stabilize properly.. It feeds like shit on
    a d****r when its fully ready to cut, had much
    better luck with a full finger auger head and then
    the shelling is retarded both ways. On a dry
    hotter year I would consider straight cutting again,
    this year NO WAY!!!! Knock it down. I would be
    waiting till Xmas to straight cut canola this year.
    Would really piss me off If i missed turkey dinner
    Xmas day and had to straight cut canola. I can
    hardly imagine your canola could be ready in 2
    weeks as I don't think we are too far apart. Mine
    was seeded may10-13 and still flowering
    somewhat. That means 4-5 weeks yet maybe
    longer.

Comment

Appreciate your thoughts JD. Some in this area
      have experimented with straight cutting canola in
      the past with limited success however with much
      poorer stands then what we have this year. Main
      issue was severe shelling do to wind with poorly
      knitted stands. Fellow I know of 20 minutes north
      of swift current straight cuts 3-4000 acres of
      canola each year with desiccation. Seems to
      work well for him but as you mentioned maybe not
      so much this year. I'm still ridin the fence on this
      one.
      I would estimate that there is roughly 90 miles as
      the crow flies separating our farms as we are
      south east of your location. I've driven by your
      area often this summer and your areas crop
      development does seem to be lagging behind
      ours for whatever reason never the less both
      areas have huge yield potential After extensive
      field scouting we chose not to apply fungicide to
      our canola so this may have contributed to its
      current level of maturity. We've had a wet growing
      season but precipitation was most concentrated
      late may early June. Spotty 1/2inch showers
      scattered here and there over the last month with
      few heavier events. Time will tell if we should
      have sprayed or not.
      L150 invigor canola pod set seems to be very
      good. Bottom pod seeds very firm on the verge of
      color change while top pod seed just a little soft
      yet. I may be a little agressively optimistic with my
      two week estimate but based on growing canola
      in this area since 1990, not by much.

Comment

Just had a tour to waskesue past Lake Lenore north to P.A. then had the pleasure to do extra crop touring as highway 2 north of P.A. was under water. Lots of Canolas, but was perplexed of the variety of crop quality from field to field what is up with it. One field looks 50 bushel, the next one right beside maybe 15 to 20. All in full bloom same stage. Quality all over the map. Major canola growing region. Any one know what is happing with those canola crops? Wheat was generally excellent. Barley also variable. Maybe its the continuous cropping of canola getting to those bad looking fields.

Comment

Same thing here with canola, depends on what day you seeded and how many days before the next big rain came, if your canola was up, how big it was when it rained again, etc etc. If you just seeded and it rained hard you have poor canola to start and all the way through if it kept raining, if canola managed to be up and you received the rain it is better.

Comment

That's exactly what I am saying. Canola is all over the map. If the soil was to cold its putz if it was to wet problems then problems again if rain came to soon after. Then do sweet f*CK all different and a mile away its a 50 plus. I have some new canola I call it Semi Dwarf. Podded ok but its only three feet tall. Neighbour has same variety that's almost 5ft tall but only podded the same. Seeded three days after a half inch rain in spring.
            Again the experts blow Canola up but its the Idiot sister that is all over the map. Were paying way to much for seed on this crop. We use to buy UGG seed or Pioneer before all the super varieties got nice big seed with a great seed treatment and had great yields. Now you get no fricking consistence. Three fields side by side seeded on three different days and bam, every where from shit to wow you really know what your doing.

Comment

SF3 you are so Agriville predicatable. I know what your response is before i even write a post. Your commnets on the crop are the same every year. So, my question is wether you puked or not? You said if you hear it once more then up in comes!! In all seriousness, some reds have started to be desicated in our area and we will likely start with glyphosate in next 7 days or so. We have had 8.5 inches of rain and according to Farmzone, this area has had higher growing degree days (or Heat units) then any year in the last 4 years. IN fact, each year has had more GDD then 2010 which was our last quality issue year. Warmth in June and warmer nights must have kept these numbers up. ANd crop shows it as first flower on lentils was last few days of June, first days of July. And our durum is turning fast, suspect 3 weeks or so until harvest, about mid dough stage today. What i am getting at is that the crop is variable across the prairies. IN lentils for every crop that is 1800 lbs we unforntuanatly need some to get 600 lbs to average 1200 lbs. Each area will increase or decrease from the number. And i am glad i dont have greens as i can see them being an issue with vine length. I am bullish greens bearish reds.

RE CAnaryseed our best years are always with wet cool july temps. The shallow root system cannot pump the water up quickly enough during head fill. Canary crop is also very variable from early seeding looking best, to late seeding looking shitty (for once we got canary in early and liquid N applied right away, also key factors i believe in canary production). We would like some rain on all the crops to finish them off, but i kinda suspect we dont get it in the SW. Seems to be trailing to the deep south lately. To date we have had 8.5 inches of rain from May 1 to today.

Comment

So dave, my canary looks like a barley crop at early head. I have never seen
                such massive amount of material at the early heading stage in canaryseed
                anywhere before. It is crotch high and poking heads. I fear it will get 7
                feet tall and fall over!

Will this massive growth translate into yield in your opinion? It is
                seriously hard to walk through, I can't believe it!!! The other years I grew
                canary, it headed out about 10 inches high, and still made 4 to 5 feet of
                straw. That is my concern this year, that it will be all straw. But there
                are a lot of heads this year. Is it a 40-50 bushel year, or what??? Our july
                has been very cool except the first few days, what you have seen makes
                theoretical sense at least visually...

Comment

In 1981, our canary was 51/2ft tall with long
                  heads. It lodged badly. Combining was not fun,
                  but it yielded over 50 bushels per acre.

Comment

Generally, a good looking canary crop tends to yield well. There has been a couple years, where fallow crops with lots of available N have had nothing in the head. ALl my canary is on Lentil Stubble and in the SW, and if it looks good it has been good. We had 16 inches of rain on canary one year, could hardly walk thru it and it went 33 across the farm which i am happy with. I have had one 40 bushel stubble canary crop, in 2010, which was excessively wet and cool and we hit our best yield. Hopefully it yields well for you. Have heard more success stories in your region then this region last couple years due to early terminal drought and guys have backed away from canary in general because of it. Sample your bins well as buyers need to see samples prior to delivery now due to MExican access issues!

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info, Dave! I have grown it three times now, and
                      have never seen it so vigourous and thick before. 40 would be
                      nice... lol

Put 50 lbs. of n on canola stubble. Seed placed a bit of p and k
                      for the chloride.

Thanks again for the info. Canary is one crop where guys have
                      such a variance in yield and luck and agronomic theory. Good to
                      have more ideas to stew on.

Comment

Would love to see you get a bin buster freewheat.
                        Let us know how it turns out and the great thing
                        about canary and frost is it will only drop your
                        weight. In 2004 I went to look at frozen canary
                        where it froze when grass green Aug 9th (think
                        that was the date) Yield was still there but bushel
                        weight was 35 lbs instead of 50. Still marketable
                        though. Market jumped up due to frost and then
                        fell because way more product came out of the
                        frozen area then the trade expected.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List