• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheat midge timing question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheat midge timing question

Hi Guys,
    Sounds like alot of you have sprayed the midge in the past but this is the first year for us. I have wheat in 2 stages, the first stuff we seeded is fully headed and basically done flowering as the anthers are out. I am finding about 1 midge in 100 heads and I am told that it is past the point of damage once it is 70% flowered.
    My late wheat is in early head and I only found 1 midge on my walk through the field.
    Would I be correct in not spraying the early stuff and to just keep checking the later stuff and spray only if it gets to threshold. Does it make much difference if the wheat is on wheat stubble or canola as ours is all on canola stubble. We are in Alberta, north of Drumheller, about under the red on the map.
    Any thoughts would be great.

Last year was first year we sprayed for midge ever. Walked into the field because noticed a neighbour spraying for midge. I seen approx. 4 midge per head, not sure about flowering stage but the bottom of the heads were 4 inches out of the last leaf which was according to the staging was too late and would kill more predators. So since I seen so many midge I sprayed half as I thought I was wasting my money. Ended up the unsprayed acres yielded only half the sprayed stuff. 65 down to 35 bushels per acre not counting the extra dockage plus downgrading if delivering through CWB.

Comment

If the midge were bad(which in your case doesn't sound bad) I would leave first field as it sounds you are late on it. Seconnd field monitor close, and if it reaches threshold I would spray even if you are late. It doesn't take long to get $6.00/acre back.

Will also note, last night finished our wheat at 2:00 am, and had to stop to clean the windsheid on sprayer. Was full of Midge.

Comment

Snappy,

Was out and checked tonight... 2 to 3 midge PER HEAD there are billions of them here in east central AB...

The sprayers can't keep up on the later crops of wheat....

Comment

Sprayed ours on the 16th. Evening of 15th between 7 and 8 pm also saw billions, several per head, on canola stubble. Wheat ranged from 70% anthers to 30%. Last year we lost half the yield and the midge was lower in number. I found one has to check before dark on calm evening 15 or warmer. They disappear when humidity gets too high. Our dew points have been 17. You might not see any later, but they laid eggs for two hours. NE Sask, Kelvington area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...