• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Wheat Futures Contract Obituary

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Wheat Futures Contract Obituary

The ICE Futures Canada (formerly WCE) feed wheat futures contract died a quiet death this past week as the life support system was disconnected with the closing out of the last remaining open interest. It was 33 years old, young by most commodity contract standards. Feed wheat will be missed by its last surviving family members, the canola and feed barley contracts, It is predeceased by oats, peas, flax, rye......well, you get the picture, its a sadly repetitive theme.

So what's wrong?

Granted, no one grows feed wheat on purpose. In years of frost we see better volumes, but in most years any volume of feed wheat is hedged in barley as trading volumes are larger and more liquid. The timing of this is unfortunate as ethanol demand for feed wheat could have been a life blood for the commodity exchange's contract. As it was, the basis risk in using the Winnipeg contract as a hedging mechanism carried greater risk than the flat price position. This was a warning sign of impending problems.

Recently the canola contract has been guilty of higher risk in hedging than just staying outright long or short. (Basis risk exceeds flat price risk). Much attention has been given to the influence of fund trading on commodity prices. Have the futures contracts lost touch with the real cash values? I think, without doubt, this is true.

As a young trader in the early 70's I would ask my mentor why the market was up (or down) and his answer was always the same - "More buyers than sellers". (or vice versa). At first this frustrated me but in time I 1) stopped asking the question which was his aim all along I think and 2) started to "get it". It is all about supply and demand.

Unfortunately the demand for speculative profit in the futures contracts exceeds the size and participation of the physical trade (of feed wheat, feed barley and even canola). Confidence in the futures contracts is at an all time low by buyers, sellers and hedgers and the instrument has become the property of the speculator. As traders we always like speculative liquidity but the balance of power has shifted and when the fund speculator goes on to their next favourite instrument to own - natural gas, frozen orange juice or the Euro, the grain commodity markets will revert to the grain industry again. The question is "Will there be anyone left willing to use the commodity futures markets?" "Where is the growth in this vital component of commodity trading and risk transfer?"

I've been pondering this state of the industry for some time now as I read the overly positive (yet misleading) reports of record volumes transacting over the ICE platform and watch the simultaneous struggles of the producers and consumers of these same commodities. The grain companies aren't having any fun or making obscene profits through this period either. It's a high risk/low reward scenario.

Since my early years as a trader I have been a huge fan of the futures market as a risk mitigation instrument. It saddens me to see contracts fail and this once pure and effective mechanism turned into little more than a Las Vegas portal. "Bet on the Packers!" "Buy a canola contract!" (What's a canola? - I don't know, just buy it!).

The futures market will cycle back to our industry at some point in the not too distant future. Volumes will reflect production and consumption. I hope there are still players willing to resurrect the techniques of hedging and forward contracting when that does happen. Price discovery is vital to the marketing process and good futures and cash markets are the cornerstone of the trade.

Sorry to ramble, I hope this makes people think about what they are losing and what problems could lie ahead without healthy, Canadian based futures contracts. Perhaps feed wheat won't die in vain.............

Great post!!!
    Much like the Len Webber article in the producer a week or so ago. I've had two or three discussions with local grain merchants as of late over the disfunction of the futures markets and it's implications to us. Its something we as producers need to be both very aware of and concerned about.
    One of the discussions I had centered around the funds themselves as a fundamental just like weather and seeded acres etc. Farmers now need a degree in mob psychology to go along with the other 7 or 8 we already require. Has led to futures basis being hugely important in locking in strong returns during these times for a producers physicals.
    This influence of the speculator has always been a needed component of the futures markets but the influence has been vastly mutiplied over the last while. A producer can use this if they get in front of the wave and sit and wait patiently but they have to know when to bail and thats the tough part because it's more mob mentality that exagerates the swings than before when it was more S/D driven.
    Enjoy the ride just hope you get off at the right place.

Comment

I guess I also so have added that many of the majors are not using the futures market to trade and what implications this has for US as producers in price discovery in forward months.

Comment

The solution is in delivery and expiry design of the contracts. Using a cash settled index where there is no physical delivery and the final futures prices (at expiry) are based on a basket of actual transacted cash prices (not just bids) would solidify the cash-futures relationship.

Cash price = $400 at expiry, futures =$400 at expiry.

Now where do we get the cash transaction prices..................

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...