• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New DPC - Thoughts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New DPC - Thoughts

Was going to put this in the area on the buy but not 100 % related so will start another. Interesting the CWB wants to monkey with the current - under the current constraints/mandate, the CWB has not be able to manage the price risk around this program relative to the pricing pools (big losses). Rather than reviewing the way they handle risk, they have gone back to the drawing board on the program. Good bad or indifferent will have to be demonstrated. The trade off is no cap on volume for an unknown price calculation.

The reason I was going to put into the buy back discussion is the CWB committed to keeping a tight relationship between the PDS and the DPC to deal with cash flow issues for farmers who use the programs and maintain a fairly tight relationship between the two values.

To answer some of the questions around the old, you have to go to the guidelines/objectives of the current one.

You can find this information at:

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/farmers/producer/daily/

Like a good sermon, I have to look at specific verses - oops - I mean paragraphs from the CWB information.

Verse - Why the DPC?

"The DPC is designed to provide farmers with additional price flexibility and to increase their ability to manage cash flow. U.S. elevator bids and market price relationships are used to establish daily cash prices for each class, grade and protein level of wheat. The program is one of the range of Producer Payment Options (PPOs) the CWB now offers producers, and like all other PPOs, the DPC is guided by the principle that it must be consistent with the maintenance of a competitive and viable pooling option."

Verse 6: Basis risk associated with the program.

"The price risk associated with higher futures movement on any given day can be offset by the CWB hedging program. The CWB sells futures when the farmer locks in the DPC reference grade value and buys futures against the tonnage in the program according to the CWB sales pace. Compared to other PPOs the CWB offers, there is considerably more unhedgeable basis risk for the DPC. One source of this additional risk is the use of a single market – the northern tier of country elevators in the United States – to determine DPC pricing, when sales are made against a number of other market price structures with varying basis levels."

Verse 9: CWB commitment to keep spread between the PDS and DPC narrow.

"As part of the DPC operating guidelines, the CWB is also committed to keeping the spread between the DPC and the Producer Direct Sale (PDS) relatively narrow and stable with the proviso that under exceptional circumstances, the spread could be widened to protect grain that was required for the CWB marketing. This provision has never been exercised. The linkage between the PDS and the DPC provides farmers with the assurance that both the DPC and PDS will track the average price to cross border elevator prices for grain of similar quality. If the DPC price is low relative to an elevator across the border, then selling to the U.S. using the PDS should be attractive. Conversely, if the PDS is high relative to the cross border prices, then the DPC is also likely to be high."

From the questions and answers on the DPC:

"Why is the PDS value higher than the DPC ? I thought they were both priced off the U.S. market?
    The DPC is a U.S. elevator equivalent 'buying price'. The PDS is the CWB asking or 'selling price'.

The PDS reflects the CWB's asking price for sales into the U.S. market to end use customers. The PDS is based off daily U.S. market prices and is comprised of the daily relevant U.S. wheat futures price plus the CWB sales basis.

The DPC is also based off the same daily U.S. wheat futures and a basis prices. The basis offered to producers will be similar to the basis levels available to U.S. producers delivered into local elevator locations.

Since the PDS and DPC are both determined using the same daily futures values, if there is a difference in price, it will be a result of differing basis levels between the PDS and DPC. The spread between these basis levels will be the producer's cost to access the U.S. market."

I note the CWB has indicated they are consulting on the DPC program so I thought I would post this to generate some discussion.

What are you looking for in the new program? How much risk is there that CWB will water down the program (which to me will be a wider spread between the PDS/DPC) that will not be usefull anymore? What are the true costs of CWB producer pricing options and who pays them.

Quotes from the press release are not specific on the proposed changes (other than no limit on volumes).

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/newsroom/releases/2008/040908.jsp

Verse 4: "The two principles guiding all the PPOs offered by the CWB are sustainability over the long term and accessibility to all farmers who want to participate. The CWB’s farmer-controlled board of directors reviews all PPOs to ensure they meet these two fundamental criteria, and decided at their March board meeting to end the DPC. "

Verse 6: "Unlike the DPC, the new program will have no tonnage limit. It will provide market-pricing opportunities for all farmers, and should be sustainable from a risk-management perspective. Full details will be announced prior to the start of the 2008-09 crop year. The new option will join a series of popular PPO options for farmers that include the Basis Price Contract, the Fixed Price Contract and the Early Payment Option."

Realize there have been other threads but will try to generate more discussion.

Comment

Dear Charlie,

To be competitive with pricing outside Canada... the CWB needs to offer a daily price in the same way the open market does.

But then... there would no longer be a monopoly the way the CWB is set up. Which is exactly the point. Other than some crafty shape shifting pricing contortions... the CWB DOES NOT EVER OFFER PREMIUM PRICES. IT CAN'T.

IF THEY DID... puff... like the bead breaking on that front tire of my little tractor that was carrying that 1600 lb big round bale... no more air in the tire... or CWB 'monopoly'

Ever tried to get a tire bead resealed and mounted at minus 10 or colder? That little tractor was not designed to handle 1600lb bales... nor was the CWB ever designed to deliver premium prices.

So we are he only way to get a decent basis... if there was such a thing at the CWB... will be through the pool account.

1. We will never... as things are run now... get transparent pricing signals at premium prices.

2. We will not innovate and reduce costs to get our produce to the end user at a better logistics cost... more effectively... because the CWB claims that 'bonus' for the pool. No incentive to do so exists from the grainco's... doing the same thing at close the same price... is the name of the game on board grains.

3. So we are stuck with the CWB 'trust me' with no proof that the pool ever extracts a premium.

That the CWB is so insecure... that they choose to use a sledgehammer to pound down any innovators who want to risk much... to gain a little...

Proves but one thing for certain... THERE IS NO MEASURABLE PREMIUM.

STUCK... BLOWING AND SUCKING at the same time. That is the new DPC.

Back to the Sermon Charlie... a great one we had this morning... 5 points why the CWB will not change:

1. The CWB "don't need to change;" (PRIDE)

2. The CWB are "afraid to change;" (FEAR)

3. The CWB "don't want to change;" (REBELION)

4. The CWB "don't feel like changing;" (BEING LAZY)

5. The CWB "didn't know they needed to change." (A COMBONATION OF THE ABOVE 4 POINTS and added IGNORANCE)

But guess what... the most human thing about the 'human experience' is that... "THINGS DO CHANGE"!

SO unless the CWB is willing to be pliable... like Plasticine or silly putty... willing to be molded into fulfilling the functional needs and aspirations of the commercial growers who are stuck with this creation of nearly a century ago;

THe "I won't change... you'll kill me if you change me" attitude... ONE likely result is the outcome...

The CWB must be Forced to change... or it will die.

SO... who will transform the CWB... to meet the needs of the average commercial wheat and barley grower... who must use the CWB?

That should be the question!

Comment

Sorry about that thin air on:

"So we are he only way to get a decent basis... if there was such a thing at the CWB... will be through the pool account."

Should be:
        So we are stuck... the only way to get a decent basis... if there was such a thing at the CWB... will be through the pool account.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...