• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's News

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's News

Old market adage is "pigs get slaughtered,hogs go to market" The pigs that applaud Measner's firing will discover themselves slaughtered at the hands of multinationals. You can't turn back the clock!

define slaughtered for me burma!

Comment

Grow up and get real.

Did the "pigs" in Ontario get slaughtered when they got the freedom to market their grain to who they wanted???

Where did the processing sector set up shop?? Why?

In what way would the "multinationals" benefit by driving the western grain farmers into the ground? If we all will go broke and seed it back to grass to grow calves on, who will they sell their products to or steal their grain from?

Comment

again, define slaughtered for me burma!

Comment

So how is it then that farmers in the USA who are at the hands of the multinationals are cosistantly getting more money for their grain than we who have the CWB to protect us?

Comment

Ok, since the leftie boardniks that post on Agriville can’t seem to defend their enraged statements of falsehoods and fear. I feel compelled to suggest to all those would be spewers of rage, that the words chosen and written must fit the circumstance in order to compel anyone reading to consider those words seriously.

Using the words “slaughtered” to describe the true circumstances of a free market sale of wheat by a farmer can be only viewed as being written by a raving lunatic.

The free market price of wheat is over $5.00 per bushel delivered into a ND elevator. These prices are stronger than anything seen in many years. Using the word “slaughtered” is totally unrealistic to the circumstance.

Also considering that many farmers grow canola, flax, oats, peas etc. all of which are marketed into an open market system, even when prices were lower, “slaughtered” was hardly an appropriate word to describe those circumstances. And when prices are high, word like “good returns” or “profitable values” are used. These will be used as well with wheat.

Comment

Was the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance crew there today Adam?

Or were they hanging Lowe?

Comment

Butch Jr. was there.

I didn't see any tears though!

Comment

wow..better order a dna check.

Comment

Sounds like a posting from a country where they have chased out the big bad multinationals.

Cuba hates Multis. Can you imagine if we chased out every multinational in Canada?
                    Cubans came to Canada (at our farm, too) looking for beans because their people did not have enough protein. They need to fire their Measners. But can't.

Burmabomber? I think I get the image.

Parsley

Comment

Adam Smith. How many Bushels have you sold in ND at $5.00? How many tonnes did you lock in using the fixed price contract? Have you checked the cost of production and prices lately on feed peas, lentils? Making lots of money are you?

Comment

It's asinine to state that the CWB has any influence over wheat prices. They can't take credit when prices are high (but they try anyway with their price-setter argument), nor can they be blamed when the are low (and they use the price-taker argument). Every crop goes through a price cycle. Right now, it's wheat's turn to be at the top while peas are suffering. That's why we diversify into multiple crops. What about when peas were $6.50 a bushel. Flax is sucking the hind one right now, but what about when it was $15 a bushel? Stop trying to pick individual time periods in the market cycle to try to prove your point. From a long-term perspective though, wheat profitability is lower compared to non-board crops. Look at long-term acreage trends. Farmers have voted with their acres.

Comment

CHuckchuck,

The N.D. Price is arbitaged internationally.

In Montana 1DNS13.5 is worth $5.60/bu. THis is a good $.50/bu above CWB prices...

And the CWB buyback and cost to pay agents of the CWB to get to the international market all add up.

Except that we have a lower cost to get to that international market than Montana has... which should be the CWB's ace in the hole. There is no economic reason to stop exports into the US. I see the US A-Trains daily heading up HWY 36... then going back loaded to the US. What do you think is going on...

The "multinationals" and agents of the CWB like what is going on... and will gladly take "profits" anyway. ... The monopoly helps them today hence they don't complain about the CWB.

I simply don't get it.

THis "monopoly" scam is like the Montreal telemarketing scams.

We are told this about the scams...

If it is too good to be true... then it is.

We Don't get something for nothing.

Am I the only one who gets it?

What don't you "single deskers" get... what is driving your mind sets?

Power is derived from somewhere... AND ALWAYS AT A COST! CWB power is no different!

WHen Montana Human consumption barley is worth $4.30/bu just across the border in Montana... shouldn't this tell us a story?

When the feed market interior in western Canada sets the CWB base prices for human consumption grains destined to international markets... how exactly is the CWB "extracting" any value for anyone but the livestock industry?

Year after year... time after time!

Fill me in... it make no logical sense.

Comment

Chuckchuck, I haven't sold any wheat in ND lately, I don't want to be led off to jail in handcuffs!

But I have sold plenty of domestic off board wheat and barley, and have never once felt that the multinationals were slaughtering me.

I don't take offence at the opinion that a farmer may feel he will not do as well under an open market or that the CWBII won't be able to offer him the same service and the same price protection when it is functioning in the open market competing for farmers business.

I just disagree, that that will be the case, in fact under almost any market condition I believe all farmers will do better once the single desk is toast.

What I take offence too, is the outrageous comments and the fear mongering that seem so detatched to reality. The words chosen and the arguments made in defence of the current structure are nothing more than over-heated rhetoric that is not conducive to debate. In fact 90% of what is being said by the anti-choice crowd amounts to nothing more than drive-by slurs of derision.

Comment

Depending upon the year 4o to 80% of the CWB monopoly grain is sold by accredited exporters. If you go to the CWB website you can see that the accredited exporters are all large major grain companies and multinationals. To be an accredited exporter you must be a large grain company as you need a seat on the Winnipeg Grain exchange so small companies need not apply. Reality is that the CWB actually enforces the "Big Companies Only" marketing strategy for export grain.

I believe the process is that the accredited exporters call the CWB for the price that they may sell grain from Canada at.

The CWB in their infinite market capacity set the price.

I would suggest that if most farmers had been asked if they wished to sell $4.65 cent wheat this year (which is what we expect to get at years end) most farmers would have used some
                              appropriate phase akin to take a walk in the park.

So as we are slaughtered we need to ask: Is the sheep in wolves clothing or the Wolf in sheeps clothing?

Perhaps we now understand why international buyers and elevator companies like the CWB central supply collection agency. After all, in short markets competition can be nasty.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...