• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a way to run a railroad. Agriweek Mar 2

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because farmers like having bins. It's like a gold star in elementary school.

Most were conditioned way back when and haven't shed that mindset yet.

4 farmers put up bins equalling the equivalent of a 10000 tonne elevator.

Beautiful but no closer to a transportation system. And they bought semis to compare as well.

I am not jealous, but I can't believe guys this smart wouldn't invest collectively to avoid the current system. They would be wealthier in the long run.

Comment

The only time prices have arbitraged since the loss of the CWB monopoly was when the severe drought in the US shorted supply there. We had excessive rail capacity for movement of the 2012 crop in both US and Canada. The return of normal crops in 2013 and 14 resulted in a exactly the same lack of arbitrage that existed under the CWB. So was the CWB actually the reason for the lack of arbitrage as Tom continues to claim or simply a symptom of a long known problem - transportation?

Without a doubt the loss of the monopoly was a boom to farmers living close to the border. But if you live more than a few hours away, without arbitrage it has not helped. Furthermore, what are the externalized costs of increased traffic and road repair as we try to truck grain much greater distances now to get higher prices?
      WE are also facing buyer resistance for the loss of coordination of shipping, loss of Canadian branding, and even a loss of markets since the end of the CWB because multinational companies could care less if they sell Canadian wheat or wheat from another country as long as they sell. And don't forget we know enjoy a wider basis than we ever had under the CWB because of a lack of competition and price discovery. All these were unintended costs of the end of the CWB.
      The biggest joke of all is as farmers we are continually being asked to take action which will no doubt benefit a few but when you take the time to actually learn about the problem and proposed solution you find most will be left worse off. No longer are farmers, farm groups, or government looking out for what is good for Canadian agricultural as a whole, they are only interested in what is in it for me.

Comment

Dmlfarmer

Well said. Do you think you could get your MP to understand what you just wrote. ?

I highly doubt it or they would be looking for a solution.

The exact same thing happened under the cwb and the conservatives said it was wrong? Their silence today speaks volumes on their misunderstanding and incompetence.

Our transportation system should be ready for the crops we grow now and into the future. It's not.

There is no vision.

And soon it won't matter how big a farmer you are this mess will hamstring your operation.

Comment

Please cc your MP.

Please cc your MLA and Write them a letter. Agriculture is shared jurisdiction (Fed/Prov) under the Canadian Constitution.

Cc and write your Provincial Minister responsible for Agriculture.

I am in the process of doing all these things... and very likely would not have... if a 'Writ of Execution' had not been issued against me... in January of 2015 by the CN and CP railways.

Yet... a 'Writ of Execution' with a close to comparative damages charge against our farm's grain... has been issued against each one here on Agriville. Every grain farmer in western Canada. Studies are being done by the SK commissions with experts saying grain transport is costing billions extra... in lost value.

Obviously these very threads... run on this very message board... not very far down the list below.

This is NOT easy writing. This is not fun. Obviously this is NOT about me... as I said this is about US working together to counterbalance and overtake the myriad of railway lobbyists who daily walk the isles of power... in the Capitals of our Country.

The power of the great hunter... with his coordination and knowledge of both CN and CP is overwhelming.

What do we do? If we offend the great Hunter... with way over a hundred lobbyists hired to do his bidding now he has a voluntary imformal joint venture between the railways;

the Hunted... who offend the railing executives... of the great RR JV... can easily cut off cars to your delivery point. 'Writs of Execution' written and delivered against your farm... every time the your cars are late or not delivered at all.

The CWB used to do this... now the RR can with impunity... and we can't prove it... other than to judge the result by a wide basis... and short bank accounts for our farms.

I am an environmentalist. We should absolutely be using rail cars... loaded locally... to haul our grains to export position.

We/our farm spent days... before Christmas... hauling flax with superbees... hundreds of miles... with tank after tank of fuel burnt.. to fill containers... hauled to Calgary... back and forth by trucks... because dependable rail service cannot be found a few miles just over the hills... on Battle River Rail. But the oil cars sure were spotted and picked up!

Now the Hunted are running out of time and money... as spring breakup is upon us... and our bank accounts run into lines of credit... instead of planned cash flow that was tendered months ago...

A 'Writ of Execution' has been issued against every grain farm in western Canada!!!

You might need a catchy line like this... and write the great Hunter... ask him to release your farm... and get some power working and haul your hopper cars to the US and our ports!!!

Comment

That was the idea behind your local co-op outlet, but then Federated took over, with highly paid executives, and it all trickled down to highly paid managers.

Comment

Thanks Bucket
              To answer your question, No they would not understand what I wrote because IMHO because they are too busy speaking to take time to listen. They are so stuck in their ideological viewpoint they simply refuse to even consider any other view. They feel so superior, and like the sound of their own voice so much, they simply ignore anyone that disagrees with or questions them. Unfortunately, as the song says: "There are none so blind as those who will not see."
              I have written numerous letters. I even have had 5 meetings requested by and scheduled by the provincial minister of ag to discuss my views over the past 2 years yet meeting was cancelled by the minister just days before they were to take place. Oh such actions make it appear there is concern but as it turned out was simply a PR exercise.
              And Bucket, you are absolutely correct; this government has absolutely no future vision for agriculture!

Comment

Been noticing the co-ops getting away from their original roots.

Local input is slowly disappearing and local director guys buy into the suits from regina ideas.

Ours has expanded and is getting rid of the local tank farm for tridems and the corporate new tank location .

They traded assets for depreciating trucks and tire expenses.

Comment

well bucket what happens with co-ops is that federated lends enough money to get control of local co-op , then supplies manager to same . directors then have no control , and if they don't comply , no federated dividend . all the local co-ops created this monster and now they are leading the way with fuel price increases in sask .they are doing the exact same thing to co-ops that grain and seed co's are doing to farmers

Comment

dml,

Is this the Manitoba Minister of Agriculture?

We obviously do need to work together... as a clear signal is being given... individually we cannot stand against the massive railway lobby railing against our farms. The point of this whole exercise!!!

Can we learn to set aside our political brownie point getting exercises...?

How far have these partisan feelings got our problem exposed and resolved???

We need to set aside our dividing hobby horses... assign forgiveness...and work together like CN and CP do in our own alliance and informal Joint Venture!!!

We won huge... with our Farmer Railcar Alliance... and got much more than I ever dreamed of... embedded cheaper freight rates and upgraded railcars with a life of 2030 and well beyond... with a little good maintained planning!!!

Comment

MBgrower,

I AM already a railroad owner... own a percent share in some 12,000 hoppercars that have been all upgraded to the 2014 north American RR standards... having a good and contracted life till 2030.

I do not need to own the power... and am not interest in running that power... as I have plenty to do on our family farm.

I in no way can ever own enough shares to have an effect on the CP/CN joint venture... so have no desire to sink my capital into this abusive (bully) just my personal experience and mental wounding levied against my being.

Comment

Tom, what does it matter which minister of ag it was. I will say this, I have never once got a reply - even a letter- from Ritz.

You also talk about standing together against the railways. May I point out that the only organization which ever successfully sued the railways for poor service was the CWB over their poor service in 96-97. Today's Cons do not even have the fortitude to collect the penalties they legislated against the railroads for last year for not meeting service.

Yet you defend the Cons and still rail against the CWB even though it is now history. You call on all of us to support you now that you are the target of the rail roads even though you were a lead figure to get rid of the CWB, the only organization with enough power to take on the railways. You wanted the free market and the right to stand alone when you thought it would benefit you. When you choose to stand alone in the good times results in you standing alone in the bad.

Comment

We have set up our own fert storage as like many others . My question is , why do we need any fert dealers at all for the basic N P K S ? Once set up on farm fert blending is easy espeacialy with liquid, so why the need for a middle man ? All our fert is direct load from suppliers anyway - the locals just get the check and zero agronomy is actually needed .

Comment

There is no doubt railways are hard to stand against. Jesse James did ok though.

But a different approach, buy them. Start buying CP or CN shares in your TFSA. Might take awhile, but we could own them eventually.

Comment

dmlfarmer,

I was... and still am... 4 the CWB as an alternative that provides a market arbitrage marketing system... that returns the added value to the growers at the farm gate in western Canada.

This is... has been... and always will be... my objective in CWB reform.

I have no idea... why these objectives were or could be... responsible for the distruction, disruption, or overall be a problem to an organization who was supposed to maximize the returns to grain growers it was supposed to serve.

Instead... the CWB... worked with the railways... against me... to enhance railway profit... and lower our farm gate prices.

The CWB and Railway monopolies were a scheme... woven together... which the railroads exploited to their own benefit. 96-97 is an interesting settlement... which strengthen my position as stated here... for CN had much to gain in winter transport programs, Prince Rupert programs... all of which were very profitable to their bottom line. Backed by and added to by the CWB monopoly that prevented efficient arbitrage... just south of the US Border.

Check the facts. The CWB single desk did NOT hold up US or international wheat or Durum prices. Durum being the best example of arbitrage in 2014-15 that has well proved the fact... that your allegations are not based in any way in fact.

Comment

Your right, who needs blending? Airseeder tanks getting up to 700-900 bu, pretty easy to blend as you seed. And with the N stabilizers such as esn or agrotain, you can apply , broadcast N under a wide window now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...