• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wcwga - need some info

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You see how bureaucrats keep their jobs with an exercise like this.

Very concerning.

Plus the fact gust is mixed up.

Comment

foragefarmer

I would encourage you to read my posts and take me on when you think I am factually wrong. When you don't comment, I assume you have agreed with me.

I guess there is truth to the fact marketing is 87 % politics and 13 protein.

Comment

Just the number. Still waiting.

All I can say is holy ****.

Comment

This time, to a point, I agree with bucket.
          I don't know who he is, don't care. I suspect he's the relative you don't want at the table when you want something from a dignitary. I'll say it again, getting things done at that level is a long term art form. Not to be done bluntly. Whatever.
          I myself am now mildly curious about membership. I suspect low, because it is simply a lobby group. Low communication to members. And yes, I've been to the last 3 AGMs. So what.
          It's not a feel good, pep rally, storefront org. It's a lobby group. And we desperately need those too.
          Maybe I'll call their office and get back to you.

Comment

If it is just a lobby group, who does it lobby for and who sets its agenda? Corporate Canada may play a major role in setting its direction under the guise of it representing actual farmers.I think it plays into Ag Minister Ritz's ability to say, "See, I have consulted with the primary producers and they agree with my convictions". I agree; a look at its membership and numbers would be very enlightening.

Comment

Apparently its embarrassingly low.

Comment

Charlie
                Just calling it like I read from your posts.

Here's a chance for you to provide some facts. Call up Blair Rutter and get the number of members in the WCWGA and then post them here on Agriville. I'm sure you guys are on a first name bases.

Comment

Actually know Blair from my UGG days. WCWGA information - their choice.

I think you were the one who suggested leaving the past alone. I will try to follow your advice. I invite you to contribute the market outlook and strategy threads. They die fast. Some time you will have to buy me a beer and explain why a political thread is over 50 posts and marketing one usually dies early if it gets one post.

Comment

blackpowder

Thank you for the kind words, you couldn't be more right.

I take no offense.

I find it offensive that an organization that says it lobbies on farmers behalf can't answer the simplest question.

And even with some prompting the top dogs won't come out and play.

Usually by now they would be all over me with insults that I can gladly appreciate and throw back.

No sparring equals no fun and its christmas time.

What the ****?????

Comment

Well Bucket, maybe it's like this: if that's all or mainly what matters to you, then you don't matter to them.

They work for members. Their members voluntarily belong and expect and get the executive working towards the goals they've adopted. If I was a member frankly, I'd hope they'd ignore this whining about how many members the WG'ers have. It's just jealous bullshit.

In fact, membership numbers should be proprietary information, not be shared outside the organization. Membership lists also should be confidential. Names and addresses are worth money these days.

As far as sparring, this is like George St. Pierre taking on some local Karate green belt. There's no money in it. Move on.

You keep ending with wtf? Well that's wtf.

Comment

Here is the thing. I have presented many ideas and questions to the government over the years to different parties.

I have found it to be a useless and time wasting effort. Even went so far as to send them my APAS rep which goes back close to a decade.

I was seriously thinking of getting involved and making these ideas come to some sort of fruitition so to speak.

Maybe get them further for the benefit of all.

But if this is a non starter about just some due diligence. I see it might be difficult to get answers if I pursue it.

The road blocks seem to be very similar and the answers generic. In other words no helpful to a good discussion.

It got me thinking when there was mention of using RRSPs to buy farmland. I sent an idea similar when goodale was in the governing party. Went no where. .

Comment

If you have 100 farmer members, which I doubt there are, at $300 per year that is $30,000. Not much to run an organization much less put on a convention and do any effective lobbying unless you are financed by major players that have their own agenda. I believe that agenda is in many cases not supported by a majority of farmers.Is it a lobby group that would have wide based support if its agenda and membership were transparent?

Comment

More Agri Left bullshit.

Comment

Must be a tactic from the "NFU Manual For Farm
                              Organization Sabotage".

Comment

I'm not going to respond directly to the membership number. If members wanted it they can ask and I encourage them to do so.
                                black powder please email me ggust@wheatgrowers.ca

I'm not embarrassed about number it's just that it's not for me to release. Our member quality is high our output is getting better.its just that it's a mugs game. What number would be acceptable? We've many more members that their are Members of Parliament and they run this country.

I'd love to hear from a member who has ideas on how to make a better association. Your right about the communications part. It's a tough job to do well. We need member input on how to improve.

I know in this area there are more WheatGrowers than farmers who voted NDP in the last Federal election.

We count memberships sold. Our farm has one. I farm with my wife, father, mother, brother, and sister in law.

Depending if the COOP fuel driver is in the yard and how old the kids are the NFU might count that as 10
                                APAS Would count our RM if a member and charge (what is it .10c/acre)
                                Keystone has a provincial levy in which every farm pays something like $250
                                AFA the old Wild Rose is membership based like we the WCWGA are. Doesn't matter what number is, how are their ideas? Who can they influence?

The real worry is the commodity commissions. I suspect out of the 25000 levy paying farmers the voter turnout was less than 1000.
                                If you want numbers and influence take over one of them.
                                Sask Wheat has the NFU at the helm. Watch for Sask Flax.

Bucket if it's numbers your after look elsewhere. The WheatGrowers are not the association for you. Keep pushing though, you've got Blair fired up to get the new Website online. Look for new and improved version tomorrow night.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...