• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB result delayed till Monday 12th Sept by MNP...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck:
    I don't disagree that the CWB has countervailing power over the industry. Problem is that in practice it has never been effective and comes at a huge expense. And I don't mean just the CWB's overhead. The CWB has cost the industry millions over the years in bad decisions and lost opportunities.

I think everyone involved recognizes the potential for this process to be a "king-maker". But most also recognize that we will almost undoubtedly see new entrants into the business. There has been a steady stream of inquiries from new companies looking at entering this market. Rather than seeing these companies as vultures that will swoop in and take advantage of farmers, many see this as a huge opportunity to increase competition which we all agree drives costs out of the system and improves service.

Chuck I know this counter intuitive for you but the grain companies you deal with are not the same as the ones your father dealt with. These companies recognize that their success is a function of farmers success. It's a cut-throat business based on volume. If I can gain volumes by making you more successful, I'll do it.

Oberg said at the recent meetings that the only way a grain company can make more money is if farmers make less. It's comments like this that convince me he doesn't understand this business - or he's hoping you don't.

Comment

Of course I'm concerned about the concentration of power. Duh! That's why I'm opposed to a single monopoly buyer of my wheat and barley like the current wheat board.

Comment

Being from
        Ontario, I don't have a dog in this fight.
        We had our shackles removed years ago.
        Hopefully you guys will also be free soon. Our system now is such an improvement.
        We get paid full price for all our grain sold, in a few days. No waiting 12 months.
        Regardless of the sham vote, Ritz will emancipate the farmers of Western Canada, as promised.
        BTW, I know a guy that is interested in buying those boats the CWB just bought.
        good luck
        slick

Comment

Is his name Paul Martin?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...