• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Basis Contracts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thalpenny,

On the feed wheat and the CWB, I thought the CWB has said that they are here to maximise my returns, isn't that right?????

Now if you are there to make me money, then why wouldn't you sell my feed wheat interprovincially to a Canadian feed user, and get that higher return an include it in the contract you offer me?

Wouldn't it be great if the CWB competed against the WCE futures and drove them up by doing so??

If we all sold our domestic feed wheat and barley to the CWB, you could extract a real premium price, couldn't you???

Why do you instead include a discount option for yourselves that allows you to extract even more money from the $30-$40/t discounts you already offer on feed wheat?

What in the CWB Act and Regs prevents you from instead maximising our returns by handling a sustantial portion of the feed wheat grown in western Canada, and extracting a premium for it rather than discount pricing it severely?

Just what is the CWB's mandate, and how do I reconcile what you say to what you actually do in reality????

Now when I could take my "lower" grades of Canadian wheat, and get top grade in the US, plus a premium price,

but,

you force me to give back the higher price to the pooling system through the buy-back.

Why when the CWB could create competition, like on feed wheat and barley, you refuse???!!!

Why would you if your sole purpose is to maximise my returns???

Comment

thalpenny,

I hope you are not just ignoring us, please, are you working on these issues?

Just what is CWB policy on basis "Act of God" clauses?

Why couldn't the CWB incorporate this into a production contract like my other oilseed contracts have:

1. an assured price;

2. a delivery schedule that assures cash flow;

3. a competitive price if lower grades are produced, or an option to terminate the basis contract if the CWB cannot be commpetitive.(first right of refusal for the CWB)

These are the expected norm in the year 2001 for the rest of the Canadian economy, and my question is why the CWB cannot be flexible enough to offer what has been normal business practice in much of the business world for decades?

This is one reason why the CWB Monopoly is costing wheat and barley producers.
      If the CWB took these issues to there buyers, we should without a doubt be in a very strong position to extract concessions from them.

Why does the CWB refuse to work for our benefit, causing production to decrease anf farm risk to increase?

Sooner or latter, thalpenny farmers will figure out that the CWB Monopoly is being used against them, and what will that mean for the CWB????

Will spending money on expesive media advertising saying the CWB is soo gooood.... fix any of the problems stated above????

Comment

Tom4CWB,

As usual, I've provided a really long answer to your questions. I don't ignore the forums, but have to priorize the time when I can respond ...

Remember, the CWB is using the milling wheat futures contracts to manage the hedge position for these programs. At the time these basis contracts are entered into, there is no way of knowing what grade will be produced. There is a relationship between milling grades (usually follow same trendline), but feed grades can be impacted by other variables (ie low coarse grain production like corn or barley). So an extra discount for this extra risk may taken if feed quality wheat is delivered against the contract.

The basis contract is not intended to be a pure speculative tool. Farmers have the flexibility to apply any grade or class of wheat (except durum and mixed grain) to the contract, and they can transfer it to another party or buy it out. I think an Act of God/lack of production clause would cause an increase in the risk premium. Rather, as you recommend in the thread on 'Revised marketing system', farmers should weigh the production risk carefully and perhaps not attempt to hedge or price more than 30%. If the Act of God clause you mention with other companies is foolproof, I'm not sure why you wouldn't try to lock in 125% of production? Because I doubt you are confident that you wouldn't be held to your commitments.

Regarding marketing feed wheat domestically - the CWB does have the ability to sell to the domestic market. However, the Board doesn't actively pursue a strong sales program in the domestic market as farmers generally service that market. There are tradeoffs between having an open domestic market and using the monopoly to supply it. Given the nature of local trading, a multitide of local buyers and local consumption, it may introduce a step in the sales process that some would resent.

It likely would have a positive impact on feed grain prices most years if the CWB had the opportunity to use disciplined selling to maximize sales of all feed grains grown in W. Canada to the highest return to pool buyers. I expect most years we would attempt to sell Japan to the max before turning to the domestic market. However, this would only be the case to the point where competitive US feed grains could be economically imported and substitued for Canadain feed grains. There are no import restrictions regarding US grain.

As it stands, the prices reflected by the CWB are essentially export prices. Farmers have a feed wheat futures contract (moderately traded), and the mechanisms have developed such that the market gets serviced by the local production. With the import of some US corn and other grains this year, I would argue that the domestic feed market is close to optimizing the price for this year.

Tom

Comment

Are you sure you people want the CWB selling into the domestic feed market in Western Canada.
          We do not have the capacity to use the CPS and #3 HRSW we grow in a normal year. Would it not be nice if the CWB could only sell export grains and we producers could make our own deals with the malster and the flower mills. I am not sure our exported grains are sold at a premium. Being some what cynical I would expect that the bulk of our premium price sales are made to Canadian value added users. Not importers that can go anywhere they want in the world to find the products they are looking for.

Comment

Rain,

I think you would be surprised at how much wheat the CWB sold to the "domestic wheat" users in 2001, and at what discount price!

My point of this whole exercise is to dicipline CWB sales to a process that is transparent and fair to everyone in both the export and domestic market place.

Japan does not pay more or less than the domestic crushing industry, and this is fair, why should they???

Now on feed wheat, should this also not apply equally?

I agree that the CWB should not be able to "blow apart the domestic market" as your worry about them doing ( as the "commercially sensitive info" is hinted to above, your worries are not without cause).

The CWB must begin diciplining itself by the measure of the commpetitive market place, or else we will continue destroying wheat productivity in the "designated area".

Special "deals" in the domestic or export market, that are done for the convenience of CWB sales people will never maximise returns to "designated area" wheat and barley producers.

If a steal of a deal is going to happen, please let me alone decide where and when this happens, I at least then will have no one but myself to blame.

Does everyone have bad days, and make bad decisions, even people at the CWB?

I believe in truth we are all human, therefore please allow me to be responsible for my own mistakes, not responsible for a mistake made by the CWB!

Now if I chose the CWB to be my marketer, and responsible for selling a specific lot of grain, then it is acceptable for them to be wrong once in a while.

Why?

Because if there was competition, the CWB would fear mistakes, and be much more careful, if they were resonsible marketers. Otherwise they would no longer exist, as no one would market through them!!!

I must exercise this disipline, and am responsible for this every day on my own farm, why should we allow the CWB to have it any easier than ourselves, or anyone else in the world of grain marketing?

Comment

thalpenny,

On basis contacts, you wrote;
              "If the Act of God clause you mention with other companies is foolproof, I'm not sure why you wouldn't try to lock in 125% of production?"

I am sorry that you do not understand that some people actually want to fulfill contracts they sign, and have every intent of doing so.

It just might be possible that relationship can be built to create trust between the contract holders, with simple questions answered to build the trust like acerage and average expected production.

The reality is that if I am committed to supply a particular marketer, they appreciate the opportunity to market all my production at reasonable cost to my farm and themselves!

Unfortunately the CWB monopoly excludes this type of relationship as you are a monopoly and I have very limited choice.

I change contracts with my other marketing partners often, how often would the CWB allow a change in any contract I make with you, before the contract is signed?

The other marketers want my business, and work to get it. Competition and trust regulated what contracts we dream up and what is acceptable!

With the CWB, I see the CWB act as the regulator of contracts.

Wouldn't the first option be much better for the health of the wheat and barley industry?

Comment

thalpenny, and the CWB;

Are significant changes being brought forward and being developed?

I understand even the SWP is requesting the removal of the restrictive contracting system that prevents quality management on supplies coming into the elevator system.

What is being developed to replace the present system, isn't full farmer participation in developing the future system desirable?

Or will farmers who must depend on the system in place be the last to know yet the most affected by the changes?

Why as our "broker" are you so afraid of open public debate on these issues?

Comment

thalpenny and the CWB;

I note on #1CPSRed and #1CWES the initial payments are $120 and $126 respectively.

The PRO's are $183.92 and $185.00, almost $60.00/t above the initials.

On #1CWRS 14.5 the PRO is $216.00 and the initial price is $180.00/t, only a $36.00/t spread.

The larger spread on CPS and CWES are taken directly out of my payment if I have your fixed price contract, as the initial payments you fix are basis spreads between the different types of wheat!

Why haven't there been an adjustments in initial payments, to accurately reflect market conditions?

How can anyone depend on the PPO system (or consider it fair or dependable) if you will not fairly pay us according to market conditions?

Comment

thalpenny and the CWB;

I note on #1CPS White, the initial price is $126/t and the PRO $192.00/t, for a spread of $66/t!

So on Dec 21, 5 months into the marketing year you pay only 2/3rds of the value of our grain, plus if I have a PPO I really get taken through the cleaners?

You regularily increase barley initials when that was required, what is the excuse for not changing wheat initials?

Comment

Thalpenny and the CWB;

I note the Special Select 2 Row Barley initial price is $192.00/t and the PRO only $214/t, for a spread of only $22/t!

You changed the initial twice to reflect the changing barley market, why not even once on wheat?

Comment

thalpenny,

Being that December 21st is a long cold night...

I note the CWB Producer Direct US Morning selling prices for Dec 21st 2001 were as following:

(all prices based at port(Vancouver))

#1CWRS 14.5 was $202.85
                        #1CWRS 13.5 was $199.36
                        #1CWES was $192.10
                        #1CPS RED was $183.92
                        #1CPS WHT was $185.08

The spread on CWB basis contracts are determined by adding the basis to the initial payment of the other classes of wheat. This is based on the #1CWRS 13.5 Protein grade

CWB discount as now subtracted #1CWRS 13.5 $169.20
                        #1CWES -$126.00
                        --------------
                        $43.00/t

If the CWB were to apply a basis payment using the PRO, instead of the initials prices, the following extra $18.00/t would accrue to PPO payments:

#1CWRS 13.5 PRO is $210.00
                        #1CWES PRO is $185.00
                        ------------
                        Discount using PRO $25.00/t

Again an additional $18.00/t to the CWES basis contract.

If however the CWB were to use their own North American sales values the added value is $35.74/t for CWES;

CWB Producer Direct sales as priced #1CWRS 13.5 $199.36
                        #1CWES -$192.10
                        --------------
                        $7.26/t instead of $43.00/t

CWB discount on CPS #1CWRS 13.5 $169.20
                        #1CPS Red -$120.50
                        --------------
                        $48.70/t

#1CWRS 13.5 PRO is $210.00
                        #1CPS Red PRO is $183.00
                        ------------
                        Discount using PRO $27.00/t , in other words $21.70/t is missing from the basis contract payment.

If however the CWB were to use their own North American sales values the added value is $33.26/t;

CWB Producer Direct sales as priced #1CWRS 13.5 $199.36
                        #1CWES -$183.92
                        --------------
                        $15.44/t instead of $48.70/t

Can anyone expect "designated area" wheat producers to call these PPO options "marketing choice"?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...