• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Thistle in Pasture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, the talk about vinegar and thistles has me interested. Does your daughter just spray straight vinegar on the thistles, or does she cut them first and then dribble the vinegar down the stems, or what is her process and how many times do you need to spray with vinegar--also, does it have any affect on the ground, i.e. hard to grow grass back etc..???

Comment

Couple years ago been tried diesel fuel spray on thistle, amazing to me is that thistle would turn black in few days or start wilt couple hours with sunny heat on. But it didn't effective as next year as same spot I have sprayed with diesel fuel, it came back same as before even not less density. Thanks cowman for info regards on Tordon 22K. Recently purchase on that one, sprayed along corral pens and all of corral pens with Tordon 22K. Been talk with Dow rep, say suggest 100 feet buffer zone for river on pasture to spray with either Tordon or Grazon. Because it will shed to river when heavy rain. They suggest me other brand name Restore, checking Alberta Chemical Manual Guide but it not there, so it either old or new. Saying can spray thistle as close to river edge. But use caution when windy so it will not wind chemical to river. Dow rep saying best choice spray for Tordon 22K is in June when growing activity is best. Fall application is ok but best in June. I have spray on corral with Tordon 22K yesterday to experiment on what happen next year. Maybe my option is best time wait for raining season start and that time start mowing thistle. I have seen raining season start middle of June till middle of July. I havn't try that one, will try next year when start really rain hard like 1 inch each day perfect timing to mow. Vinger application on thistle, recently I had on my mind but will work? Someone saying here has work. I would be interest if more information in vinger application and what result in follow year.

Comment

My daughter just sprays vinegar (she uses the stronger pickling stuff) right on the leaves and tries to get it sort of into the middle. It might be more effective if it was mowed first.

Comment

So for next year I believe I will use some vinegar spray especially on the areas near the creek and wet lands--with all chemicals one must stay back a good distance from any water, but vinegar should not do any harm to the ecosystem--especially in the small quantities that would be used to spot spray the evil thistles who like to live next to the water...we must have this conversation again this time next year to see if any of our 'home-made' fixes actually worked and if so for how long they were effective. Diesel will kill just about anything for a little while, however, I don't like the idea of it being in the soil in any large quantities--the environmental thing is a concern if one ever wanted to sell the farm...or for the next generation to sell or whatever...petroleum products get a bad rap from the money lenders, the environmentalist and just about everyone when they get into the soil..

Comment

GreenValley: Restore is a very new product just released this spring...which is why it is not in the "blue book". Restore is actually 24D and "Milestone" in a tank mix. Milestone is the brand name for the herbicide aminopyralid. Ten liters of "Milestone" is $1200...but only 117 ml/acre.
            Your Dow guy is right about Tordon 22K and Grazeon...30 meters from water. It will move in the soil. He gave you some misinformation about Restore/Milestone...right now it too has a restriction of 30 meters, although they are trying to get that reduced or eliminated. Aminopyralid breaks down in water within four hours, picloram(Tordon) doesn't.
            Incidently Dow has test plots at Nisku and Leduc for common tansy and Aminopyralid is about the best I have ever seen. Also impressive on tall buttercup.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...