• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An efficient producer?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know if it is just a matter of money. The Europeans come to this country with a different attitude than a lot of us who have been here for a few generations. They value land more than we do. They see farming as a viable way of life and if it is a matter of staying in Europe and not farming or coming to North American and being able to farm then they will leave friends and family to come here. It is my impression that there are way more and better opportunities for advanced education revolving around practical agriculture in Europe than there are here. Yes the EU has subsidized its producers which even if that got capitalized that capital is available to buy into a farm here. We should not however assume that a lot of those new ventures in Canada are not financed in some way or another and it is my impression that the Europeans are very comfortable with a financing term that is much longer term than we Canadians are. It is also my impression that farmers are important in Europe and the European immigrants who come here bring a sense of self worth with them.

Comment

Very good post farmers_son. The point about further education in agriculture is certainly true of the Dutch - I find their knowledge of soil science for example is very comprehensive. Unfortunately in the UK we don't have the same level of agricultural education. Where you say that farmers come from Europe with a sense of self worth because farming is important, I would argue slightly. The WW2 and post war food shortages certainly gave us an important role but that has fallen by the wayside. Farmers are seen as less important in Europe now than are farmers in Canada in my opinion. However the European producers have the memory (or inflated ego) of being important in the recent past and that is what drives many to want to continue farming.

Cowman, It was the "....when you have more money than you know what to do with!" part I was questioning.
      What makes you think we have more money than we know what to do with? Does the typical Alberta producer have "more money than he knows what to do with" because land here is making $2000 an acre versus $250 acre in Saskatchewan?

Comment

I tend to agree with cowman on this one, although I do know many dutch folks that have come to this country and been very progressive operators, and blended well in their communities.

Some municipalities are really having problems because there are so many european farmers buying up the land and building confined operatations which in themselves aren't the most popular thing in the community, much less when the buyer can afford to plunk down cash on the barrelhead for land that the people who have lived and worked and built the community for generations cannot begin to afford.

It takes balance as with anything else.

Comment

...the difference i see between the new european farmer than the old european guys is they have realised in farming they had to stick together as a one unit...i went to ag college with some of the next generation guys from feedlot alley and and some of the dutch from west of lacombe...i remember one them telling me if the first generation can't pay the debt the next one will...another thing while some of us what i guess you would call native sons were out drinkin beer most of them were on the books...lol...

Comment

...i think maybe coppertop that it justs frustrates grassfarmer to watch is neighbors do the same bad managing practises year after year ...but would you not have to admit as we did just over a short 100 years made a different kind of farmer move his butt and his community... maybe i am looking at this from the wrong angle as what we like to claim as our turf...but either people learn to adjust or you will be pushed out...in my opinion if we have problems out on the farm we have no one to blame but ourselves for voting in politicians that could have made up different rules...

Comment

When the first immigrants came to Canada they had to rely on one another, they were in a new country, many did not speak the language and things weren't easy for any of them.

It seems that today we have lost some of that sense of community and many times are in competition with one another. When someone moves from another country and can pay a high price for land it does tend to bring out the green eyed monster in some folks, and I suspect that many of the europeans moving over here and buying farms have some of the same difficulties as the immigrants of years ago do being accepted into their respective communities which is unfortunate.

Comment

And at the end of the day, who knows who has the most money or made the biggest profit? A lot of really big modern outfits that looked like they had it all, have crashed in a spectacular manner! Usually screwing the bank and a bunch of little people!
                My late brother in law was a machinery dealer and he said you might just be surprized at who has money and who doesn't? He said some tough old bird would drive in with a beatup old pickup and lay down cash for a new tractor, while a big operator was quite often a struggle to get financing for! Appearances can be very decieving.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...