• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pine River

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedar,I don't have alot of details but there is a beef plant coming to Neepawa called Natural Prairie Meats which is going to work in conjunction with Natural Valley Meats in Wolsely Sask.Do a google search on "neepawa slaughter plant" and it should take you to a story in the Neepawa banner.

Cowman,are you suggesting that all of Sask and Manitoba should be left for the buffalo?There are alot of your fellow (former) Albertans gobbling up all the cheap land here and loving it.They say that the ranchers in Alberta struggling to raise cows on that high priced land are crazy.I think I would have to agree.

Comment

There is land that is not quite as pricey as that around the central Alberta and south areas as emrald has said. If you try and buy anything that is within proximity of the highway #2 corridor, that is where you will pay huge dollars for land. Even the land that we used to refer to as "recreational", meaning that it couldn't grow much is now getting quite high priced because urban folk are buying it and using it as weekend retreats. I remember it was less than 10 years ago that land like that went for about $50,000 per quarter, now that same land is $150,000 and you have to put the utilities in and dig for water. My how things change.

Comment

There is land for sale in the Peace region. Some very productive farm land up there, although water is a problem in some areas. Currently there is a proposed water pipeline proposed to connect Fairview with other areas in the north.

Comment

Country guy: No I'm not saying Sask./Man. should all be a buffalo pasture! There is some very good land in both provinces. And I will admit there is a lot of garbage land in Alberta that should still be buffalo pasture!
          And unfortunately where most of the really good land is, is where the cities have grown up?
          Now I will also admit I am biased, because I've always lived fairly close to a fair sized city that has all the amenities. If I want a part for just about any type of machinery I have a 6-8 mile drive. I can access two of the top auction marts in Alberta with the same sort of drive. Same thing for about six vet clinics. Several bulk fuel dealers and fertilizer outfits...same distance.
          Again excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong here, but I just can't see hauling my cattle 50 miles to an auction mart or a vet clinic.
          Now as Linda has stated the land around here is grossly overpriced due to the buying pressures of the "playboys"! And even though we can grow some tremendous crops, it can never pay for itself.
          Another real problem of late is the "oil patch"! There is so much darned activity around that if you want to get anything fixed or welded or built, expect to pay the oil field rate! Which is pricey!
          However all in all, things are pretty rosy out here! We may be sending you lots of ranchers to try their luck but we're getting a lot of your young people , moving here to try their luck in the oil industries! It sometimes seems that most of the people working in the patch were once Saskatchewan farmers!

Comment

Yeah, Pine River is rustic looking all right, My relatives are bearied there.

Once thought about moving to that country from Alberta... then had a reality check...

In my opinion its the back end of no where...

Couldn't sentence my young family to that area. Not enough potential for a life if agriculture remains a struggle...

... I mean there is a reason not many people live in that area from swan to dauphin...

But thats my opinion, if thats where you can buy in, good luck.

Comment

Cowman,
              Land still is cheap, yes I am from north eat England, the cheapest land in England, but an acre of land will still cost you £2,800, that is $6,000, that is if you get the chance to bid for it. The kids are paying £80K-£100K and that is pound sterling for a 1 bedroom apartment. There is no future for my 3 sons over here. Every industry is blitzed with red tape, if you have a sheep that is lame you can have the RSPCA onto you immediately. It seems that there is more cheifs than indians over here, all these educated people over here don't want to be covered in cow muck or digging holes for a living they want to tell us wat to do

Comment

Roly,
                Whether it's Pine River MB or Pine River BC, I hope you get a chance to come live and farm in Canada. There really is no comparison to this beautiful land.

Take care.

PS> Pine River in the BC Peace region has lots of H2O...just ask anyone around here what happened at the tail end of haying season and harvest...40 days and 40 nights of liquid sunshine (or at least it bloody well seemed like it at the time).

Comment

Roly: You come on over! The reasons you give for coming are the reasons just about all our anscestors had for coming!
                  The chance of a better life, some freedom, and a future for their family.
                  In this country the government hasn't got completely out of hand with the "insanity" of totally ruling our lives...although they are doing their best to get there! Thankfully they are so incompetent that you can usually do an end run around a lot of their stupider ideas! Gun control would be a classic example: The federal government brought in gun control to stop crime. Of course it didn't work and the criminals now have more guns than ever! The only ones who don't have guns are the people who might actually need them. But in a way it has worked out because now the criminals can sell guns and ammo to the farmers(who actually need them). So the farmer avoids the red tape, the criminal has a new revenue source, and we have employed a whole bunch of halfwits in the gun registry, who would probably starve to death if they had to get a real job!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...