• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fatherson... rpkaiser... bfw...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassfarmer: Mr. Negativity here again! Actually I wish I had sold all my cows in 2002...wouldn't have seen an asset base shrink by 66%...but hey, you roll the dice and learn to live with it.
    Is it such a terrible thing to ask questions about some of these packing proposals? To ask how come one plant needs over $300/cow capital investment while another needs $50? I have stated very clearly the one at Pincher Creek looks like a winner and they are building it not still talking about it! I think that one can survive even after the border opens.
    I have also stated I believe in the basic concept of BIG Cs plant although I'm not completely sold on the idea of a mega cow plant or the location.
    I do believe the Canadian cattle business is due to turn around...and it won't be all roses but it sure will be one hell of a lot better than losing our shirt!
    For me the cow/calf business comes to an end Jan.1/05. That is the day I transfer ownership. I still intend to run some grass cattle.
    I wonder how I got this reputation of being so old? I still haven't seen my 50th birthday. Still work seven days a week!
    Anyway have a good day...I have to be 80 miles away when the sun comes up and I still haven't loaded the trailer.

Comment

...thanks for the reply bfw... like so many other producers who watch the packers take the profit out of the system it justs seems hard to want these reps on our organizations...I do agree with your comments that us producers need to do what is best for our own families as there will be better days ahead...good luck bfw...

Comment

I will also point out the BIG C plant concept is a long way from fruitation? But RPKaiser sold me on the basic concept. Now if he can ever convince the rest of the industry is another question!
        Another point that sold me was the fact Grant Hirsche is one of the proponents. Grant is an excellent businessman, way beyond his ag pursuits, and understands how to make a dollar and when to be bold in his endeavors! He gets things done!

Comment

If, and I stress if here, the packers are the bain of the industry, then wouldn't that old adage, keep your friends close and your enemies closer make some sense when it comes to the ABP? I'm sure what would be the worst case scenario has been described here when it comes to the packers getting to run the show, but anything is possible, plausible is another matter. Should the restrictions be so tight as to limit the producer owned or domestically owned plants from having a voice? I don't really have an answer, which is why I'm asking.

Seems to me that in discussing the entire chain from the producer through to the retailer, the biggest problem is that signals out in the marketplace aren't making it back to the producer. For example, if a certain cut is doing well, then information isn't making it backwards to ensure that this can be replicated. Now, I have heard that there is nothing from the packer and that there is nothing from the feedlot. There appears to be a bottleneck somewhere, but just exactly where is anyone's guess.

Biggest problem is that the producer isn't privy to this information and that is a large part of the problem as near as I can tell.

Comment

Well Linda, I think the market signals are fairly clear. For example: The market wants that moderate sized animal that marbles and grades AAA? Or in other words they want ANGUS? They don't want Simmental or Charlais?
            It is pretty amazing how fast the cattle industry picks up on this considering? Doesn't take too long to see the Sim bulls go down the road and a black angus out in the pasture?
            Of course you will always have the old diehards who refuse to change? You see them every fall with their straight bred herefords...getting 10 cents a pound less than everybody else!
            You have to be able to see and understand what the market today wants, not what you think is right!
            Now if you inherited the family farm or have a half dozen oil wells or are using your farm as a tax writeoff, then I suppose it doesn't really matter? But if you want to max out profits you have to produce what the market demands?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...