• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No better time for Networks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No better time for Networks

I hate to keep repeating myself but why is it so hard to work together? I've never planned on income from cull cows in my budget. I just don't do it. I do assume a minimum 5% cull rate, but I don't plan on getting money from those culls. However, if you have a large herd, it makes for a larger group of culls to get rid of.

So, to the point, why not make plans for the decreased value? Find a seedstock producer who will give credit for your cull cows, towards the purchase of bulls? Or, contact one of these families we've seen in the Western Producer or Grain News that are using >30 month cattle for dog food, burgers, and byproducts.

We put alot of effort and time into reading and writing on this forum. How far would the same amount of time and effort get you by contacting someone in an effort to form a network? Make some calls, make some contacts, see what you come up with.

As for calf prices, who knows what we're in for, but we can all agree that our industry will probably never be the same. So, in turn, why would we continue to do things the same way we always have? There are producers everywhere already making changes, and some who have been ahead of the game for a long time. But I truly believe that if you are a producer worried or uncertain about what your future holds, you have to consider what you can do or change to adapt and survive. That's the name of the game. It's not about raising the biggest calves, getting the best yields, or having the most land. It's about making a living and enjoying life. It's like in the hockey playoffs right now. It doesn't matter how you score, just as long as you win.

So, why not look around and see who you can work with. It never hurts to try. You can't see the sunshine if you stay in the dark.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...