• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temple Grandin's opinion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temple Grandin's opinion

from the MB Cooperator. An interview with Temple Grandin regarding Zilmax etc...

http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/daily/qa-temple-grandin-on-zilmax-beta-agonists

Discuss......

Also from the MB Cooperator.. the feedlot association's opinion.

http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/2013/08/22/feedlot-association-to-let-market-sort-out-zilmax-flap/

Comment

Thank you for posting these most interesting articles, kato.
      I must say that I trust Temple Grandins observations completely. Obviously, the use of these products requires more research. The optics of it are not good. The question that comes to my mind is how the market will respond and if the feeders and packers will comply.

Comment

Cargill is out as well. Thank God. That shit was not only a deceptive way to treat consumers, but obviously hard on the cattle as well.

Comment

Why is it a crock. Cargill chose not to use this product in Canada at least, because the competiton would accept cattle fed Zilmax giving them easy pickings on the rest. All i know is we have lost a product that increased the ability of cattle to convert feed to lean meat much more efficiently and I don't know of anyone who has seen the effects on the cattle that Tyson claims to have seen. We embrace technology in practically all facets of our lives so why are we so paranoid when it comes to some elements of food production?

Comment

Well BFW, it could be because of a number of things, particularly past experience.

We know that the food and drug regulatory system in Canada is largely ineffective. Maybe you believe the CFIA is effective and well-run, but that would put you in the extreme minority.

Let's take an example. Recombinant bovine growth hormone was not allowed in Canada because a whistle-blower revealed that questionable practices were involved in seeking the approval of Health Canada. It was approved for use in the US.

Subsequent studies have demonstrated that rBGH is potentially detrimental to growth and development in children to the point that WalMart USA no longer sells milk from producers that use rBGH. I thank God every day that my kids have not been exposed to rBGH because of the individual courage of Margaret Haydon.

Both common sense and science indicate that what we feed and inject into cattle can effect the consumers of beef. The drive to maximize the bottom line in the face of questions concerning possible health effects on consumers only increases suspicion of the product itself.

Hard to promote Canadian beef as the tastiest and safest in the world while at the same time using questionable hormones, beta-agonists etc. to maximize 'the ability of cattle to convert feed to lean meat'.

You want me to take your word for it that these products are safe and that it is OK for my kids to go ahead and eat all the beef they want? In the face of some big feeders that I know who keep a few organic head to feed to their own families? A'int gonna happen.

Comment

Hey Cameron, did you get your financial statements from the different sized operations you needed?
              Any progress, news on BSE litigation?
              Take care,
              Larry

Comment

cpallett should really should not comment on things you have so little knowledge of. These products are approved in the USA and Canada using the best science available today. If science should prove there is a problem then these products will be withdrawn from use. You're a lawyer, what happened to innocent until proven guilty??

Comment

cpallett should really should not comment on things you have so little knowledge of. These products are approved in the USA and Canada using the best science available today. If science should prove there is a problem then these products will be withdrawn from use. You're a lawyer, what happened to innocent until proven guilty??

Comment

Sounded pretty reasonable and informed to me.....or I guess we should be listening to the people who sell this shiiii....opps....product!

Comment

Sounded like a lawyer grandstanding for a jury or something to me... Hmmm maybe possible class action suit in the making

Comment

BFW,

I've had the dubious privilege of examining under oath some of the persons responsible for ensuring the 'safety' of these products. Did you know, for example, according to the then Chief of the Medical Devices Bureau that for the first thirteen years of the bureau's existence every single request for enforcement action was refused. Every single one.

Here's something else you may or may not know. Health Canada does not look beyond the information provided by drug or medical device manufacturers seeking a Notice of Compliance to market a new drug or medical device in Canada. As long as the application material is complete, the studies provided by the applicant are considered satisfactory, and the appropriate fee is paid the Notice of Compliance is granted. Standard protocol.

No independent verification of the underlying science is attempted by the regulator. None. It is what is colloquially referred to as the honour system.

You should read the Animal Plant Health Risk Analysis Network's (APHAN) 1996 twenty-nine page risk assessment on the probability of BSE appearing in the Canadian cattle herd. The underlying assumption is that the only way that cattle get BSE is from eating the rendered remains of scrapie-infected sheep. Not from eating infected cattle; only from eating infected sheep (believe me I wish I were making it up). No mention whatsoever of the dangers posed by imported British cattle being rendered and incorporated into calf starter. And you want me to trust the competence of these little beauties? You must have been puffing on something a lot stronger than Justin's blend.

Fortunately for us there are class action lawyers who act as the policemen in the system, because nobody else is, with the possible exception of the consumer. Sad but true.

Comment

I will agree that the consumer will make the ultimate decision in these cases. Your statement on society being fortunate that it has class action lawyers around to act as policemen in the system.... really? I should be asking you what you are smoking!!

Comment

Consumers will make the ultimate decision.....true, but in some cases much too late with the facts. Read anything on treatment of prostate cancer lately....at one time asbestos was the wonder mineral....
                            We do need people digging and looking and questioning. Hell, Duffy would still be raking it in if some smuck media didn't get start digging!

Comment

I think you need to go after Cargill BTW. Sue em - get a lawyer. They encouraged you to use the shit in the first place and now they dump you like Hanna Montana.

Increased muscle? More like expanded it to absorb moisture. Do a simple common sense test on your own. The consumer does. Watch the water steam off a paylean laced pork chop. I like the term stove pipe drug. Put a stovepipe in a bag o potatoes and fill it with rocks. whala. And BTW and Cargill make a bundle.

Except when the ground floor experimenters and not the Tyson, research scientists follow a load or two of fats from the feedlot to the kill floor. Where the animals exhibit behaviour that can only be attributed to one thing different than their experimental cohorts. Strange behaviour and guess what --- tougher meat.

I feel for you BTW - seriously I do, however blaming anyone but the companies who encouraged you and then dumped your ass is simply silly. You are a follower of the big boys and a price taker. You still have a choice -continue to follow and take the lumps, or step out and do something on your own.

BTW - entertaining to see how you want to sensor the lawyer and tell him he should not be having a personal opinion. LMAO

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...