• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing Stones

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwing Stones

A few weeks back when XL was i9n the media spotlight, a few of us were accused of throwing stones at NB.

"What would you do if this would happen to you?" was the question I believe. Happened again in Edmonton this past week. Barely made one news item.

Thus my point. Concentration of power and wealth has it's advantages. Mostly for those at the top, but even for those at the level of the consumer. Most people buy "things" bases on price and the bigger and more efficient a company gets, the cheaper it can produce it's widgets, or chicken or beef. Simple.

The down side to this is that liability also becomes concentrated.

There is no doubt in my mind that the way to turn around the industry that we call our own is to do it ourselves.

Government ain't going to do it for us. And there is little interest in a big picture idea of making the beef cattle industry profitable at every level from the concentrated power at the packing / wholesale level.

The thread below this talking of the declining cow herd has no solution other than blame. The only way to true change is through responsibility.

Yes government needs to be responsible and I will support the BSE class action suit until we win.

Yes CFIA needs to be held responsible for their nonchalant and what I believe to be their "cowering to big corp" attitude.

Yes NB needs to be responsible for what I believe to be driving the piss out of an old car and not maintaining it properly.

AND finally Yes, producers of this country need to take some responsibility and not allow their fine animals to be changed into commodity products by those who only care about profit.

AND NO it will not if we show the young people that there is a way to make this industry profitable beyond handing their fine animals over to someone else just to shift liability.

How can you whine about government and multinationals while feeding the system that cares "not" for your profit potential.

Will the cow herd decline. ---- YES ---- unless producers decide to take some responsibility themselves.

Here is what could happen to us if we do not take "CARE".

EDMONTON - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has suspended the licence of an Edmonton meat-processing plant over concerns for food safety.

The decision involving Capital Packers Inc. came Thursday.

The CFIA says adequate controls for food safety "are not being reliably implemented in the facility on a consistent basis."

The agency also says the company hasn't corrected deficiencies previously identified through CFIA inspections.

It has placed all products at the plant in northeast Edmonton under detention and control.

The agency says it is investigating whether products shipped from the plant pose potential risks to consumers, particularly related to listeriosis, a foodborne illness that can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea.

The CFIA has already announced the recall of two products, saying ham sausages produced at the plant were being pulled from shelves because of concerns about possible listeriosis.

The sausages are sold in 300-gram packages under the Capital brand name and in 375-gram packages sold under the Compliments brand. Both products, which may have been sold nationally, carry the code 2012-DE-26.

The CFIA said its public warning may be updated if additional food products are identified as being a potential health risk.

The agency said there were no reported illnesses associated with eating these products.

"Capital Packers Inc. will not be able to resume operations until they have fully implemented the necessary corrective actions and the CFIA is fully confident in the plant's capacity to effectively manage food safety risks," the agency said in a news release.

On its website, Capital Packers describes itself as an 82-year-old, third-generation family-owned business.

It employs about 100 people.

The website said the company produces 153 varieties of fresh meats, 13 varieties of cooked meats, 151 varieties of smoked meats and nine varieties of pickled meats.

It said the company's market covers western Canada and the Northwest Territories.

Company officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Back in September, the CFIA also suspended the licence of XL Foods in Brooks, Alta., the meat-packing plant at the centre of a massive recall of tainted beef.

Eighteen confirmed cases of E. coli were linked to the plant, which was closed for more than a month before its operating licence was restored in late October.

Management of the plant was taken over by JBS USA, an American subsidiary of a Brazilian company. JBS USA has not yet decided if it will exercise its option to buy the plant.

Earlier this week, the Harper government passed legislation aimed at making the food system safer.

Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said Canadian beef sales, both domestic and international, have not declined in the wake of the XL Foods scare.

© The Canadian Press, 2012

Randy haven't got a big enough rock to throw at the powers to be.

Comment

Forage I was looking for you at our WSGA Pincher Meeting. These topics and more were addressed and 20 folks from the neighborhood showed up. A heck of a good meeting.

Comment

Fully intended to attend. Thought I wouldn't have to head to Fort Mac until after Dec 1 but those plans where rudely interrupted . The Cenovus plant is having some major problems with instrumenation,valve systems, basically every thing in this new plant and they have called back everyone on holidays and leave back.Look forward to hearing how it went.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...