• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans Pacific Trade Deal?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans Pacific Trade Deal?

Canada recently signed up for the TTP. Apparently, because they joined late, they basically have to accept the deal "as is" without any input?
    It seems all supply management industries will basically be phased out?

Now my concern and questions are these:

-On a recent visit to the USA I was kind of amazed at how much cheaper chicken and turkey were than in Canada. If American poultry can be imported freely into Canada with resulting lower prices, what will that do to consumer purchases at the meat counter? Will Canadian consumers replace beef and pork with more chicken?

-New Zealand and Australia have long been able to export cheap grinding meat into Canada and the only thing keeping these exports in check was Canadian import quotas. Under TTP these quotas will be eliminated. Will we see a large increase of Oceania manufacturing beef?

-Now that it looks like JBS is going to get a foothold in Canada, and with the TTP in place, will they ramp up imports into Canada from their Australian plants?

I can see a day when basically our beef, pork, and poultry industries will all be limited to a small group of consumers that will pay more for "made in Canada". I'm not even sure if we will be able to label our proucts "made in Canada" under the TTP agreement?

These big international trade deals are great for multi national agri business...not so good for us small Canadian farmers?

or it means a smaller industry with different production practices than we are now using.

Comment

Canada has a big For Sale sign stuck on the door, with a "Fire Sale" sign on agriculture, and we can thank our government for it.

How do people who voted for these guys feel now?

Comment

Exactly Kato. These are dark times for Canadian agriculture and the food industry in this country.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...