• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Ready to Throw Out the BS to Save the Cattle Industry!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Ready to Throw Out the BS to Save the Cattle Industry!

Alberta to boost beef’s image in wake of E. coli scare
    Province rejects bailout for cattle sector
    By Kelly Cryderman, Calgary Herald October 16, 2012
    — Alberta’s agriculture minister says it’s not the time for the province to grant emergency funding to cattle producers affected by the XL Foods plant closure, but the Redford government will support any campaign to bolster the reputation of the country’s beef.

Verlyn Olson told reporters Monday he’s interested in promoting Alberta and Canadian beef in the wake of the country’s largest-ever beef recall, “and you will be hearing more about the steps that we’re taking to ensure that happens.”

“I’ll just tell you that we support any campaign that will get the message out that everything that can be done is done to keep food safe,” Olson said, following a tour of the massive Cargill Meat Solutions facility in High River.

The Cargill plant has ramped up production to help meet beef processing demand since the XL Foods plant in Brooks was shuttered last month.

Olson was accompanied on the tour by representatives of the industry, including Canada Beef president Rob Meijer, who said a media campaign to address consumer concerns about food safety — without a lot of “technical speak to it” — could be rolled out within the next two weeks.

“We’re going to be talking to consumers and the public, much more directly,” said Meijer, whose organization markets and promotes Canadian beef worldwide.

On Monday, there were signs the XL Foods plant in Brooks could get the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s (CFIA) approval to start slaughtering cattle again before the end of the week.

With 15 people in four provinces sick from a strain of E. coli linked to the Brooks facility, more than 1,800 beef products sold by XL Foods have been pulled from store shelves in the past month.

The plant has also been shut out of the key U.S. market since Sept. 13 and was closed by federal inspectors almost three weeks ago.

In the interim, the Cargill facility in High River — which has 2,000 employees who process 4,500 head of cattle per day — has added a Saturday shift and has been operating six days a week to pick up the slack.

Speaking to reporters outside the plant, Olson addressed concerns about a recent drop in cattle prices. He said there are other factors contributing to the price dip besides the decline of processing capacity.

Still, cattle producers say they are feeling anxious every day the XL plant is still closed.

But the minister said that with an array of agricultural programs already in place to help farmers and ranchers, there’s no need for an infusion of emergency cash, at this point.

“It’s early days in terms of things like disaster programs. We are not contemplating that,” Olson said.

The NDP and the Liberals have slammed the Redford government for being “cheerleaders” for Alberta beef rather than making public health its priority.

All three opposition parties — including the official Opposition Wildrose — have also called for the government to consider providing incentives to create new meat packing capacity in the province.

Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith said Monday that such a move is a necessity.

“We have to. There’s no question,” she said. “It’s clear we are so tight for slaughterhouse capacity in Western Canada that we need to look at ways we can expand the capacity for small and mid-size operators.”

“We can’t allow our consumers to be put in this position where a single incident creates so much disruption and there are no other options.”

However, Olson questioned whether it’s the government’s place to interfere in the market.

“I wonder about (whether) the role of government is to mandate how big an operation should be, how big a business should be,” he told reporters.

With files from James Wood, Calgary Herald, and the Canadian Press. kcryderman@calgaryherald.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Pretty amazing timing that Rob Meijer (ABP/CCA) was standing with Mr. Olsen at the American Multinational plant when the announcement was made that money would be available to promote Alberta Beef.

Don't think I will call Rob with the ad campaign I have to promote locally grown, naturally raised, Alberta Beef. I will take that request directly to the government.

I went down and picked up a few printed novelty items at the Canada Beef (ABP/CCA) office a week before opening our new store in Calgary. Purposely letting them all know that we were opening a new store selling ALBERTA BEEF. No one seemed to turn out? Too busy planning a media blitz about how this ecoli thing could happen in farm gate beef as easy as multinational processing plants I guess.

Comment

One thing about the Alberta government...they are experts at spinning the facts! Everytime they get caught in a oil field wreck they do a media blitz to assure the peasants all is well....of course nothing changes and the same old garbage goes on but Hey, it sounds like they actually care!

I suspect that is what will happen here? A whole lot of spin....no meat and potatoes.

I get a little concerned when politicians start talking about "incentives" for private business? Don't they realize Alberta is broke...we are looking at a $3 billion deficit?

I wish Danielle Smith would tell us where she's going to get the money for these "incentives"? I thought the Wildrose party was all about free enterprize and smaller government that stayed the hell out of the private market? Didn't they preach "we don't pick winners or losers....we let the market decide"?

Comment

Whoops. Guess I logged in under someone elses name last night.... Read her post the other day and simply had to meet her...LMAO

Pretty much a capitalist myelf ASRG, however when it comes to food, it has become obvious to me and a growing number of people that allowing the market - as you call it -- to dictate size has not worked. Food simply became another commodity in the game and I think that Daniell is starting to understand as well.

As for incentives, our group which is proposing a producer owned value chain at a large level is only asking government for a loan or a loan gurantee.

Comment

If you feel the need for a female alias Randy you could
          always use farmers_daughter, lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...