• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Ecoli thing Affect the Bred Sales?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the Ecoli thing Affect the Bred Sales?

When people buy bred cows how much does the salvage value affect the price they are willing to pay?
    If you know you can get $1100 for the cow for slaughter, that $1400 is easier to justify than if she is only worth $900 as a cull? Does that bred cow need to fall in price?
    Too bad for the older guys hoping to cash in on dispersing their herds this fall....maybe a real opportunity for young guys hoping to expand?

ASRG---I have been pondering on this topic of yours for a while now. For the last 10 years I have been an active purchaser of a group of bred heifers each fall. I started back in 2000 and have never missed a year.

Bred heifer season & bred cow season is coming up in Nov & Dec again.

Cull cow price, current calf price, optimism in the cattle industry, feedsupply on hand, labor force at home, long term goals all come into play.

With BSE I for one thought it could of been a short-lived event. As this ECOLI goes forward there appears to be more and more "negative media" attention. CFIA scandal, XL beef Scandal, Consumer looking to other food selection.

Will be an interesting fall going forward.

Comment

Bought cows last 5 years but not this to much negativity in the market tired of being the low man on the totempole. Nobody expanding around here last one that leaves please shut off the light.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...