• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan's Reactor

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan's Reactor

I have been following the situation in Japan closely. Factual information can be had at:

http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/

This nuclear incident may be different than Chernobyl in that much of the radiation may end up in the ocean and less in the atmosphere. Japan is a nation of fish eaters but the following story from Bloomberg suggests concerns over radiation contamination will change that:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-24/japanese-swap-fish-for-burgers-soy-milk-on-radiation-contamination-fears.html

This morning radiation levels in the ocean near the power plant were many times higher than when the story was written on March 24.

Check out this article on Japan's meat consuption:

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4475E/y4475e09.htm

My expectation is that Japan will ease some age restrictions on imported beef and pork products from Canada in order to ensure a secure and reasonably priced food supply for their citizens in the near future. Maybe months, maybe even sooner.

The situation in Japan is very, very unfortunate and it a concern to everyone to see the problems there. Countries like Canada are in a position to assist with the domestic food issues that I see as being inevitable within Japan in the coming days and weeks.

Not a great situation but there certainly are opportunities to fill the void. Do you know what kind of radioactive material is leaking. I was wondering what its half life is.

Comment

I only skimmed along because work is ready for me. Lets hope it is Radioactive Iodine 131 with a half life of 8 days. It could be Cesium 137 with a half life of 30 years and it best not be uranium, 146 4 billion years, 143 7 billion years and most likely 234 245,000 years.

I would hazard a guess it is the most transportable Iodine 131.

Half life is the amount of time it takes to loose half of its energy. So in 8 days Iodine 131 is half as strong and in another 8 days it is at 1/4 etc. Yes I know you are aware of that fs,I just thought someone might like to know.

Comment

It is my understanding that reactor 3 was fueled with MOX with contains plutonium plus uranium. Plutonium has a half life of 24000 years. Reactor 3 is the one that is suspected of being breached, either in the containment vessel or the pipes and valves connected to the vessel. The plutonium will get diluted in the ocean but still it is a very serious situation which I believe will impact not on Japans consumption of fish but world consumption.

According to the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/radionuclides/plutonium.html

"External exposure to plutonium poses very little health risk, since plutonium isotopes emit alpha radiation, and almost no beta or gamma radiation. In contrast, internal exposure to plutonium is an extremely serious health hazard. It generally stays in the body for decades, exposing organs and tissues to radiation, and increasing the risk of cancer. Plutonium is also a toxic metal, and may cause damage to the kidneys."

Comment

I will take a look at your links. Thanks.

Now that you are entering an area that I have spent years looking at, I hope I can provide you with some links that helped educate me.

First, you must understand one very big issue:

The "radioactivity" coming out of these reactors and spent fuel pools contains "HUNDREDS" of different radioactive isotopes - not just iodine, cesium, plutonium, uranium. Dr. Gordon Edwards has an excellent presentation at: http://www.ccnr.org/stockholm-2007/

"A picture/slide presentation which is extremely educational." MUST SEE!

Japan's Fukushima meltdown is already worse than Chernobyl. The one thing that can be guaranteed is that the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Assoication) has put a tight noose on the information coming out. Every day, the releases accumulate. From a BBC news article March 25 example of their lies:
          "Levels of radioactive iodine in the sea near the tsunami-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant are 1,250 times higher than the safety limit, officials say.

The readings were taken about 300m (984ft) offshore. It is feared the radiation could be seeping into groundwater from one of the reactors.

But the radiation will no longer be a risk after eight days, officials say."

As I said, iodine 131 is only one isotope of hundreds being released. Two - it takes 10 half-lives before levels reduce to negligible levels. Iodine 131 will bio-accumulate in the thyroid gland causing thyroid cancer (for one) see link below about documentary Chernobyl Heart. Pictures/video are worth more than words.

"Chernobyl Heart" - the consequences to health, and future generations, as a result of Chernobyl:
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=414073095760658789#

Link to radiation monitors USA:
          https://cdxnode64.epa.gov/radnet-public/showMap.do
          You may have to unblock popups on yellow tab top of page. It is not good! I have been watching here for days, and levels are up and down, up and down. Radioactive isotopes from Japan are making it to North America.

It may take a few years, but this disaster will have an effect on shortening life-spans, increasing cancers etc, around the world. Japan is contaminated (wide-spread), and has only been spared the worse by the "direction the wind is blowing". If it blows-back onto the island, things will change fast.

Comment

I found a website for Canadian measurements, tables, see link:

http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/pdfs/japan-earthquake/FPS%20Canada-MRS%20Daily%20Dose%20Table%20to%20March%2026%20-%20ENG.pdf

I note that for Calgary, they are saying that the minimum levels are 0.28 uSv/hr., maximum 0.48uSv/hr with the average from March 10 - March 26th being 0.48uSv/hr.

Well, I'm just east of Hanna 12 miles and I have never had a reading over 0.25uSv/hr. My averages are around 0.10uSv/hr. I doubt very much that Calgary would have readings that are over twice my average. And to say that 0.48uSv/hr would be normal - is ridiculous. That would be 4 times higher than what we are experiencing in Hanna.

Be careful what these experts tell you, when they compare things to "what's normal". I'll have to take some measurements when I'm in Calgary next.

Comment

Epa site not working today? Wonder why?

Have a link for a web cam view of Fukushima with pics taken each day at certain hours:

http://www.woweather.com/weather/news/fukushimaLANG=us&VAR=webcam&SAT=201103230900

check out 05:00 which is March 23, 05:00 top and right on list. When you place the cursor on the time, the dates will show.

Comment

Here is a link to a Japanese satellite picture for weather patterns; you can see that the jet-stream is coming right past the Japanese east coast and straight over to North America. Might be helpful for predicting our weather, as you can see how the systems are building off the coast.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/

A note on the Canadian nuclear link, above, a table on radiation reading across Canada - spoke with a representative who stated this "chart" is a Health Canada item, and definitely it is ONLY measuring specific isotopes (although not sure which ones). He is checking into it for me. Best way to confuse people is to use "charts for specific this or that isotopes"... makes the whole thing very difficult to understand.

Note: Radiation reading in ocean near Fukushima 4500 times above normal? for Iodine 131. It is bogus to measure Iodine 131 as its half-life is so short, only 8 days. As time goes on, these levels won't reflect the true radiation contamination of the ocean with those isotopes with longer half-lifes, which are accumulating daily. BAD BAD BAD BAD....

Comment

Thanks for shortcutting some of the research into learning more about this Kathy and Fs. I have found many sites the mysteriously quit working. To quote Kathy all I can say is......BAD BAD BAD BAD....

Comment

Website with pictures of Fukushima reactors from unmanned drone:

http://cryptome.org/eyeball/daiichi-npp/daiichi-photos.htm

Comment

Sea water off of Fukushima plant has now reached levels (I believe only measuring iodine 131) of 7.5 million times above allowable limits. Levels are said to have dropped to 5 million times above allowable limits, but these numbers will jump up and down as radioactive water leaks from reactor site.

AGAIN, measuring iodine 131 with a half life of only 8 days, is totally deceiving. Other isotopes with half lives of years, are just as dangerous as the iodine 131 and they act like they don't even exist. There is absolutely no guarantee that the water leaking from the sub-basement of the reactors is only from unit 2. Water, like shit, flows downhill and the basement could be pooling water from all the reactors, including the MOX fuel reactor 3, with plutonium-mixed fuel rods, and from spent fuel pools.

Canada has apparently SHUT DOWN their radiation monitoring equipment on the west coast: see article:
                      http://www.infowars.com/epa-to-raise-limits-for-radiation-exposure-while-canada-turns-off-fallout-detectors/

I can confirm this as the site which listed levels (I told you about earlier) has stopped measuring levels as of March 26/11.

Considering that this leaking of radiation into the sea and air will likely go on for months, if not years?, our officials are clearly running from a bad situation with their heads shoved up their rear ends.

If people still support the nuclear power industry after this display of TOTAL INCOMPETENCE - then they are fools!

I hope you'll read the Mike Adams article listed at the link, for more important information on how governments are fudging the data and limits to pull the wool over our eyes.

Comment

Goodmorning Kathy--Thankyou for your expertice on this subject. Each of us can only research so many avenues. Some day when I pass through your area I will meet you in person.

Comment

April 12 update: Japan raises level of catastrophe to LEVEL 7 (same as Chernobyl), due to the fact that they can no longer hide the massive levels of radiation being released from Fukushima. It has been raining there, so Japan is reaping the fallout in the rain, instead of it blowing away over the ocean.

A Bloomberg article states:
                          "Japan was struck by two earthquakes stronger than magnitude 6 yesterday, hindering recovery efforts as workers were temporarily evacuated. The temblors followed a 6.6-magnitude quake April 11 and a magnitude 7.1 aftershock on April 7.

While there was no damage to the Fukushima plant from the recent earthquakes, disruptions make it difficult to assess when it will achieve cold shutdown of the three damaged reactors, said Junichi Matsumoto, general manager of one of Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s nuclear divisions. The station has six reactors."

Two points, DUH I think a magnitude 6 earthquake would shake up the already damaged infrastructure of these fragile reactors. Also, there will be no "cold shutdown" of at least 3 of these reactors, as they are already in melt-down. Shut-down and melt-down don't go together. Chernobyl required lead and sand to be dumped onto the open reactor core to mix with the fuel to 'stabalize' it to some degree. The Chernobyl "core/mass" is still, to this day, emitting radioactive particles into the atmosphere.

Website with webcam picture of Fukushima site, shows that there has been alot more "steam and releases" from the site over the last week.

http://www.woweather.com/weather/news/fukushima?LANG=us&VAR=webcam&SAT=201104110500

Fewer and fewer EPA radiation monitors are working (or online) as the days go by. Meanwhile, the "authorities" in Japan and HERE in North America etc. are raising the so-called safe allowable levels of radionuclides in food.

"This is safe, no this level is safe, oops, now this level is safe. Oh Sh.. what levels do we say are safe, when the amounts in the environment just keep increasing?" (CFIA and their counterparts around the world - getting away with murder!)

Comment

April 21 update: Here is a link to a video wherein two Japanese reporters went into the 20 km exclusion zone and took readings and video of the deserted region.

At around 9:30 you'll see cattle roaming aimlessly, now that's traceability for you. Dog packs wondering around too. At least at Chernobyl they shot the dogs and livestock so nobody could be bitten or eat them. Dogs around chernobyl were seen foaming at the mouth like they had rabies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9iJ3pPuL8
                            Inside report from Fukushima nuclear reactor evacuation zone.

Now the Japanese government is going to prevent people from entering the exclusion zone and showing the damning evidence of the radioactive contamination. I will note, that my geiger counter (similar to the ones these reporters used) has an average daily measurement of 0.10 uSv/hr. I believe at the highest they recorded, the readings were over 100 uSv/hr. It will vary of course, with the wind etc.

Please notice that you cannot SEE that anything is wrong. These reporters CANNOT FEEL that anything is wrong. These zones are now uninhabitable, and the contamination reaches well outside of the "official exclusion zone" which was expanded to 30 km. Perhaps Mr. Haney would like to move their and raise their Waygu cattle for them.

Comment

Hope everyone has watched the video from within the exclusion zone in above post.

I keep tabs on the webcam pictures of Fukushima, and noticed
                              Friday Arpil 22, 2011 - 4 PM shot, link
                              http://www.woweather.com/weather/news/fukushima?LANG=us&VAR=webcam&SAT=201104220800

Placing cursor on the time schedule will display the date/time.

Still raining in Japan, and as this picture shows, everything is NOT under control. Picture shows significant smoke/steam rising from site.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...