• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP Flyer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABP Flyer

Here is a flyer I intend passing out at meetings in my zone - if anyone wishes to use it in their zone feel free.

Dear Producer,

Tonight you will no doubt hear a lot of discussion about the introduction of the Alberta Livestock and Meat Strategy (ALMS). However, despite what the ABP would have you believe the biggest problems facing producers today have nothing to do with the ALMS. Please bear in mind that to date the ALMS has not cost producers any money, indeed, even if you oppose it you will qualify for the first Government payment of $25 per cow.

The bigger issues are that cow/calf producers cannot make money selling calves under a $1/lb no matter how low cost their management system is. Equity is being wiped out as the breeding herd is liquidated at woefully low cull values.

Some of the real (but unmentioned) causes of the current crisis are;
    * Lack of competition in the packing sector.
    * The captive supply situation at feedlot level which prevents independent feedlot owners gaining a fair price for their cattle.
    * Over dependence on the American market.
    * Inability/unwillingness to develop export markets other than the USA.

ABP has used your check-off dollars to actively support the status quo on the above issues. ABP directors and delegates have repeatedly voted down producer resolutions that seek to control packer ownership of fed cattle. They have repeatedly voted down producer resolutions that seek to BSE test for market access.
    Tonight is your one chance in the year to hold ABP accountable for their actions. If you oppose these ABP policies please support a resolution tonight to make the cattle levy directional which would allow you to redirect your check-off dollars to organizations that will fight for producer interests. ABP has shown time and again that they are unable or unwilling to represent producers – it’s time for a change.

At the ABP meeting last night in Veteran, which my hubby attended, the producers were not given an opportunity to address their own concerns until after the guest speakers were finished their presentations.

The meeting started at 7 pm, and the guest speakers and coffee break, brought the meeting to 10:45 before anybody had a chance to bring up their resolutions and/or concerns.

What is the point of zone meetings, if the zone members are not allowed to discuss matters in a thorough manner that isn't rushed?

Why don't we have just one zone meeting per zone? Get it over with, make it a half day affair, show up or send someone that can represent you.

This would allow for the delegates to have a better concensus on what the entire zone wants to happen. Arguements for and against each issue will be open and transparent to all.

Comment

Kathy, this has been common practise at zone meetings in recent years - waste enough time with their own talking that there is no time for producers views to be heard which is what the meetings are supposed to be about. What else would you expect from such an undemocratic organisation?
      It particularly annoys me that they go through the financial statements line by line - given that all producers received a printed copy by mail in advance I think it would suffice to ask for questions on the financial statement from producers.

Comment

I came across Agri-ville.com yesterday and this is now my first day at reading everyone's posts - what NEGATIVITY! I am appalled at the lack of maturity the "beef industry" contains. It is one thing to stand up & speak, but another to trash & smear another's name. Grassfarmer, you make valid points in the majority of you statements, and yes, we would all love to see the ABP make some better progress. But this is reality, life - does ANYTHING come easy without a little work? There needs to be producers such as yourself to challenge organzitions but the lack of respect you show does nothing for the beef industry. I was raised to show respect even if it is against my beliefs for I shall be the better person...

Comment

On another note, at our zone meetings, there has been plenty of time for producers to speak out. In fact, the ABP representatives have had discussions to bring forth conversation when producers have been quiet. We briefly cover the financial reports & have an opportunity to ask questions. Our meetings have ended on time, positive with all topics covered. I just thought it was important for those reading to know that not all zone meetings are the same...

Comment

Welcome aboard cowgirl, it's good to have another ABP supporter on the forum. Apart from farmers_son and loric (as part of her job) they seem rather scarce although I suspect there are many lurkers who read and don't post.
            As for respect and ABP - you are right I have no respect for the organisation. I do however respect a lot of the staff and delegates who are hardworking, honest people.
            I can tell you exactly the moment my respect for the organisation disappeared - at a zone meeting a few years back a producer was trying to move a resolution on an issue that might have been seen to be critical of an ABP policy. The producer was unused to public speaking and got rather flustered and tongue tied when he was told that his resolution would have to be reworded before it was deemed acceptable (it was arguably poorly written but did not contain anything offensive or anything of that nature) Now the top table of ABP delegates etc had been helping a few of the other proposers reword their fairly innoculous resolutions earlier in the evening but this guy was left hanging, no help, no suggestions until he finally withdrew the resolution. While this was going on and for a while afterwards some of the delegates were sitting s******ing like school girls at the man's misfortune and making comments amongst themselves about it. That to me is symtomatic of the culture of arrogance that prevails amongst sections of ABP and perhaps explains why more producers do not stand up and make resolutions. It demonstrates how democracy can be subverted very easily and casts a large shadow in my mind of the democratic principles of the whole organisation.
            I will treat the ABP organisation with respect when it starts treating producers with the respect they deserve.

Comment

Grassfarmer - I have read the majority of your recent posts & will give you respect & credit for your knowledge of the "industry" as a whole. I am very new to the politics of the beef industry but have been a long time cow/calf producer. I KNOW cows just as good as anyone, BUT I am learning the politics. Thanks for all your insight, but I do find the lack of respect unfortunate (but it is your choice).
              I can certainly understand where your frustration with the ABP came from. I think it is important to always question the ABP but not to slander certain representatives. It only fuels hostility & I really don't think we want that in the beef industry. The packers are an important part of the link but you make it sound like they are the "bad guys", and therefore anyone who is supporting or helping them is deamed WRONG.
              I've only attended 2 ABP zone meetings (my first ones) and found them to be quiet. Either producers have nothing to say (which several did present great resolutions that hopefully will carry) or are too scared to speak up (of which several did address heated topics).
              My husband & I work hard on our ranch, we raise excellent quality beef and in the mean time are searching new ways to increase the profit made by our cows. Some of the profit decline has been market driven but at the same time management has had a major impact. I think we are at a time where paradigms need to shift drastically & traditions need to take a back seat in beef production. Fuel prices & feed grains are at all time highs (although recently decreasing, albeit, slowly), machinery inputs steadily increasing, etc. Producers need to take internal stock of their operations before slashing the ABP.
              Just my thoughts for the day...

Comment

Minister Groenveld said the industry hasn't changed even after all the money the government has put into it.

I resent the comment, on a personal level, because we DID change our operation. We used to keep some calves as backgrounders, now we keep all of them, (moisture and water level being the main limiter) we grass them all summer, and sell the yearlings in the fall when they are 1.5 years old. This has greatly helped out on the income levels, compared to selling calves in the fall.

The guys that keep raising calves and selling them in the fall are the ones that didn't change. And the feedlot industry is quite happy with that, because it keeps their business going.

Don't you think the question the government is asking (or scratching its head about) is why are primary producers selling their calves and bitching about the prices in the fall, when they could keep them longer and sell next year? Why are we supporting primary producers that haven't altered their marketing methods. They can only make more money by owning more cows.

I feel that keeping the cattle longer on grass is the future, and the feedlot industry will reduce the amount of time they possess cattle (in the feedlot).... But as long as government funding gets handed out on a per animal basis, there is little incentive to make the best of fewer animals. It is a total numbers GAME; with the illusion that bigger is better.

Too many families are trying to hold on by having larger numbers of cattle, and they are losing out on their time with their kids and wives. There are only so many hours in a day, and so many days in a year. Our kids grow up way to fast, and they need us in their lives, not just paying for their toys, or using them to get the chores done.

Globalism of the cattle industry only promotes the numbers game, to the largest extent. Maybe alot of our farm kids don't want to stick around, because like all kids, they want to get away from their parents for a while, see the world. They've watched how hard their parents work and they are scared of being trapped in a job where separation of work and home is non-existant.

Comment

Definitely agree with you there Kathy, The numbers game isn't going to keep you ahead - all this talk of keeping 400 cows to be viable next year instead of the 350 we had last year to fight falling prices is insane. There is no way you could buy/rent land and be ahead. I think the future is getting way more per head out of each animal, however you attain it and also getting more production per acre without bringing in a lot of outside inputs.

Our net on selling grass-fed beef is easily over $200 ahead of commodity fat cattle selling. We are only charging 75% of the average retail price according to ABP. If we upped it all the way we could be at least $600 per animal ahead of commodity! To me that indicates a lot more potential than running another 50 cows to make $50 a head selling calves.
                  Smaller scale, higher value - better for the land, the animals and the producer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...