• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North?

Has anyone noticed this? I know I never have.

Who needs a compass when you've got Bessie?
    Last Updated: Monday, August 25, 2008 | 6:01 PM ET
    CBC News
    'North? It's that way.' (Kirsty Wigglesworth/Associated Press)The next time you're lost in cottage country, look for a deer or a cow — they can tell you directions, scientists say.

Researchers in Germany and the Czech Republic have found that deer and cows have an innate magnetic sense, as they tend to align themselves with the Earth's magnetic field lines when at rest. When grazing or resting, the animals were found to face either magnetic north or south, according to the report that appears in Monday's edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In their study, researchers looked at Google Earth satellite photographs of 8,510 cattle in 308 pastures and plains around the world, as well as field data collected on nearly 3,000 deer in 225 locations in the Czech Republic.

Wind and sunlight tend to have a big effect on positioning, the researchers said, as the animals tend to orient themselves in ways that best take advantage of available warmth. However, those effects were discounted in the positioning study because they varied greatly across geographies.

That meant a magnetic sense was the most logical rationale, the researchers wrote. Although ranchers have long known that a herd of cattle tend to face the same direction, no one has ever noticed the specific direction they face.

"Amazingly, this ubiquitous phenomenon does not seem to have been noticed by herdsman, ranchers or hunters," the report says. "Because wind and light conditions could be excluded as a common denominator determining the body axis orientation, magnetic alignment is the most parsimonious explanation."

The scientists, led by Sabine Begall of the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany, pointed out that in previous studies, birds, turtles and salmon have all been proven to use magnetic guidance in their migration. Several rodent and one bat species have also been shown to use an innate magnetic compass.

What a crock of beans. Next time that I get lost I will trust my GPS more than the orientation of a cow or a deer.

These "investigative" people must be receiving government grants in order to afford the waste of time and effort.

Comment

government grants, absolutely, this is how the experts spend taxpayer money.

All of us have some version of this magnetic system. Some animals are just more keen then the rest of us.

Magnetic north is shifting! Perhaps there should be more discussion about this phenomena in relationship to melting ice caps and climate change, instead of deer-brand GPS.

I always thought my cows faced one direction because they don't like the wind in their ears - so they put their rears into the wind.

Comment

Geepers you guys are negative! Farmers_son has posted something interesting that we could say "I never noticed that" or "Wow, north is in so many different directions." Most of us tend not to get lost where our cows are anyway but it sounds interesting.

Comment

I think it's interesting that someone took the time to actually check this out.

I've been using the "what direction horses are standing in the field" method of checking wind direction for years. Now I'll have to check out the "what direction the cows are pointing" method to find the way home! LOL

Comment

Kato you know the cows will figure it out and point east just to screw with your mind.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...