• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

barley silage pricing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barley silage pricing

a couple years ago I was told a tonne of 65% moisture barley silage was worth 10 times the price of a bushel less harvesting costs (or 7 times the price of a bushel and no harvest cost). This worked great for a feedlot then, what about now?
    5.50/bu times 7 is 38.50/tonne standing, or 55/tonne less $15/tonne to swath/chop and bag in the field is $40/tonne.
    Are these reasonable prices?
    Anybody want to guess what straw/greenfeed/mixed grass hay will be worth?
    I know the neighbor hog guy is feeding all the byproducts he can find, what about the beef industry?

SCREW THE CWB

We had a different method for calculating silage years ago, but I can't remember it now, maybe another cup of coffee.... I'll dig it up and post it later. Hay prices here are going crazy. We tried to get some hay in earlier and had a real hard time finding any. Good alfalfa at that time was $100/tonne. It's gone up since then. It was up to $125 and now I hear there's a guy I've never heard of running around offering $135.

Comment

Found it. The number we use here is 20% or 5 times. So if barley grain is 200 a tonne, barley silage standing at 65% is $40 a tonne.

Comment

Thanks Brian99, I was wondering if these cow guys had any idea what feed was worth (or if they would admit it in public LOL).
        Your numbers are similar to mine. I am now going to shop around for straw value vs nutrient replacement (better deal for the neighbors that will deal with me on manure).

SCREW THE CWB

Comment

Sorry, that came out wrong (because its a long weekend and I am in the crown royal).

SCREW THE CWB

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...