• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calf Warming Boxes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what kind of hot boxes the moose, elk and deer use....

Comment

feed barley forward price dec 15 $250 port equates to $220 on farm will be a incremental seller once $258 is hit.

many traders suggesting barley feed will be the big mover in 15 because of chinese issues and policy and gm corn concerns, not sure whats going on exactly Charlie or errol care to comment

Comment

Sometimes mother natures warmingbox does not work either!A few years ago we had a snowstorm at the end of April beginning of May and it got cold and windy and we picked up a bunch of dead frozen bison babys as even they could not make it A large ranch near my place used a schoolbus withouth seats right out in the field and used it as a warming box and it worked quite well when you get 30 calves a day at the peak or in this instance in a spring blizzard you cant leave it up to mother nature or your gone!

Comment

Damn the school bus is a great idea. Sounds like something to send into farmshow.

Comment

In our part of the world, moose, elk, deer start calving in mid to late May after the danger of deadly snow storms, I have never seen their calves with frozen ears or frost bite ...

Comment

Many guys have backed up calving. February and March is getting pretty old. It's hard to find help or desire to live with your cows at calving. Although my experience says the more work you do the more calves you save irregardless of February or May calving. Cows aren't deer but warmer weather makes calving a lot simpler.

Comment

Thanks all, opted to build a homemade and hoping not to use it. Had an eager bull from the neighbors otherwise would be fairweather calvers too

Comment

lots of comments:

Knowing many cattle producers yet that are still in the industry there are those of us that calve in Mid Feb/March and April.

There are two reasons why some of us still calve late Feb/March April time.

1)Grain farming operation is May.

2)Being part of Co-mingling of grass pastures. PFRA or other coops.

Older calves one appears to have less health problems when they go to grass in these pastures. Stronger calves are a preference for some of us.

The "HOT BOX" for the individual calf or two calves is great to have if and when you need it.

Again it is just another "tool" that is available for those producers that are in this situation.

Seen only through the experience of a seasoned veterinarian in the cow-calf industry.

Comment

I'd agree with you partly there WiltonRanch that work generally produces better results. I still question the type of work involved - to me the work is in planning a system and putting the parts together to create the conditions for the cows to do what they do best - birth and raise calves.
                    I still see so many people that dread calving season, they work all hours night and day to "save" the calves. Pulling calves, getting them to suckle, shutting them in "claiming pens" babysitting everything they do. There is a whole industry based on this fight with nature - calf sleds, warming boxes, calf ear muffs, heated barns, close circuit TVs the list is endless.

Funny thing is if you have the genetics rights, but more importantly the conditions right (ie cow condition, time of year, suitable place to calve) the more you leave them alone the better they do. I'm not suggesting people neglect their animals but if you set things up right a walk through the herd twice a day is about all that's needed. I think a lot of people don't appreciate the negative impacts their well meaning interference causes to the cows.

Again I'd stress I'm not advocating neglecting cows, you still need to assist the occasional animal or give them shelter through an inclement weather event but most times they manage just fine without you if you have done your part in setting the conditions up right for them. For us that means late April/May calving on banked grass but others will have different seasons for different reasons. June calving like the deer gives us more problems than calving a month earlier.

Comment

It's sure not a one size fits all decision. For us, early is still the best. We would much rather fight cold than wet. That being said, we have good facilities, which makes it a lot easier. We leave one cow shed empty until calving starts, then cycle the first 40 cows through the barn to calve, then out to this shed. That reduces distance to do night checks, and eliminates that shed and lowers the size of the group of uncalved cows that need to be checked. Even at 30 below, the barn is warm. No frozen ears there.

After that first group is done the weather usually moderates, and calving starts happening out in the other big shed. We put an electric wire across the shed fronts gradually, one section at a time, and by the time it's warm and wet, the calves are pretty much living like little kings in there. We had six inches of wet snow last night, and the calves hardly noticed.

Comment

again Well said Kato.

We too have good facilities. We do not have a "heated Barn", the calving barn is insulated and used for Late Feb calving of the heifers. We have "no cameras". We do not check at night. In cold weather there is 4 pen stalls down each side of an alley. Put the newborn calves with Dam in pens and fill up the alley with Breds. The barn is warm.

Calving problems----Calved out over 80 now and have put the puller on two animals.

Saved three animals that were put in the HOT BOX. Fill their belly with "first milk" PUt them in the hot box and have the heater blow warm air up under neath them. Come out in morning and find a calf standing and ready to go to MOM.

Buy bred heifers from same reputation breeder each year. Bulls have moderate birth weights and nice calves.

The calving barn is used for the start of calving only. Once the temp moderates there are two other sheds where calving can take place.

The pairs are grouped according to age of calves. Now working on the third pen for cow calf pairs.

THe calving shelters for after calving have Round straw bales around the outside for warmth. Two swing gates at each of the open fronts. Cows can go in and around the shelter inside but the inner area has a plank about 2.5 ft high so calves can stay in area away from dams. The front of the open face shelters have clear plastic down from the roof to let the sunlight and warmth in. Round bales on end paneled off are across the front for warmth.

calving like this march has most happening on shredded windrow of hay and what is not used is bedding. Pairs are moved away each day into one of the other pens.

Looking at first of April to move them out on paddock areas but still access to huts or shelters if weather changes.

Love calving season. Like to be busy.
                        Not many cow-calf operators in the area and the coffee row and crop supply depots are full of "grain farmers" on what to grown, Bins of last years and year before crop still waiting to move, fusarium concern.

Therapy of calving season----very positive and when set up one gets their exercise each day.

Will be ready to work the open cows by mid April to early May. Will work calves and brand, needle up before getting the machinery out on the land.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...