• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At some point, prices may get high enough to overcome lack of confidence in this industry....or build in enough risk premiums to overcome the political risk hanging over the livestock industry. Fundamentals and profitability are improving, but I still see little in the way of growth-expansion. Feds are doing their part to improve macro conditions...not so much provincial-local government....vanity getting in the way.
    But this wasn't the point of your thread. Would have Oct stop at 225ish, but think party just getting started in the front. Believe I was in Errols or Charlies camp last quarter regarding heightened awareness towards hedging.
    Hope there is a rocket ride like you suggest...not a false breakout...and producers price-hedge wisely.

Comment

Bucket, you have identified what is moving the market, usual rhetoric does not apply. This is what some traders/analysts are having trouble with. Imminent crash ? very unusal fundamenatls suggest otherwise{stranger things have happened, BSE}.

Comment

Cotton, face it, gold has lost its lustre -AGAIN. I am not willing to wait 30 years for the next rebound. It just reinforces the old addage, "every dog has his day".

Comment

Lack of support when bse hit is one reason this industry is cautious.

Older and real cattle guys will sell out or sell down and rebuild if the younger resources are available. In many instances they are not.

Talk the trade thing all you want. You still need the physical cattle to make it all work. Fact is, its a pretty tough business to start up.

And talking about the impending down turn won't encourage many to increase numbers. Actually quite the opposite.

Comment

Anyone here have relatives/parents who grew up during the Great Depression? If so, you will know that it changed them. I knew people of that generation who, even when they had money in the bank, lived like it could disappear at any moment. They were cautious, uneasy with risk, and lived with the thought that it could happen again.

Today's cattle producers have been affected the same way. When you live on the edge for that long, it affects you. Security becomes the priority, and a lot of the ones selling out now are likely just trying to retire debt before they retire. Debt reduction and elimination is our top priority too. Not selling the cows though.

As for this trading thing, it's something we've never gotten into here. We use the price assurance program, and leave the paper trading to others. At least we've got a base under us in case of a disaster, but still have the upside open. We know guys who locked in the feeders they bought last spring to contracts with feedlots who were just going crazy watching much higher priced cattle go through the ring this fall. Who would have guessed?

Crazy times.

Comment

https://www.agriville.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewThread.cgi?1395846522

In the past 11 years i have watched nearly all the commodities set there new trading ranges just like they did in the 70's.

The great part is we are not going to have as long of a wait for another round of ranges,unless of course someone steps in and stops the madness.

Comment

A 400lb western Canadian calf is now worth . . . .

one (1) ounce of gold plus eight (8) ounces of silver(converted to loonie tunes).

Comment

Good comparison Eroll
                  What is barley per bushel worth when that calf is butcher weight?

Comment

I will wait until they are worth 3 magic beans again. Then get my kid buying them.

Comment

A 400lb western Canadian calf is now worth . . . .

nearly 800 bushels of U.S. cash corn currently bid at $1.70/bu delivered U.S. elevator = $1.90/bu Cdn funds

Comment

no need for cattle price risk management . . . this is the new norm

(tell me to shut-up)

Comment

feeders up the peg again today, live up 2.3.

Comment

Can remember a time when stock steer calves were 40 cents a pound,top quality milling wheat was $1.20 a bushel if you had wheat board quota or 60 cents a bushel if you sold it on feed or black market.

Comment

Cattle price risk management won't mean a thing when this party crashes. Ontario's insurance program - 100 million dollar fund won't even cover 1/2 of the Ontario beef industry, if prices were to drop 25%, let alone 50%. This has already been admitted by directors of the provincial association.

Kind of doubtful if any province has the guts to completely back their cattle insurance programs if the bottom fell out completely.

Comment

15444....provincial directors have heads up their ass....they are the problem. Covering ag losses is the least of the problem....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...