• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bred Cow Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Moose thing. Swathing Barley North of us that we will harvest in 3 to 5 days if the weather holds. Come around a corner and wow. 5 moose. two big males and three females. all having fun in my barley.
    Yes they make the best steaks. When I was young dad and his friends would go to Hudson Bay and hunt every fall. Ah childhood memories.

Comment

We've seen a lot of $2000.00 culls this fall. 1600 lb at $1.25 gets it. Lots of cows go for more than $1.25 as well, so even a lighter cow can make it easily if she's got some quality.

Comment

Gonna buy a BIG freezer, see if what you guys say is true. For sure, the dog will be pleased. Moose are plentiful even down South. I thought they liked the bush up north.

Comment

Moose are now everywhere. Use to be you had to hunt the forest. But now you just have to be lucky and get drawn.

Comment

Can you imagine if early people hadn't almost wiped out the buffalo and they were running wild like deer and moose.
            Can't imagine hitting moose or buffalo with a car at 100 km/hr.

Comment

A huge buck was watching me try to fix the combine last night. A rack the size of a Greyhound bus. He didn't pay any attention to me at all. He had to weigh a lot more than a steer.

Comment

What is seen as "quality" in a cull cow to achieve the high prices would make her a poorer cow in terms of being a cow in my herd. I don't want terminal cows.

Lots of real cows @1300lb that are 10 years plus, done some work in their lives are only going to be D3/4s and bring $1-$1.15 at current prices. Thats why I queried whether bred cows could expect to bring a $1000 premium over culls.

Comment

You don't have to be lucky to be drawn for moose. You just have to be a Wildlife Federation member to be drawn, so I hear!

Poaching isn't just for egg cooking, so I hear!

Since farmers don't do anything except provide the habitat for the southern moose population, I consider luck to be a no hunting sign. City member, learn to tithe if you want legal access to private land. Now that bothers the Federation, so I hear!

Not a hunter. I just like hearing things that are alive!

As for the thread, no amount of head smacking will stop farmers from chasing the current quality crop winners by trying to overproduce them next season in expectation that they will hold in price. Sorry, but you have to have it now, and not priced.

I'd tell you how that works, but some industry player would just tell me the cost of carry will just eat me up.

Comment

Same as Kato, seen lots of 2k plus cows sell this fall. I like my 1300-1400 lb girls as well, but so many guys are now looking for the girls that will grow into some big cheques. BSE is a distant memory and feed costs no longer matter I guess. When guys can sell some of these big old girls and their weaned calves for almost 4k a pop, I can't blame them.

Comment

Instead of issuing tags and reducing the moose numbers the saskatchewan government hired a helicopter to net and tag moose so they could track them. Track them where.? They were going across highway 11.

So they kept the moose and the insurance costs as well. Brilliant hey.

Comment

I'm hoping the current prices will hold out as we are thinking of selling our girls and calves in January. I guess for those selling its a great way to exit....I wonder how long the prices will stay at this level? and for those thinking of buying more cows to expand would it be crazy or just very profitable?

Comment

Apparently the bred sales around here are already booked up.

Ours are going nowhere. Why? Things are just starting to be fun! We've been waiting for this for too long to cut and run now.

Comment

I'M with you KATO...keep them until they go down enough so someone can afford them...;-)

Comment

You can go on the SERM website and check your chances of being drawn for moose. Last time I checked for zone 42 it was about a 15% chance.

I agree with reigning in spending.

Comment

We were offered A really good price for purebred bred heifers and turned it down, time to tighten the cinch and enjoy the ride!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...