• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Opportunity

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Opportunity

Just back from 2 weeks in China and thought I would give those of you who have decided not to examine the opportunity we have as an industry a bit of an update.

Call my points ideas, call them opinion, or call them BS, it does not really matter to me. I am dedicated to the cause of finding a better way for the beef industry in our country and will not stop until that is achieved.

Do we need an authentic Canadian plant to market branded Canadian beef throughout the world?

There has never been doubt in my mind and every step I take into the beef world, deeper and deeper, proof appears.

The money and infrastructure in China is awe inspiring.... Traveling from Beijing by train to Weifang and then by plane to Shanghai and finally Hong Kong, gave me a lot better prospective than the last time over. Meeting with numerous businessmen, politicians and industry officials showed me why we have not made any headway in a part of the world that has more potential to buy our beef than anywhere else. And by the way - my trip did not include any government official comrade from Canada. They all seem quite comfortable to allow our industry to suck the tit of Uncle Sam and direct profit HIS way.

The bullshit about Asia being a market for offcuts and offals is pathetic. It is only a market for those beef parts because America and the Chinese who don't really like Americans have made it that way.

Can we sell high end middle cuts to China.... Every piece off every fat steer we grow in this country and then some. And at the best price in the world.

Anyone who wants to argue that fact is simply gobbling up rhetoric from those who don't want to believe it is possible.

But this is not going to be a Cargill bashing post. Let them offer products to brokers in Asia in the lazy assed way they have been offering it for the last 30 or 40 years; not caring if they sell an ounce of branded Canadian Beef and taking every cent of help they get from our government and industry organisations along the way when they sell an ounce or two. NB tried the same route --- brokers, and I will not mention the folly I found out that is happening from other small players currently taking more of that money and screwing around in Hong Kong etc.

So how do we reach this overwhelming market.

First off, branded Canadian Beef.

Preferably from an Authentic Canadian packer... Which is the only way right now because there is no custom kill capacity --- unless you want to play a small game forget about the industry at large.

Forget the broker route. Brokers are about the same as multinational packers dealing with dollars and dollars only. Branding to these folks is after the fact. Promoting with assistance of government at taxpayers and producer levy expense.

The goal is to reach a wholesaler, retailer or food service directly. Wholesaling has also become direct marketing, which has more potential every year.

Get the consumer involved in how. We could actually ask the Asian people how they would like us to cut a beef carcass for them or send them carcasses and let them cut them themselves. These people are small and mostly healthier than people in the western world. A dinner out is a round table with various dishes prepared in a very different way than any Chinese restaurant you will see here.

How about slicing a 2 inch thick triple A natural raised rib eye steak at an angle into thin pieces and let the chops sticks have at er.

And last but not least - keep producers involved. I know that the time for asking producers to help fund a project like a value chain export market proposal has long past. I will however be asking for participation on numerous levels from producers when our goal is reached.

Now come on boys and girls - pump me some questions, criticize my comments. I would truly love to wake the industry in this country up once again and take some responsibility for our own destiny.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...