• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEAVY HAND OF THE CFIA---UPDATE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kato, "Do the RCMP stop every car on the road and check everyone's seatbelt? No. Do they pull people's licences for driving five over the speed limit. No."

Do they check many cattle for eartag retention? NO. So there is no difference there.
    As for not checking loads of beef coming in from the south - that fits with the theory of CFIA being a subordinate of USDA. It will be their mandate to allow US beef in with no impediment, something not reciprocated for cattle heading south.

Happy Trails, my point was that impeding commerce is of no consequence as long as it is not costing the producer time or money as in the case of brand inspection.
    I saw EIDs demo'd in the mid 90s in Europe. Reading cattle in and out of an auction with an overhead reader on a single lane alley. Didn't hold up commerce much - they still sold 1000 fat cattle, one at a time, through the auction ring in a regular length of sale day.

Comment

Looking back now it is a good thing I got nailed by the CFIA. Because of my background of "diagnosis solving" in large beef cow herds from 1977-1995 I took it on to get to the bottom of the problem. I went into agribition last fall (esp through the commercial barns where I used to compete) met people and listened to their experiences. I went to the trade booths as well with the tag manufactures and CCIA group. Some who were on my emails ----I reached out and connected to many people.

1)It appears there is a tag retention problem and has been for a long time especially to those that go into community pastures in SasK. Not a tagging facility.

2)One pasture I am in still has a manditory fly tag program as well right by Lake Diefenbaker. That means extra tagging as well each year---Lots of holes.

3) Cows and BUlls can accept 1 or two times tagging but get into the 7-9 year mark there is problems.

4)My witness list is extensive that is why I was given two day hearing. This case might help/change or do something to help those of us in that situatioon.

5)I do have a concern of all the tags that go astray. Evidence of what is happening to them will come out at the hearing.

6)In the areas around Saskatoon the livestock knowledge to many is minimal. Some don't even know CCIA vs CFIA and don't seem to care to learn.

7)PFRA pasture managers are not on the same SONG SHEET TO THE RULES.

8) Still alot of confusion over the CCIA poster that was major advertisement last fall, CCIA and CFIA still squabbling over that.

My case has been put together as a CASE REPORT and will be with Power-point. The western College of Veterinary Medicine is already inquiring about a presentation. FIrst the hearing----Interest now in a radio talk show.

Comment

Maybe this would be another excellent
        presentation for the Agricultural Service
        Boards to consider for their Convention.

Comment

We have noticed higher tag losses in our
          2009 calves than in previous years. Same
          tag brand, same ear, same person applying
          tags.
          We always check before shipping anything,
          but thanks to Ken's experience, we now
          send a signed affidavit with our cattle
          that CCIA tags were checked and intact on
          all animals on the load, when they left
          the end of our loading chute.

Comment

3) Cows and BUlls can accept 1 or two times tagging but get into the 7-9 year mark there is problems.

Keep up the pressure SADIE. I am curious why not go into an old hole? My cows hardly notice when I don't poke a new hole.

Comment

Per---Primary principle in tagging and when you are facing tag-loss. You are not supposed to use an old hole.

When you talk to industry reps and anyone when dealing with tag retention problems those are one of the first questions they ask you.

2---There are several issues when dealing with tag retention.

--tag comes apart (alflex), holes get too large--(necrosis around Male button) this is why you are supposed to dip each button in dis-infectant, backs of buttons break off, stems break off, then comes the strings on bales that catch and tear out tags---some producers argue bales on sides versis bales on end. Personnally I prefer to totally remove strings.

---Since my 10 month investigation there are several producers and more coming aboard all the time that have evidence that they complained to the manufacturer and got new bags of RFID buttons gratus as replacement of faulty buttons. Note that any tag problems you are supposed to contact CCIA directly---This will be one recommendation to come out at this hearing that there has to be an independant complaint centre set up to test these tags on cow-herds independant from CCIA like the Western College of Veterinary Medicine and possible the Turmundy farm research station.

Thankyou for your comments Sean Mcgrath I just got an email from Lee Gunderson from Cattlemen Calgary and their stats from the auction marts have a 5-6% tag retention loss at each turn of the cattle movement ---minimum. That is calves and Yearlings.

Comment

phone calls are coming in across western Canada offering support to me after reading the May 20 issue pg 75.

The amazing comments keep repeating themselves. Trouble with RFID tags especially the Allflex brand. Either CCIA or the manufacturer have replaced 50 -75 tags time and time again telling the party that "you are one of the first to have problems". The poor quality tags that keep breaking apart seem to have been going on for some time now and Allflex has been able to keep a lid on the problem. Allflex has 90 % of the marketshare. I have heard two complaints from Ytex tags now also.

I hope those that read the Western Producer see MR. STEVE PRIMROSE'S comments that tags are 99.99 % retention. I am working on a group email to the CCIA at this time Demanding Mr. Primrose's Resignation from the CCIA immediately.

He will be at the hearing on June 15 & 16 under Oath.

Comment

phone calls are coming in across western Canada offering support to me after reading the May 20 issue pg 75.

The amazing comments keep repeating themselves. Trouble with RFID tags especially the Allflex brand. Either CCIA or the manufacturer have replaced 50 -75 tags time and time again telling the party that "you are one of the first to have problems". The poor quality tags that keep breaking apart seem to have been going on for some time now and Allflex has been able to keep a lid on the problem. Allflex has 90 % of the marketshare. I have heard two complaints from Ytex tags now also.

I hope those that read the Western Producer see MR. STEVE PRIMROSE'S comments that tags are 99.99 % retention. I am working on a group email to the CCIA at this time Demanding Mr. Primrose's Resignation from the CCIA immediately.

He will be at the hearing on June 15 & 16 under Oath.

Comment

I'm closer to Steve's view than yours SADIE but the claim of 99.99% is ridiculous unless it was taken out of context.
                    We have been very happy with the Allflex tags - we have never had one break or come apart. The very odd one we lose always tears out of the ear. One thing I never see mentioned is the # lost due to frozen ears. I've seen a few calves around that would be tagged at birth into frozen ears and later lost the tag.
                    I spoke to my vet on this issue last week and he felt the retention rates were very high. Proof of the quality of the tag/retention in his opinion was the fact that the buffalo guys can keep them in pretty well.

Comment

Just got a call from a buffalo guy at Conguest two days ago. He got his fine after shipping a goup to Winkler Manitoba. He had a high percentage drop out before shipping. He is going the tribunal route as well. Blog the system and drag CFIA through the court rooms. THere are now 6 people going that route instead of paying the monetary fine.

See you in Saskatoon GF on June 15 and 16. You might learn alot. I know I will.

Comment

I have used most ccia tags and all are faulty.The CCIA people are just a bunch of mean pencilpushing idiots.When taggs fall out because of the back button failing there should be so recourse.

Comment

"The CCIA people are just a bunch of mean pencilpushing idiots." Really? I thought CFIA were the enemy here. CCIA was an industry led initiative wasn't it?

Comment

Thanks for the information Pro Farmer.

The calls keep coming in on problems with RFID tags. Made the trip today putting up posters down through Moose Jaw over to Chaplin. Met a rancher who contacted me over the May 20 Western Producer Article Pg 75. He put 150 RFID tags in his cow-herd in 2009. In one year he replaced 65 RFID tags (alflex Brand). I got the tags and a statement from him. He will be on the witness stand. I got the bag of buttons and Female components. The Male studs are all broke around the centre of the studs. Allflex rep replaced him with 75 buttons and new pliers and asked him to keep it quiet. Don't let CCIA know about it.

I have 9 contacts already having fautly RFID tags responding to the producer article. Some from each brand showing concerns. HOW CAN WE HAVE TRACEABILITY WHEN THERE IS NO QUALITY SERIAL NUMBER THAT WE CAN PUT ON THE ANIMAL.

VERY VERY evident that this is a short term tag at the very best.

Presently building the emails of all CCIA board directors and preparing an email asking for QUALITY CONTROL on all RFID TAGS before the system goes forward.

Working on this story getting on two radio talk shows now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...