• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dvld S. AB. US Corn Prices/Starlink

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvld S. AB. US Corn Prices/Starlink

Rockpile

You also had questions about US in the Stat Can thread.

Corn prices are determined based on a premium/basis over CBOT corn futures. Right now the price of corn tract Lethbridge/Brooks (unloaded rail car) is about US 20 cents/bu over CBOT Dec. futures (about USD $2.08/bu Fri, Oct 14). To convert to a Canadian price, you simply convert to tonnes (multiply by 39.368 based on 56 lb/bu) and convert US dollars (using Friday closes, multiply by 1.56). This results in a price of Cdn $140/t. You can add another $5 to $7/t to truck the feedlot. If it is unloaded into an elevator/storage may also be involved.

Where is the corn coming from? Likely Minneasota and N./S. Dakota where cash prices are US $1.60 to $1.70/bu range.

This is the mechanics. I will leave others to comment.

Your question on Starlink corn. US Starlink link corn is very specifically not allowed to be imported into Canada (I would have to dig further for tolerances). How it is enforced/level of testing is something I would have to ask others. Starlink corn is currently being used as livestock feed in the US. Where it is not allowed to be used is domestic human food products. Obviously, it is not allowed to be exported to places like Japan.

Other comments.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has posted information/an advisory Starlink corn rules on their web site.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/bureau/inform/20011010e.shtml

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...