• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum

This is switching the topic from the Statistics Canada one.

Rockpile

The durum market is one of the toughest markets to analyze. Canada represents over 75 % of world durum trade - particularly after making the adjustment of netting out the difference between high quality durum imports into both the US and EU and exports of lower quality product.

The other issue is the quality one. Durum can be split into two markets. One for high quality and willing and able to pay (domestic, US, Europe, some S. American markets, etc) for pasta (1/2 CWD with at least 12 % and a preference for 13 %). This is well defined in terms of knowing the quantities they will buy each year. The other is a more price sensitive market that will buy lower protein 1/2 CWAD as well as 3/4 CWAD (5CWAD can be use too but only if forced - it mostly gets blended anyway). These countries are for the most part in N. Africa. Their needs vary greatly year to year depending on their crop production, their ability to pay/get credit and finally (important these days) their political stability.

The problem when you are basically the only market remains you can overproduce market needs (underproduce as well). A confounding problem in Canada is quality - high quality pasta require high quality seed.

What does this mean for next year? My thoughts are bigger durum acres in Western Canada (yield is a 100 % wild card). We have the potential (realizing I am making comments 7 months before seed is in the ground) to over produce the markets needs. Over the next 6 months, we will also get a better handle on what is happening in N. Africa (seeded during our mid winter/harvest in the late spring/early summer).

Based on this, I would be using CWB durum premiums over CWRS lower than today values (more likely 25 cents/bu). If you live in a region that is suited to growing durum , I would likely keep a normal durum acreage going in based on my crop rotation/risk management strategy.

Another couple of comments on durum. Durum is one wheat where we (the Canadian industry) need to develop new markets. Earle Geddes (CWB) indicated the GRL (grain research lab) is looking at alternative uses in flour/bread. As Canada move ahead with structural changes to the grain industry, whose responsibility should market development be?

A second revolves around the fact Canada carried 2.8 MMT of durum into the 01/02 crop year. Most of this carryover was 3 CWAD but there was a fair bit of low protein 1/2 CWAD. If you were someone in the CWB sales deparment, what decision would you have made in the durum market with regards to selling high quality product at a high value/holding lower quality back to maintain price versus being more aggressive on all grades/potentially lowering total payment prospects.

CharlieP
    Thank-you for your thoughts. Now may seem early, but this is when I like to start my planning for next year. Wait too long and you can't trust the market intelligence - it becomes too biased towards the industry.
    I liked your comments on who should pay for market developement. The farmer does, one way or another, even though others reap the benefits. Just look at the US Wheat Associates, who funds them, and who runs it. As for non-board grains here, who is paying with all of the check-offs we have? It's always the farmer.
    I am in an area that consistantly grows high grade and high protien durum. The last couple of years, I have been scared of by seeding intention figures. This year, with drought, durum was really iffy here. You need good June rains. And, I was right in backing off. But, because we do control world markets with our production, I am still trying to get a read on what impact Sept 11 might have on this crop, considering where much of it is sold.
    Rockpile

Comment

Rockpile

A couple of questions for you.

1) Have you looked at/participated in the Navigator durum contracts. For those that are following this thread/may not be familar with durum, Navigator is a high gluten stength durum with a target market of the high quality Italian/Europe pasta market.

2) What is the future of variety specific programs from the CWB/grain companies?

3) Do these variety specific programs have a fit in your business? The most obvious is malt barley but there are other examples in special oil property canolas?

4) How should the financial rewards of special property varieties crop be shared between the grain companies and farm managers? How will you know if you are being treated fairly in this process? Are there other ways a grain company can support farm managers (eg. provide seed, financing benefits, crop scouting, etc.).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...