• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn Feeding Efficiancey

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn Feeding Efficiancey

Charlie do you have any numbers on the efficiancey of feed corn to cattle as opposed to barley or wheat?

Thanks

Corn vs bly vs wheat. I'm going to confine my points to the energy protein components of each feed. The are differences in the amino acids, and the trace minerals but most feedlots don't worry about the AA that much (monogastric animals and dairys do).

Corn is 1.76 Bly 1.66 wheat 1.77 Digestible Energy MCal per Lb. Protein Corn is 10, 12.5 for Bly and wheat is 15%. So interms of feeding or efficiency Barley is the grain of choice for feedlots in Alberta, then corn then wheat. The reasons are more a preference of handling and reactions in the steers rumen. Corn has a higher energy but the energy is more closely realted to the digestibility of barley. Wheat is digested too quickly and tends to create acidosis causing the animals to go off feed. Wheat also tends to give rise to more ulcers and liver abscesses if feed at high rates over a long period of time. There are precautions and ways to deal with wheat but feedlots typically will switch to corn first then if the price balance is right will go to wheat.

With respect of feed pricing I have heard many feedlots now sourcing corn instead of barley especially for heavy feeder cattle.

Feedlot animals don't do well when you start switching all the time, if possible make only one switch during the feeding period. ie start them on barley then move to corn or start on corn then move to wheat. the second swithc will cause many problems with consumption, acidosis, bloat etc.

Comment

I will get a nutritionist to answer.

Charlie P.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...