• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feeding rumensin to weaning heifer calves

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeding rumensin to weaning heifer calves

Just a tip to all cattlemen out there. Never feed rumensin to growing, weaning, heifer calves. It will significantly reduce milk production when those heifers become cows. I know, I learned the hard way. I fed rumensin with oats and barley to weaning heifer calves, through the winter, in 1996,97,and 98. And those cows have hardly any milk now. Just a suggestion!

Was it the rumensin, or was it too much grain. Several studies have shown that if heifers recieve too high an energy ration as they go through puberty that they will have poor milking ability as cows. It has to do with cell differentiation in the udder. Too much energy results in more fat cells formed and fewer milk secreting cells. Since rumensin improves feed efficiency the grain portion of the ration could likely have been reduced.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...