• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calf Hair Coat Abnormality

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calf Hair Coat Abnormality

We just had a calf yesterday out of a five year old cow.The calf had a very short and fine hair coat and was almost bald in places.It seemed like the coat was not developed yet the calf was average size and very strong and healthy.Has anyone seen anything like this before?Will the hair grow in?

Have you considered the possibility the calf in question was simply premature. Check the tooth development. Loose teeth and fine hair are good test for this condition,

Comment

I've had that problem too. The Vet told me that it was a congenital defect. One particular cow had a calf born that way about every second year. Out of five calves she got three were like that. They don't live very long because they have no protection from the cold and the sun. They would have to be kept inside all the time. They all eventually died, sometimes within a few days.

Comment

This is the first calf I've had like this from the cow and she is 5 but my vet said the same kind of thing.The calf is doing okay but the weather is nice and we have her in the barn.The hair does seem to be getting longer, so hopefully she will be alright.Thanks for the info Dan.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.