• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

calf losses

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calf losses

I would like to know everyones calf loss ratios and their reasons they are so good or bad. Me and my best friend run just over 100 cows each. yet by pasture weve both lost about 5 % of our calves due to various things. Yet some of my neighbours claim they lose 0-2%. I believe they bs me because I lost that many this year to stuff thats unpreventable like a cow laying on her calf! whats everyone elses?

If I can get away with 5% loss I'm happy. Sometimes its worse more like 7%. A lot depends on how many twins I get to make up for my mistakes. I think I can remember once when I had a calf for every cow but a few were not strong calves and by weaning time things were back to normal. So far this spring I have had a poor start but look for things to improve. Weather has been good, that helps.

Comment

If you are getting through the entire year with a 5% loss you are running a decent average. There are a few who will come in at the 2% on a good year but it is very difficult to do year after year. I have run as many as 350 cows and on some years I would have killed for a 5% loss. One small epedemic of scours can be devastating. I say at 5% keep ur the good work.

Comment

The saying goes that 'If you have livestock, sooner or later you will also have deadstock'. It's not very comforting, but unfortunately true. It's just simple statistics. If you poll a group of 300 people, and then go back a year later, it's inevitable that some will be gone. All you can do is try your hardest. If you really check up on those who say they never have trouble, you will find they just may want you to think they have no problems. When you're dealing with living creatures, unfortunately you only have a certain amount of control over what happens.

Comment

Of all the cows that calve it works out to around 2% loss when the twins are counted in. Take them out though and we run around 4-6% loss. Sometimes this is higher if we have a scours outbreak. So the 5% is a decent average to have

Comment

glad to see somebody is not afraid to show their true colors, when you have livestock you will have deadstock!!! The only people who don't have any losses are the people who don't own livestock!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...