• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A test for seed drills ....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A test for seed drills ....

Any canola seeded the past few days and next week will be interesting to see what can get established. Drying very bad today

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Any canola seeded the past few days and next week will be interesting to see what can get established. Drying very bad today
    Looking very grim... very possible that there wont be a canola crop at all in our area. But too wet I lose a few acres because they are unseedable the rest runs 70+ waaaaa waaaa waaa. Some guys dont have a ****in sniff.
    Last edited by biglentil; May 20, 2018, 13:46.

Comment

My neighbor went out spread fertilizer and seeded with discers. ...my guess he nets more than the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
        Looking very grim... very possible that there wont be a canola crop at all in our area. But too wet I lose a few acres because they are unseedable the rest runs 70+ waaaaa waaaa waaa. Some guys dont have a ****in sniff.
        Still not wet enough. Too wet to seed and you get a big fat zero as well for canola and you get to fight the weeds that come later. That is what too wet is.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          Still not wet enough. Too wet to seed and you get a big fat zero as well for canola and you get to fight the weeds that come later. That is what too wet is.
          What does crop insurance pay if not a single acre of my Canola establishes and what were my inputs? What are your inputs on an acre too wet to seed and what does crop insurance pay? Thats what I thought!
          Last edited by biglentil; May 20, 2018, 16:29.

Comment

This should be interesting watching the crop come up from different drills. I use an old 5710 that has served me well and there are Seedhawks, Seedmasters, 3310s and 3320s all around me. I will watch them all and try to see if any standout above my old 5710 and this year should be the year, with no rain at all and lots of wind.

Comment

If we don’t get a lot of rain this June and July it won’t matter what it was seeded with.

WAKE UP GRAIN BUYERS.

Comment

get out of contracts before its to late , this is the real thing , and the bastards won't be able to bullshit the market this time

Comment

What does crop insurance pay if not a single acre of my Canola establishes and what were my inputs? What are your inputs on an acre too wet to seed and what does crop insurance pay? Thats what I thought!
                  we've had both , neither are any fun. i don't know how scic can hold you to that establishment thing if its to dry to grow . all risk???????? isn't it ?????

Comment

You still get to guy chemical and or diesel to fight weeds on the land once it does dry up so it is not zero. Last year I had a seed in mud and crop a dud crop that made less than too wet to seed insurance. Seed a crop and then have it drown out is about the worst situation.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                      This should be interesting watching the crop come up from different drills. I use an old 5710 that has served me well and there are Seedhawks, Seedmasters, 3310s and 3320s all around me. I will watch them all and try to see if any standout above my old 5710 and this year should be the year, with no rain at all and lots of wind.

Time will tell

Comment

Planted on the 13th with the Horsch
                        Had decent moisture at time , very dry since .

🤞

Comment

I may have to dust off the trading account and buy some call options. Either that or close
                          it out and buy beer.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post

we've had both , neither are any fun. i don't know how scic can hold you to that establishment thing if its to dry to grow . all risk???????? isn't it ?????
                            Agreed its a bunch of silliness. The test should be if a majority of the seeds have sprouted. They are welcome to flip over the clay bricks and see the sprouts coming out of expensive blue seeds for themselves. Seeded 1.0 inch deep into moisture, deeper than typical because the moisture seems so fleeting. Maybe should have rolled right behind, but that gets deep for Canola. And would be deeper yet if the rain they were calling for would have materialized.
                            Last edited by biglentil; May 20, 2018, 21:10.

Comment

I don't care if you planted the canola by hand! When you get hot, LOW humidity, and that relentless bitch of a ***** wind.....what wouldn't dry out. I haven't looked at ours since the day we pulled off the fields.....I can't muster the courage to go look and I don't want to be mad.....wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter????? Just keep asking yourself that question with what ever farm weather dilemma you're dealing with.

Look, I did my part. Crawling around seeding at 3.5-3.8 miles per hour, crawling around on hand and knees checking and re-checking seeding depth. Proper air delivery speeds. Pressing it onto and into moist soil. Increasing packing pressure to ensure good seed to moist soil contact. Starter fert in the two inch seed row, the rest placed midrow. Treated with Lumiderm. What more can I do....besides pay the ****ing bills and hope Mother Nurture co-operates and gives me a chance.

Yesterday I talked to a guy who must still be optimistic....seeded canola on flax stubble beside us. That last quarter we were holding back finishing seeding got seeded to wheat, it was supposed to be flax but we only got .13 of an inch of rain the last shot.

Lol...talk about optimistic! A guy here is direct seeding canola into a fifteen year old grass field....OMG is all I can say! I'm hoping he changes his mind after one drill pass....it must be completely devoid of moisture. To each their own.

Maybe anything that disturbs the soil the least will be the best. Disc seeders and planters. I even question the midrow bander and the soil fracturing it is causing and making it potentially easier to dry out the seed bed. I don't know if everyone realizes how dire the situation is in some parts of Western Canada. We are not sitting on an abundance of soil moisture to wick up and keep the seed rows moist.

Our next chance at precip in my neck of the woods is towards the end of next week....looks like another lottery. For those lucky enough to have adequate to abundant moisture to get canola established....be greatful.

This isn't fun anymore.

Edit, next week means the end of this week I guess.... today is Sunday.
                              Last edited by farmaholic; May 20, 2018, 22:00.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.