• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here comes the sun heat and W I N D!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Who would have big enough balls to price any 2018 production in the dry areas?
    i' ll bet there's lots done . you will only hear about them if it rains and price drops though

Comment

You know its dry when the regular "its still too wet" whiners are no where to be found. Give me too wet any day, ill dig out my rubber boots and blow the dust off the tow straps. We are close to up shit creek without a paddle, the dealer's showing an Ace. Tell me this what happens to the land price if the stuff doesn't support vegetation? The doorway out gets pretty small if everyone heads for the exits. Not much envy for the bto's this year, glad im not in their shoes. Its painful enough to watch the slow motion train wreck.

Comment

Just so ****ing happy I don't pay any expensive rent(we only rent 30 acres) and all our dirt is paid for. No, I dont want to take one on the chin, it could hurt but won't knock me out if this year is nearly a complete bust. Inputs.... well, let's just say I "am" optimistic. I really don't want to see anyone get crushed because that means I'm going to feel some pain too.

But the dry area is definitely in serious trouble if there isn't some decent rain along the way. I am NOT seeding for the next two days....basically done anyway but I am not opening the ground on that last quarter in the conditions we will be getting in the next two days.

What a stupid way to try and make a living, who in their right ****ing mind would take this kind of risk.

Insurance might be like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

A grand slam seems remote. A home run doesn't even appear possible right now, hoping for at least a base hit, with any luck you might get walked. But being hit by a stray pitch will be like a real poor crop and receiving insurance.....not what you're looking for but it will be a bit of help in keeping you in the game and it might hurt.

Comment

Wiseguy, does Crop Insurance cover greed and stupidity, I don't think I saw it in the insured perils list.

Comment

Big lentil if you ever walked in my boots you would think like me, if i am going to lose this crop bring the drought on, wind hasnt stopped blowing. My issue where to throw the dice at inputs.

Comment

I can still get stuck, or son 2 can. Still not far from a wreck. Mother nature rules.

Comment

100 an acre doesn't work sorry its Saskatchewan, not Iowa.

We have dry cycles and wet the wet lasted longer and was wetter than I would have liked but it has left the building.

Still, have lots of moisture north of the valley but the wind is sucking it up real quick.

Deep down ground still wet.

Our genius at 70 paying on open bush and breaking land is really special.

Good luck all Farming in Western Canada is not Easy as some thought.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                  You know its dry when the regular "its still too wet" whiners are no where to be found. Give me too wet any day, ill dig out my rubber boots and blow the dust off the tow straps. We are close to up shit creek without a paddle, the dealer's showing an Ace. Tell me this what happens to the land price if the stuff doesn't support vegetation? The doorway out gets pretty small if everyone heads for the exits. Not much envy for the bto's this year, glad im not in their shoes. Its painful enough to watch the slow motion train wreck.
                  totally agree.Especially if a guy also runs cattle.a drought get complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                    totally agree.Especially if a guy also runs cattle.a drought get complicated.
                    Yep, and the problems are more immediate with livestock. Guys that are running out of feed now need grass now and for the summer and to grow feed for next winter and there are no crop insurance cheques forthcoming. A rancher always prays for rain - it's part of the job description.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                      Just so you know; yield is zero when land is too wet too seed. Lots of guys learned that the hard way last year in this county and you still have to clean up the mess. Seed in mud and the crop is a dud is what happened to me last year.

Comment

Think Sask crop insurance has had low rainfall coverage for a number of years.
                        Do other provinces have anything similar?
                        Sask agriculture also produces crop cost of production info, not so much available for livestock.

Comment

Our Neighbor broke up some old grass that wasn't "responding" well anymore. He is probably counting on getting more greenfeed than tame hay off that piece. Abused pastures are barely in catch up mode, there hasn't been alot of rain here yet. Wascana creek native pastures look slow too and the hills may never green up enough for a cow to wrap her tongue around. Yup the cattlemen here will have issues. A piece of alfalfa beside us that isn't very old looks like shit, no rain and a late start.

Comment

Making decisions based on rain forecasts.....we want to apply some Authority to ground seeded to flax. EnviroCan says some rain for Thursday night and 60% chance Friday, which will likely diminish by the time those days arrive). Authority needs rain to activate it. It can safely lay there on the surface waiting because it doesn't photo degrade. But should be applied shortly after seeding AND it's only about $14/ac......just $14/ac more dollars on the table to risk.

Comment

Us to wet guys are finally having some fun seeding..first time in 9 yrs or more.forgot how big my fields really are..
                              Conditions are perfect right now..but as all we will need rain eventually. Will be able to seed approx 100 more acres that have only been summerfallowed since 2010..that has added up to be alot of dollars for our small farm.

Comment

Haven’t done this in years it’s called up and back no turning 60 times and in end seed 100 acres on 160 and even with section control you seeded more. Then Harvey less thanks to mor rain all summer. Dry sucks but welcome to western Canada the 15 wet were not normal

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...