• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Peas 2018-I need some help!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Peas 2018-I need some help!

Well haven’t grown peas for a lot of years. Shouldn’t have to worry about disease from too many peas...it’s been 10 plus years for a lot of my land and some fields I have bought, the old timers never grew them. Looking at the cost of seed and inputs, I’m thinking about replacing oat acres with peas. I have done so much canola and oats and wheat that I would like to give the land a nice break and put pea stubble back into Mother Earth. .Trouble is it’s been so long since I grew them I don’t know what the price outlook for fall is or if there is any money to be made. I hate storing them and handling them again, so I want to sell off the combine. Can anybody tell me what to expect for price? I have heard and read all the bad info from India and I’m sure that’s where all the yellows I used to grow went. So are there other markets now and what is the price expectation? Looking for some good advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by Crestliner; May 6, 2018, 15:33.

This will be worth exactly what you paid for it....**** all.

China is supposedly taking yellows (??????)

It was nice to see alot of tonnes bought at seven after India dropped the tariff bombshell, it took a while but after the shock they "recovered". Quite afew tonnes got bought up in SE Sask and Manitoba(I think) I suspect those may have been US bound. ...anyone????

101????
    Last edited by farmaholic; May 6, 2018, 16:45.

Comment

How much extra demand will be coming from the fractionating plants and when?

Are you close to one?

Comment

yield same as wheat , cost $90/ac to grow . we sold 1/3 for $8 from combine , $6.50-$7 picked up for the rest . and grow high px wheat following year . i like them . schoular in runciman had $6.75 for sept not long ago , we didn't do any , maybe should have

Comment

Sticking with my plan of 10% peas. Southern AB bids have been around 7.00, not setting the world on fire. Hoping for a bit of a surge and also banking on the benefit in future years after peas. Pea seed and treatment is not cheap.

Comment

Pulses in the rotation pay as well in year two with the nitrogen bonus. This is something we never calculate when we add up revenue from pulses. Most calculate the nitrogen benefit as key to better yields the following year as the natural source of N is available during the growing season and seems to benefit the next crop by increasing protein and yield on the subsequent crop.

Yellow pea fall bids are 7. We used to note that peas were a similar price to wheat and so it seems again, as gone are the record high prices of the last few years for all pulse.
            Wheat albeit is a much less risky crop. But pulses tend to have a greater potential for cash shorts increasing bids at local elevators, most years that wheat.

Global production will likely be off the 2017 high but how much that impacts price is difficult to say due to the increasing production in the FSU which sets the global price now, In Canada & the USA we are seeing continental demand supporting the price at 7 to 7 fob in the form of fractionation and feed. At these prices pulse protein is a good substitute for soy meal and often preferred in pork weanling rations.

AS for yield, if you have a low rotational cycle for pulses likely you have low disease threshold so with reasonable rain you should get a decent crop, many new varieties report amazing yields and standability.

The additional bonus is that you get to harvest them first and every acre you pull in early is a plus to your operation big or small.

May the peas be with you always!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...